Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 15 May 2017 (Monday) 22:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5D IV files and compact flash cards

rjharris
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
May 15, 2017 22:08 |  #1

Hi,
I just ordered a 5D IV and was wondering if anybody that had one could chime in as to what size memory cards they're using and how many images they will hold. I ask because I have a few 32 GB cards and was thinking that they should probably hold about 600 images give or take?

Thanks
Rick
This was from my 7D II but thought I'd put it up anyways.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,354 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 5 months ago by John from PA.
May 16, 2017 06:11 |  #2

Use some care in comparing what others are doing vs. your own techniques. Since you appear to be a professional you likely rely heavily on RAW, others may not.

You can get or view a PDF manual at http://gdlp01.c-wss.com ...70/01/eos5d-mk4-im-en.pdf (external link) and page 171 summarizes the image quality and the approximate number of images for an 8 GB card. You will note that the highest quality JPEG is about 8.8 MB and the highest RAW is about 36.8 MB. You can do the math or try some of the online calculators I link to below. Also keep in mind the option of writing the JPEG's to an SD card and the RAW to the CF.

http://memorycardcalcu​lator.com/ (external link)

http://robertscamera.c​om/card-capacity (external link)

https://www.kingston.c​om/us/flash/storage_ch​art (external link)

rjharris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
May 16, 2017 06:18 |  #3

Thanks. I looked for that manual online for a bit last night but gave up when my internet went out for awhile. From this shooting in RAW I should get over 600 shots from a 32 gb card which is plenty for me.

artsf
Joined Sep 2015
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by artsf. 2 edits done in total.
May 17, 2017 11:08 |  #4

raw files on average 35MB;
If you plan on shooting 4k video at all due to the high bitrate, this camera is very picky. You need a minimum of sustained 60MB write speed. I use 256 GB Lexar 1066x with minimum sustained wrte of 65 mb/s; works great. Don't bother with smaller cards, 256gb can barely hold 50 mins of footage. There is only one other similar card by Sandisk. I looked at various tests, SD cards, even the fastest ones, don't seem to perform as robust on 5div for 4k video (massive 500mbit stream). Note, you would need a special USB 3 card reader (Lexar) to even transfer files due to the computer; built-in ones seem to struggle with large exfar formatted cards.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,005 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
May 17, 2017 11:44 |  #5

Canon user documentation for the 5DIV says RAW files are 30MB

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,354 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 5 months ago by John from PA.
May 17, 2017 15:26 |  #6

Wilt wrote in post #18356860 (external link)
Canon user documentation for the 5DIV says RAW files are 30MB

Actually it says the "30M" is the number of pixels recorded and the file size is 36.8 MB.

HOSTED PHOTO

ManiZ
Joined Sep 2009
Mile High City
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by ManiZ. 2 edits done in total.
May 17, 2017 16:09 |  #7

My full-sized raw files have been anywhere from 28MB to 35MB. In fact, I was wondering why that was.

Rick, to answer your question about the card size I use, I recently bought one each of 64GB and 32GB 1000x CF cards plus a 64GB SD, mostly because I intend to record a lot of 1080p/60 video when I travel, along with taking full-raw pictures, and I don't want to worry about card capacity during a day of consistent shooting (that video eats up 1GB /min). With my previous 5D3, one 16GB CF was enough for a couple of days of shooting while traveling because I never shot any video with it.

FWIW, my video records to the CF while raw files are written to both CF and SD.

5D4 Gripped | 16-35 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 85 f1.8 | 600EX-RT | 430EXII | YN-468II | YN-622c | 'Stuff'

rjharris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
May 17, 2017 19:38 |  #8

With a 32 gb card it will hold just under 700 images it says. I don't do video or won't do video with it so I'm thinking I'm good there. I'll probably get another 32gb compact flash and sd card and should be good to go. FWIW I shoot RAW on both cards although for the life of me I'm not sure why as I've never had a card go bad. I guess there's always a first. Thanks everyone.

Rick

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,084 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
May 17, 2017 20:03 |  #9

ManiZ wrote in post #18357088 (external link)
My full-sized raw files have been anywhere from 28MB to 35MB. In fact, I was wondering why that was.

It's based on ISO and image content. You can see in the review... I've attached a screenshot. I've had RAWs as high as 50MB at the higher ISO.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com ...Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV.aspx (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

rjharris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
May 17, 2017 20:43 |  #10

FWIW, here's a shot at ISO 6400. My 7DII wouldn't even come close to this kind of quality. No editing other than setting the luminence noise reduction to 28 and some contrast adjustment.

HOSTED PHOTO

rjharris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
Jun 02, 2017 17:24 |  #11

I just put a 64 gig card in and it's stating I have around 1300 shots on it. My average file size so far is around the 35 mgb area give or take. 27 mgb if I convert them to DNG on importing into lightroom.

Nick5
Goldmember
2,893 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Jun 06, 2017 09:16 as a reply to rjharris's post |  #12

CanonCameraFan wrote in post #18353767 (external link)
I think BJWOK has posted up about using a small amount of flash set up hidden on stage, to fill the artist face. You might search for it or PM him. It was a surprisingly nice explanation, just can't recall where it is. But I think it was on here, as i don't do much on Blogs. He tours with bands hired by them for weeks on end.

I used to use flash at a monthly Saturday Night concert by regional bands at a local church. We're friends with everyone there and have known the couple that runs this event for nearly a lifetime. I used to set up lights and rely on flash, worked great, even though a distraction. Super sharp images! Most of these bands are excellent musicians, but have nothing more than smartphone pics on their websites. Some bands really wanted the colors though, so I eventually switched to higher ISO, and sold my (2) 40D's for (2) 7D's.

My last shoot had LED lighting, all Red pointed at the female singers body instead of her face. Horrific to work with but surprisingly nice dramatic images in the end. Feel free to look at my Flickr to see what I've done. The first album is of "Signals"; concert held at a local bar.

Woof!

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

sponsored links

1,187 views & 3 likes for this thread
5D IV files and compact flash cards
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.