Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 17 May 2017 (Wednesday) 23:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

3rd Party batteries and 5D4

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,442 posts
Joined Nov 2008
May 17, 2017 23:21 |  #1

I used to use 3rd party batteries until I had my Nikon D750s freeze up at a wedding when I put some known 3rd party batteries in them. I've moved back to Canon and need to pick up a couple extras for my 5D4. Anyone use 3rd party in this camera and care to recommend a brand?

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

sponsored links
PJJ205
194 posts
Joined Aug 2015
May 17, 2017 23:28 |  #2

Used Wasabi in mine with no issues. Talley has some good info on them in one of the threads around here.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
May 18, 2017 05:03 |  #3

Wasabi or sterlingtek...

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,783 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 18, 2017 05:14 |  #4

Been using Wasabi LP-E6 replacements for years. No issues.

Tom

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
May 18, 2017 17:52 |  #5

I have been using Watson and Canon batteries interchangeably very day in the 5D4 over the last month, and so far no issue.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

chuckmiller
357 posts
Joined May 2012
Tampa, Florida
May 18, 2017 23:09 |  #6

What about recharge time on 3rd party batts? Someone recently said their Wasabi batts work in the camera but take far far longer to recharge.

Thoughts?

Bassat
6,783 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 19, 2017 05:59 as a reply to chuckmiller's post |  #7

I've been using Wasabi LP-E6 replacements for years. No way I'd ever notice a difference in recharge times. I've got better stuff to do that watch batteries recharge. Of course, I don't wait until the last minute to recharge, either. I thought the point of spare batteries was to always have power on hand.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
May 19, 2017 07:02 |  #8

I use the 3rd party chargers with the 3rd party batteries. I have seen some strange behavior with the 3rd party batteries in the Canon charger. I think the chip in the 3rd party doesn't quite work the same with the charger as the Canon charger, so the batteries will appear to be charged fully, but aren't, etc.

I think the chip has just enough info on it to get it past the Canon cameras, but not enough to be fully accurate on the #bars refresh and also reporting to the charger.

Bassat
6,783 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 19, 2017 07:25 |  #9

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18358279 (external link)
I use the 3rd party chargers with the 3rd party batteries. I have seen some strange behavior with the 3rd party batteries in the Canon charger. I think the chip in the 3rd party doesn't quite work the same with the charger as the Canon charger, so the batteries will appear to be charged fully, but aren't, etc.

I think the chip has just enough info on it to get it past the Canon cameras, but not enough to be fully accurate on the #bars refresh and also reporting to the charger.

I agree with TeamSpeed. Using the proper charger seems to matter. I never paid attention to that before. Twice my Canon-charged Wasabi battery has acted strange. Now I am using the Wasabi charger for Wasabi batteries. No hint of strangeness.

Tom

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
May 19, 2017 09:27 |  #10

huntersdad wrote in post #18357340 (external link)
I used to use 3rd party batteries until I had my Nikon D750s freeze up at a wedding when I put some known 3rd party batteries in them.

After that experience you want to try 3rd party batteries again?

You're a professional photographer with a $3500 5D4 and you want to go cheap on the batteries.
Dude, WTF?

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
May 19, 2017 09:45 |  #11

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18358364 (external link)

You're a professional photographer with a $3500 5D4 and you want to go cheap on the batteries.
Dude, WTF?

We haven't heard that before have we? :)

Let's recap what is said in EVERY SINGLE other thread that talks about aftermarket batteries, when this comment comes up:

- Batteries are independent of the price you pay for a camera. (for example a 7D uses the same battery as a 5D4, but they are wildly in different price points)

- Manufacturer-branded batteries ALWAYS have a 2 to 3x markup.

- There are only a few battery manufacturers out there for camera batteries, so just because Canon is on the plastic case, Canon doesn't make them.

- There are tried and true aftermarket batteries that work very well, across years of experiences and thousands of shooters.

- Out of 10+ years of DSLRs, the number of stories where a camera was adversely harmed by an aftermarket battery would be .00001% of the total sales of cameras in that period. In fact, find just 3 posts here on POTN in the past years where somebody shows that their camera was broken by a defective battery? It will probably be hard to find even 1.

- In all of the years of using aftermarket batteries, the single largest complaint you will see is that they don't seem to last as long as the factory equivalent. However factory equivalents don't last 3x the time as these aftermarkets, so you are still ahead buying aftermarkets. In other cases, though, you will see that Canon batteries fail too, and sometimes last much less than aftermarket, so there are the stories to counter with.

- The second most prevalent complaint will be that the batteries get stuck, but those don't come up very often, and usually with knockoffs or non-name 3rd party versions.

Bassat
6,783 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 19, 2017 09:52 |  #12

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18358364 (external link)

Dude, WTF?

A camera having an issue when 3rd party battery is in use is a very, very loose correlation. Nothing about cause and effect is established.

I wrecked my motorcycle again yesterday. This time the bike got hurt, and I didn't! (I could afford a 5D4 if I just sold the damn thing!) There was SpeedWay gas in the tank. I'm pretty comfortable with the fact that Speedway Premium did not cause the accident.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 7 months ago by TeamSpeed.
May 19, 2017 09:54 |  #13

I have had a camera lock up on me too, and it turned out to be a TC, and not the battery. Popping the battery and reseating/resetting it made it appear it was the battery, but then it would lock up again "randomly" later.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
May 19, 2017 10:16 |  #14

I understand all points of view. But the OP is a pro and - most likely - has some pretty expensive gear besides his $3500 5D4.
Why buy 3rd party batteries just to save a fist full of dollars? Then you don't have to be concerned with what type of charger to
use, or other issues.

But...to each his own.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
May 19, 2017 10:19 |  #15

The savings of 4 LP-E6 Sterlingteks over the Canon equivalent buys you a factory grip, just to give an example. For a pro, a grip might be very useful, and having 4 batteries as backs just as much.

sponsored links

6,710 views & 10 likes for this thread
3rd Party batteries and 5D4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.