Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 20 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 11:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
May 18, 2017 10:15 |  #1036

CheshireCat wrote in post #18357565 (external link)
Yeah, right, like this one:
http://www.cbsnews.com ...-highlight-button-update/ (external link)

Also read this for extra fun/sadness:
http://www.freepatents​online.com/crazy.html (external link)

Cheshire Cat, those links you provided seem to back up what I had said, not to discredit it.

So yeah, it is just like I said, and just like Raptor said.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
May 18, 2017 10:19 |  #1037

Wilt wrote in post #18357586 (external link)
And we know the A9 has to shoot flash at 1/250 to sync

Why so slow? . Why not any speed we want? . If I'm going to use flash for fill with birds in flight, and I want to freeze wing motion, then what good is this 1/250 synch speed going to do me?

Sheesh! . This is 2017, and yet in some ways it feels like we're still stuck back in 2005. . Canon and Sony BOTH need to get with the program and step up their game in this area and many other areas as well.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
May 18, 2017 10:21 |  #1038

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18357604 (external link)
Why so slow? . Why not any speed we want? . If I'm going to use flash for fill with birds in flight, and I want to freeze wing motion, then what good is this 1/250 synch speed going to do me?

Sheesh! . This is 2017, and yet in some ways it feels like we're still stuck back in 2005. . Canon and Sony BOTH need to get with the program and step up their game in this area and many other areas as well.

Hokay, go use a leaf shutter supertelephoto lens from phase one then.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
May 18, 2017 10:26 |  #1039

Guise, we have a disease. You have it, I have it, your mother has it. It's called GAS.

XT2 | 16-140mm

anthony667
Joined Mar 2017
NYC
May 18, 2017 10:41 |  #1040

Recently we've seen a trend of Sony shying away from supplying Nikon with their best sensors, and Canon/Nikon being behind in sensor development.

I doubt either Canon or Nikon will be "doomed", at least not until Sony releases a comprehensive variety of full sized pro DSLRs. The only issue I have with Sony is that their "compact" DSLRs bodies dont feel rugged enough, ergonomically not suited for prolonged periods of professional shooting, and dont have enough quick access buttons.

"Always keep practicing to achieve higher levels of artistry, never be satisfied with your work, and never start to believe that you know everything because that's the day you will stop growing as an artist"

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,277 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
May 18, 2017 11:01 |  #1041

idkdc wrote in post #18357609 (external link)

Even those are not 'at any speed you want'...because the leaf shutters are limited to 1/1600.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
May 18, 2017 11:01 |  #1042

idkdc wrote in post #18357609 (external link)

I'm sorry, I do not know what you are talking about. . I am not familiar with the terms "phase one" and "leaf shutter".

I just want there to be no limitation to the flash synch speed with any of the gear I already use - I think it's ridiculous that I would have to go out and get separate gear just to be able to sync at high speeds. . That was kind of my point - this stuff should be in every camera made. . It's not like it's rocket science.

Wilt
39,277 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
May 18, 2017 11:02 |  #1043

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18357604 (external link)

dunnowhy...have to wait for the A9 to be more thorough tested to understand why, perhaps...for now "that's just the way it is"

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
May 18, 2017 11:04 |  #1044

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18357645 (external link)
I'm sorry, I do not know what you are talking about. . I am not familiar with the terms "phase one" and "leaf shutter".

I just want there to be no limitation to the flash synch speed with any of the gear I already use - I think it's ridiculous that I would have to go out and get separate gear just to be able to sync at high speeds. . That was kind of my point - this stuff should be in every camera made. . It's not like it's rocket science.

It's called physics and line by line reading of the cmos sensor. Global shutter is the only answer. Read about focal plane vs leaf shutter and you'll see that there are pros and cons to both.

XT2 | 16-140mm

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
May 18, 2017 11:06 |  #1045

Wilt wrote in post #18357644 (external link)
Even those are not 'at any speed you want'...because the leaf shutters are limited to 1/1600.

Correct. There is no shutter mechanism that syncs with h flash at any speed without hss workarounds.

XT2 | 16-140mm

Wilt
39,277 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Wilt.
May 18, 2017 11:09 |  #1046

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18357645 (external link)

Lenses made by Schneider to fit the Phase One medium format digital camera have a leaf shutter built in each lens, much like the Hassy lenses for the Hassy 500 series film bodies. Not sure who makes the shutters that are in the lenses, but they do exceed the highest shutter speeds I knew for film cameras with leaf shutters, and x-sync goes all the way up to the shutter's highest speeds.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
May 18, 2017 11:09 |  #1047

idkdc wrote in post #18357651 (external link)
It's called physics and line by line reading of the cmos sensor. Global shutter is the only answer. Read about focal plane vs leaf shutter and you'll see that there are pros and cons to both.

Thanks for the explanation, but, with all due respect, I really don't care about what stuff they put inside the camera - I just want the darn cameras to work the way I need them to work to create the images that I want them to create. . The technology used to accomplish this doesn't interest me in the least. . Just like the car - couldn't care less about what kind of engine it is, just want it to go when I push that gas pedal and stop when I push the brakes, and not use too much gasoline in the meantime.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
May 18, 2017 11:16 |  #1048

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18357655 (external link)
Thanks for the explanation, but, with all due respect, I really don't care about what stuff they put inside the camera - I just want the darn cameras to work the way I need them to work to create the images that I want them to create. . The technology used to accomplish this doesn't interest me in the least. . Just like the car - couldn't care less about what kind of engine it is, just want it to go when I push that gas pedal and stop when I push the brakes, and not use too much gasoline in the meantime.

Then you don't need unlimited x sync speed.

XT2 | 16-140mm

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
May 18, 2017 11:28 |  #1049

My rx1rii will sync up to 1/4000s. Leaf shutter.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART - Sony 70-200GM

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
May 18, 2017 11:29 |  #1050

idkdc wrote in post #18357668 (external link)
Then you don't need unlimited x sync speed.

But I want to use fill flash at 1/2500ths of a second on Red-naped Sapsuckers, so I can freeze their wings as they fly at a downward angle out of their nest hole. . There is a lot of light on the area, but I don't like the shadows on the underside of the wing, and the angle I can shoot from is pretty fixed because of vegetation that is not allowed to be trimmed.

So how is it that I don't need high-speed synch?

My understanding of technology is in no way related to my photographic needs - there is no correlation between the technology that I need and my desire to understand it.

sponsored links

60,448 views & 621 likes for this thread
Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.