Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 17 May 2017 (Wednesday) 23:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

3rd Party batteries and 5D4

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
May 19, 2017 10:19 |  #16

Bassat wrote in post #18358381 (external link)
A camera having an issue when 3rd party battery is in use is a very, very loose correlation. Nothing about cause and effect is established.

I wrecked my motorcycle again yesterday. This time the bike got hurt, and I didn't!

Glad to hear that, we want you around on potn.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,782 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 19, 2017 10:24 |  #17

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18358403 (external link)
I understand all points of view. But the OP is a pro and - most likely - has some pretty expensive gear besides his $3500 5D4.
Why buy 3rd party batteries just to save a fist full of dollars? Then you don't have to be concerned with what type of charger to
use, or other issues.

But...to each his own.

Do you put the most expensive battery you can find in your $20,000+ car, just because it is expensive? I've never seen any evidence anywhere that Canon batteries are better than Wasabi. Just more expensive.

Tom

Bassat
6,782 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 19, 2017 10:27 |  #18

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18358408 (external link)
Glad to hear that, we want you around on potn.

I was waiting (STOPPED!) in traffic. The semi-truck in front of me decided to back up ON A STATE HIGHWAY. I un-a$$ed the bike, pronto. Its insured. Go right ahead, run it over. (Not what I was thinking at the time.) He did.

Back to batteries.

Tom

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
May 19, 2017 10:31 |  #19

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18358407 (external link)
The savings of 4 LP-E6 Sterlingteks over the Canon equivalent buys you a factory grip, just to give an example.

Close but no cigar - Canon grip is $349 ;-)a

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
May 19, 2017 10:34 |  #20

Bassat wrote in post #18358410 (external link)
Do you put the most expensive battery you can find in your $20,000+ car, just because it is expensive? I've never seen any evidence anywhere that Canon batteries are better than Wasabi. Just more expensive.

I did have Wasabi batteries at one time. Very good, but the number of shots per charge was less than Canon.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
May 19, 2017 10:38 |  #21

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18358418 (external link)
Close but no cigar - Canon grip is $349 ;-)a

Yes, that is a shame too, Canon prices of grips are crazy, but there is nothing very elaborate with them, and are basically the same as years prior in their construction and function. The $260 savings will indeed buy a factory grip, just give it time, they will drop to $260ish over time.

However I wouldn't buy a factory grip either, the Vello one or others are 1/3 the price. In any case, I would have $260 to put toward any other purchase, being CF/SD cards, a 50 1.4 lens, whatever, by using 3rd party batteries.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
May 19, 2017 10:39 |  #22

We discussed it quite a few times on POTN. Canon (or Sterlingtech, or Watson) batteries are not made, or even designed, but these companies. There are just a handful of battery manufacturers, Panasonic is probably the biggest, who make and brand the batteries for the customers. One has the same probability of having a defective battery with any brand.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

Bassat
6,782 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 19, 2017 10:43 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #23

I had an Opteka grip for my 500D, and a Polaroid grip for my 60D. Both worked just fine. For my 70D and 6D, I tried a total of 5 or 6 3rd party grips. None worked well (lost contact in portrait orientation with 100-400L). Buying Canon grips for both solved the problem. I put Wasabi batteries in all of them.

Didn't need grips on my 1D-series bodies. I used Canon spare batteries in those. Couldn't find adequately rated 3rd party replacements.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
May 19, 2017 10:46 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #24

At one time Phottix made a Titan LP-E4 replacement that worked very well. :(

ManiZ
Joined Sep 2009
Mile High City
Post has been edited 7 months ago by ManiZ.
May 19, 2017 19:07 |  #25

Related question: Do STK batteries charge just as well in the Wasabi charger as in the STK one?

I ask because I have only ever used Wasabi batteries (7D, 5D3 and now 5D4) and have no complaints, but want to try STK batts just for the heck of it since I need more batteries now with the 5D4 (topic for another thread). Those of you who have charged them in both brands' chargers, please share your thoughts. I would rather not buy an STK charger if it's unnecessary. Since their capacities are the same (and I bet manufacturer too), I am hoping that's the case.

5D4 Gripped | 16-35 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 85 f1.8 | 600EX-RT | 430EXII | YN-468II | YN-622c | 'Stuff'

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,056 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
May 21, 2017 06:39 |  #26

ManiZ wrote in post #18358777 (external link)
Related question: Do STK batteries charge just as well in the Wasabi charger as in the STK one?

I ask because I have only ever used Wasabi batteries (7D, 5D3 and now 5D4) and have no complaints, but want to try STK batts just for the heck of it since I need more batteries now with the 5D4 (topic for another thread). Those of you who have charged them in both brands' chargers, please share your thoughts. I would rather not buy an STK charger if it's unnecessary. Since their capacities are the same (and I bet manufacturer too), I am hoping that's the case.

You can use the canon charger to charge the aftermarket batteries.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Peak Design Capture Clip, Slide Sling, Slide Lite Strap | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

Bill ­ Emmett
201 posts
Joined May 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
May 28, 2017 18:14 |  #27

I have a hard time understanding all this patter about batteries. I'm not only a professional photographer, but a retired electronics engineer. As these batteries work, it is electrons that flow from the negative pole on the battery, through the circuits in the camera to the positive pole of the battery. The force of the electrons is measured by volts, and the amount of electrons is measured by AMPs. That is what you read on the battery tag. On a Canon LP-E6n the output voltage is 7.2 volts, and 1865 mili amps per hour. The Canon LP-E6 battery puts out the same voltage, 7.2v, but a little amperage at 1800 mili amps. A B&M battery for Canon, BM LPE6 has a little higher output voltage of 7.4 volts but puts out a whopping 2600 mili amp/hr. Even though the amps/hr is greater than both Canon batteries, the camera will only use the amps or electrons to run the circuits in the camera, so no harm will be done. The difference in voltage will not be significant to cause a problem within the camera. As far as charging, the charger output would have to be in line with the voltage, and amperage of the installed battery, or if to high voltage, or amperage will cause a fire with Li batteries. All Li batteries should contain a chip that will limit the rate of charge, and amount of charge. I've not seen a Canon camera that detects the "off brand" batteries. So, the physics of Li batteries are the same, no matter which brand you install in your camera. The higher the mili amp value, the longer the charge will last. Keep in mind the runs on the circuit cards inside your camera can be compared to a hair, and a very thin one at that. Those of you who pay $29.00 for two wabasi batteries and get a car charger, you got a deal, those who pay $59.00 for real Canon battery, thanks for the donation.

B

New Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EOS 50D, Canon 7D Classic, Canon 6D, Canon EF 70-200 f4L USM with IS, Canon 40mm pancake, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 10-22mm wide angle, Canon EF-S 18-135 IS STM, Canon EF 100mm 2.8L USM Macro, Tamron 18-270mm Dii VC, Tamron SP 150-600mm VC, Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC USM, Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L II USM, Tamron 2X Tele-Extender, 1.4 Tele-extender

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
May 28, 2017 20:16 |  #28

Safety of Li-Ion batteries is a part of what I do for a living. Basically, you are correct, but there's are important details, and the devil is in the details. Not all Li-Ion batteries are the same. There are three distinct different chemistries to use in batteries (however, one is too unstable to use reliably). There are different protection circuitries using different chips to control the rate of charge and discharge, as well as fuel gauges. They may use different cells by different manufacturers, etc. if everything were the same, we would not see self exploding hoverboards.

That's why testing a battery for transportation testing costs tens of thousands of $$$, and small changes in them - cells, circuitry, or enclosures - requires re-testing by certification agencies and spending a lot of money.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

Bassat
6,782 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Bassat.
May 28, 2017 23:24 |  #29

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18358420 (external link)
I did have Wasabi batteries at one time. Very good, but the number of shots per charge was less than Canon.

OK. What does that mean? I bought two Wasabi LP-E6 clones when I got my 60D about 200 years ago. I rotate my batteries almost religiously. The Wasabi clones are still going strong. I've depleted two Canon LP-E6 batteries to well past 1 Red Square of recharge performance.

I'd rather get more shots per battery, than more shots per charge. I can carry a spare for when the charge runs low. For me, the Wasabi clones are far surpassing the Canon in shots per battery.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
May 29, 2017 07:44 |  #30

I had 2 Wasabi as well that didn't quite last as long too, and that was right out of the gate when I first got them. But again they are so cheap it was worth it.

sponsored links

6,689 views & 10 likes for this thread
3rd Party batteries and 5D4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.