Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk
Thread started 15 May 2017 (Monday) 17:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Any help for me to fix the capture time on photos?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
May 15, 2017 17:19 |  #1

I have a GPS tracklog I want to match to my photos to geotag them, and I also like to keep my photos' capture times accurate to the local time (so a morning shot is... always a morning shot).

I went to NZ and set it to NZ time, but I never changed it after then when I went to Australia.

I started in Adelaide traveling along the coast up to Cairns.

As I result, I think I changed at least one 30m timezone, plus a day where daylight savings kicked in.

Without going crazy, any ideas/tips how I could break my photos up properly to solve this? In the future definitely going to take photos of accurate clocks to make this easier!

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
mikepj
196 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Central Michigan
May 18, 2017 12:29 |  #2

Have you checked to see if this is really a problem?

The GPS tracklog will record using UTC time, so that can be converted to any time zone. Your camera should be set to a given time and time zone. So even though you were in Australia, the time in the camera was still set correctly for NZ and presumably had its time zone set to NZ. Even with the daylight savings change, software like Lightroom should be able to match up the photos without any problems (by just matching with a UTC/NZ conversion).

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use the GPS in your 5D4 in the future. Assuming you don't want to do that, you could set your camera clock to UTC time and never have to worry about changing it for daylight savings again. However, if you do that, then when you try looking at when photos were taken later on, the photo timestamp would be in UTC you'd have to mentally convert that to your local time.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark II, 7D Mark II, 16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM
EOS M, EF-M 22 ƒ2 STM

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
May 18, 2017 15:43 |  #3

mikepj wrote in post #18357737 (external link)
Have you checked to see if this is really a problem?

The GPS tracklog will record using UTC time, so that can be converted to any time zone. Your camera should be set to a given time and time zone. So even though you were in Australia, the time in the camera was still set correctly for NZ and presumably had its time zone set to NZ. Even with the daylight savings change, software like Lightroom should be able to match up the photos without any problems (by just matching with a UTC/NZ conversion).

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use the GPS in your 5D4 in the future. Assuming you don't want to do that, you could set your camera clock to UTC time and never have to worry about changing it for daylight savings again. However, if you do that, then when you try looking at when photos were taken later on, the photo timestamp would be in UTC you'd have to mentally convert that to your local time.

Yeah - I think from a geotagging standpoint I should be able to correctly tag them all, especially since the camera stayed consistently in "NZ time". However, I'd also love to take that a step further and have "correct local time" for all my photos, so that especially my sunrises and sunsets are at the appropriate times, not showing up as taken at 1pm...

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
May 18, 2017 15:51 |  #4

I was sitting here running a second large batch process on photos when I saw your post. I thought, "hmm I bet there is a batch process utility that does this." Sure enough Google seems to say there are quite a few options.

https://petapixel.com ...era-for-daylight-savings/ (external link)

That old article is the first hit, command line utilities look like the simple and effective method.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
May 18, 2017 15:57 |  #5

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18357889 (external link)
I was sitting here running a second large batch process on photos when I saw your post. I thought, "hmm I bet there is a batch process utility that does this." Sure enough Google seems to say there are quite a few options.

https://petapixel.com ...era-for-daylight-savings/ (external link)

That old article is the first hit, command line utilities look like the simple and effective method.

My issue isn't so much about HOW to change the time, but "how" to change the times, I guess... haha

Problem is, off the top of my head I passed through 3 timezones, daylight savings kicked in, and at least 1 region that doesn't observe DST... so it's about finding all the appropriate batches of photos and doing it that way. I wish there was a way that matched the GPS (now that they'd be tagged...) and the EXIF date, and a given timezone it was in, and dynamically correct the time..

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
May 18, 2017 16:44 |  #6

Oh, gotcha. That would definitely be nice.

Hate to say it, but you are probably going to spend more time trying to save time than it would take just to go out the files in groupings and run an individual process on each group.

Group A: minus one hour

Group B: minus two hours

... etc

I definitely feel your pain. I've been moving around an enormous number of files lately and look for every possible way to save time.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

mikepj
196 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Central Michigan
May 18, 2017 23:28 |  #7

Again, in the future you can setup the built-in GPS on the 5D4 to adjust the time/timezone on your camera automatically.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark II, 7D Mark II, 16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM
EOS M, EF-M 22 ƒ2 STM

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
May 19, 2017 10:00 |  #8

mikepj wrote in post #18358152 (external link)
Again, in the future you can setup the built-in GPS on the 5D4 to adjust the time/timezone on your camera automatically.

I already noticed the battery drain faster on my 5D4 vs my 5D3. Killing it faster while traveling by having GPS on isn't my ideal situation...

Maybe I'll warm up to the idea...

mikepj
196 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Central Michigan
May 19, 2017 13:38 |  #9

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18358389 (external link)
I already noticed the battery drain faster on my 5D4 vs my 5D3. Killing it faster while traveling by having GPS on isn't my ideal situation...

Maybe I'll warm up to the idea...

Yes, I understand, my 7D2 has the same issue and I keep the GPS off most of the time because of that. While on a recent trip where I wanted to use the GPS though, I got into the habit of just taking the battery out of the camera and charging it every night. That way, I never had to guess about battery life. A battery always lasted at least a day, and often would only discharge by 1/3rd or so.

It was worth it to save the extra hassle of carrying a separate GPS tracker (or burning through a cell phone battery)—at least for me.

EOS M, EF-M 22 ƒ2 STM

Wilbur ­ Su
34 posts
Joined Oct 2014
May 19, 2017 21:00 |  #10

Try using the ExifTool?

http://www.sno.phy.que​ensu.ca/~phil/exiftool​/ (external link)

Wilbur

sponsored links

2,791 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any help for me to fix the capture time on photos?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.