Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 04 Jan 2017 (Wednesday) 17:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Am I planning to visit New Zealand at the wrong time?

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jan 22, 2017 17:33 |  #16

Wilt wrote in post #18252628 (external link)
There certainly were autumn colors on NZ South Island in April.

The plans I ended up going with have me leaving NZ late March!

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Jan 31, 2017 05:11 |  #17

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18252697 (external link)

I think you have picked a good time. I lived in the Sourth Island NZ for a year and have revisited as a tourist. The NZ Autumn (March April) is a quiet time and the colours of introduces species such as poplar and willow should be good see Autumn in New Zealand (external link). You may find this useful too: 5 Best places to visit for autumn colors. (external link)

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jan 31, 2017 07:19 |  #18

Stiga wrote in post #18260331 (external link)
I think you have picked a good time. I lived in the Sourth Island NZ for a year and have revisited as a tourist. The NZ Autumn (March April) is a quiet time and the colours of introduces species such as poplar and willow should be good see Autumn in New Zealand (external link). You may find this useful too: 5 Best places to visit for autumn colors. (external link)

I will be needing NZ March 24. My understanding was that by that time, it's still too early for autumn colours?

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Jan 31, 2017 11:53 |  #19

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18260412 (external link)
I will be needing NZ March 24. My understanding was that by that time, it's still too early for autumn colours?

You may be lucky, it depends on the season. Some of the gorges and sheltered locations get early frost which triggers the onset of leaf colour changes.

Have a great trip and then post your masterpieces here :-)

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

wayne_eddy
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2006
Perth, 'straya
Feb 20, 2017 08:35 |  #20

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18260412 (external link)

I'm heading to NZ in late feb and staying to mid march.

Recommendation #1: consult the locals. Contact some local NZ Clubs, photo forums etc about when and where might be the best time to capture what you are after. In every country, fall colours appear in different regions and altitudes at diff times. Time of year can be irrelevant.

I've never been to NZ before, but will go again soon. It's so close to home I can't believe I haven't been before.

If I were you, having booked the trip already, I wouldn't be too worried about missing the fall colours and would be concentrating on what will be available: Locations, tide, weather, sunset, sunrise and moonset, moonrise. Those are the things that will help to ensure you have a successful photographic expedition.

Also research and get some practice in on how to shoot effectively with only a couple of the lenses and filters you have.

wayne eddy
[I'm calibrated - are you?]
Gear List

RobDickinson
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
May 03, 2017 21:09 |  #21

Autumn colours usually mid/end of april these days.

March isnt terrible but you are unlikely to get much snow or flowers or autumn stuff etc.

its good for MW pics too

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
May 03, 2017 21:51 |  #22

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18252697 (external link)

So, Kaitlyn - how was it?

I'd love to see some of the images from your NZ trip.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Joined Oct 2009
May 16, 2017 09:10 |  #23

RobDickinson wrote in post #18345679 (external link)
its good for MW pics too

What's MW?

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by kaitlyn2004. 3 edits done in total.
May 16, 2017 09:12 |  #24

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18345703 (external link)
So, Kaitlyn - how was it?

I'd love to see some of the images from your NZ trip.

New Zealand was FANTASTIC! I've started posting some of the photos to my Instagram (in my opinion, some of the photos I still need to post I love far more! :) )
https://www.instagram.​com/kmexplores/ (external link)

I also put together a video of my trip, mostly drone footage:

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
May 16, 2017 12:59 as a reply to kaitlyn2004's post |  #25

What a fun video!

And what a great trip it must have been. You are quite the adventurer!

Did you happen to see any herds of Red Deer? Specifically, did you see any in areas that seemed like they might provide dramatic wildlife images if photographed at the time of the year when they are in the rut? I mean like beautiful mountain backdrops and that sort of thing.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Joined Oct 2009
May 16, 2017 14:42 |  #26

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18356188 (external link)
What a fun video!

And what a great trip it must have been. You are quite the adventurer!

Did you happen to see any herds of Red Deer? Specifically, did you see any in areas that seemed like they might provide dramatic wildlife images if photographed at the time of the year when they are in the rut? I mean like beautiful mountain backdrops and that sort of thing.

I'm... I'm not sure I saw a single deer? haha, plenty of sheep though!

Chris ­ L ­ F
204 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Warwick, England
May 16, 2017 16:50 |  #27

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18356030 (external link)
New Zealand was FANTASTIC! I've started posting some of the photos to my Instagram (in my opinion, some of the photos I still need to post I love far more! :) )
https://www.instagram.​com/kmexplores/ (external link)

I also put together a video of my trip, mostly drone footage:

We've not long returned from NZ either and like you thought it was fantastic.

I've posted a few images on different threads but still have loads to go through!

One of the highlights was going to a nieces wedding at Wanaka - the service was outside, on a glorious day, with the mountains as a backdrop. Breathtaking!

Chris

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/hinkleigh/ (external link)
EOS 650D + 3 lenses + Speedlite 600EX-RT G1X Mark II G16 SX210 IS Pixma Pro-100S

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Joined Oct 2009
May 16, 2017 22:36 |  #28

Chris L F wrote in post #18356312 (external link)
We've not long returned from NZ either and like you thought it was fantastic.

I've posted a few images on different threads but still have loads to go through!

One of the highlights was going to a nieces wedding at Wanaka - the service was outside, on a glorious day, with the mountains as a backdrop. Breathtaking!

Chris

I wish I spent more time in Wanaka. I think I would have really liked it... sort of reminds me of Queenstown but not AS touristy. At least that was my sense!

RobDickinson
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
May 22, 2017 21:45 |  #29

Yeah Wanaka is much more chilled. QT is a zoo, sadly all year round.

Might one day move to Wanaka or perhaps lake hawea.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

sponsored links

3,721 views & 6 likes for this thread
Am I planning to visit New Zealand at the wrong time?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.