Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 26 Feb 2005 (Saturday) 06:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: POTN G-Series Speed Challenge Rules -- Master List

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Seattle area, WA, USA
Jul 03, 2012 12:22 |  #136

Sounds good to me. Will edit size rule as per teekay's verbiage.

sponsored links
Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,640 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jul 09, 2012 13:05 |  #137

I am happy to see the size changes and the variation from 800-1024 pixels.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

gewb
Joined Feb 2005
Denver, Colorado USA
Feb 11, 2013 15:21 as a reply to Raven's post |  #138

I HAVE DELETED THIS POST as teekay explained it better than the stated rule.

Thanks teekay!

Regards,
GEWB

60D / Pro1 / A85

teekay
Goldmember
2,592 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Feb 12, 2013 10:33 as a reply to gewb's post |  #139

Maybe I'm a bit slow this morning I don't follow your reasoning , gewb.

Seems to me that the current size rule is ultra simple and I can't see where image ratio is affected. If the max side is 800 to 1024 (inclusive) it doesn't matter what the min side is - there's no rule about that.

So I suggest we not mess with it further as it's not long since we reached the current consensus after a good discussion.

gewb
Joined Feb 2005
Denver, Colorado USA
Feb 12, 2013 10:49 |  #140

Good Morning teekay -

EDIT MY REPLY -

I get it now - it was a bit confusing to read the rule as I saw it as a min x max not a max range of 800 to 1024.

I'll go back and post as such.

Regards,
GEWB

60D / Pro1 / A85

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by rpolitsr. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 22, 2014 21:37 |  #141

This is the old thread for discussing the rules for possible changes.
Be aware that the posts older than this one belong to previous discussions

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Dec 22, 2014 21:44 |  #142

Monday 22 December 2014
feel free to comment about the rules in your own posts below this one :)

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,174 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jan 12, 2015 01:21 |  #143

rpolitsr wrote in post #17346895external link
feel free to comment about the rules in your own posts below this one :)

Now that the metadata feature is available, if entries have the camera model in the metadata line, shall adding the model name separately be required?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Jan 12, 2015 09:51 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #144

The metadata is a nice addition to AMASS! that is slowly propagating as a new feature.
I would say, until we are sure that people understand and use the 'camera' box in the metadata, writing the camera model as before does not hurt, and will help members that do not use the metadata thingy yet.

Additionally, with the relatively small format of the entries, most of the images hosted externally have the exif stripped by the user or by the host server; same thing for the images attached (hosted in POTN server) because participants have been used to use PhotoShop 'save for web' or the equivalent in other programs to keep the file small stripping the exif info (150KB was the limit for years), so filling the camera in metadata will remain for some time as a manual option.

Anyhow, having options to change the rules while the software changes is a good thing. Members consensus before the change is important.

As always, let me say that this is my opinion as an enthusiastic follower of the challenges, the 'moderator' title adds weight to these writings only when a general POTN rule is compromised, which is not the case now. :)

As JimAskew wrote in a recent challenge, rising the number of weekly participants above the bare minimum (1 to 4) must be our main concern for now.

rafael

teekay
Goldmember
2,592 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited 6 months ago by teekay.
May 22, 2017 18:08 |  #145

Rule change suggestion.

With the increased capability of cameras and monitors since these G-series challenges started, the "size rule" was changed several times to permit larger images, and now it's maybe time to increase yet again. I suggest going up to the POTN max of 1280 pixels.

Rule 3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1280 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

Thoughts?

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
May 22, 2017 20:20 |  #146

May 22, 2017

As you know, this is an old thread for discussing the rules for possible changes.
Be aware that the posts older than May 22, 2017 belong to previous discussions
--- ---
The active discussion starts today, May 22, 2017 with the post by teekay quoted below

teekay wrote in post #18360718 (external link)
Rule change suggestion.

With the increased capability of cameras and monitors since these G-series challenges started, the "size rule" was changed several times to permit larger images, and now it's maybe time to increase yet again. I suggest going up to the POTN max of 1280 pixels.

Rule 3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1280 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

feel free to comment about the rule in your own posts below this one :)

Thoughts?

rafael

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
May 22, 2017 20:43 |  #147

Some participants of the challenges have already posted opinions about the rule change in the challenge #638 thread. See the quotes of those posts below:

JimAskew wrote in post #18360744 (external link)
I support this rule change. The G5X is 20.1MP :-)

corythosaurus wrote in post #18360761 (external link)
I support the rule change as well!

M_Six wrote in post #18360808 (external link)
The rule change is ok with me.

rafael

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,174 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
May 22, 2017 21:22 as a reply to rpolitsr's post |  #148

I don't object to the change even though my G15 is only 12 mp.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Post has been edited 6 months ago by rpolitsr.
May 23, 2017 02:21 |  #149

I agree with the updated rule #3.

--- ---

For landscape-like images (1280px in the horizontal side), AMASS will resize the image to fit the frame even in small monitors, as usual.
You will see the full size image clicking in the glasses.

For portrait-like images (1280px in the vertical side) POTN users with small monitors may need to use a bit more of vertical scroll to see the whole image.

Below you can see the image (606px X 1280px) to illustrate what I say.

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/test1280pxvert_IMG_9721_lr.jpg

rafael

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,640 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
May 23, 2017 09:48 |  #150

Yes! Time to evolve with the forum. I like the 1280 size.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

sponsored links

97,202 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge Rules -- Master List
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.