Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 18 May 2017 (Thursday) 20:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which lighting system?

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,308 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by bobbyz. 2 edits done in total.
May 20, 2017 08:09 |  #16

Another ABs to Flashpoint user. But big unknown right now is long term support. I don't think any of us have used Godox support. Unless you buy from Adorama, I don't think there is any. Maybe Cheetahstand has some. Now folks bitx about ABs but I never had issues. And getting things repaired was easy. I got Elinchroms at work and cost to repair is not worth it. Have both Elinchrom BRXi500 as dLites that don't work, mount doesn't lock and so on. Flashtube was like $100. Actually bowen mount on Godox is not that great either. Most speedring designs for it put flash tube recessed and mounting/unmounting is not rock solid. Original Bowen might be better but no experience here.

Buy based on your budget and how you going to use it.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
sincity
Joined Nov 2014
May 23, 2017 18:51 |  #17

Considering I re-started my lighting from scratch last year ; here is my view of it all. I shoot studio strobes in the studio and in the field. I got rid of my PCB lighting systems from the X3200, X1600, AB800 and every PCB box/modifier I have. Why?? Inconsistency on colors. Power levels with a slider can be fickle and that blur on action shots So I got two Elinchrom RX1200, an Elinchrom BRX 500, and the 500 Eli is really fast on the duration, since I shot Roller Derby Girls.

The move to Elinchrom allowed me to get a bigger selection of modifiers from deep octas to unusual ones like fresnels and spots. The Eli system does have some issues like they haven't updated the control from the computer which allowed me to control the flash using the wifi. So I can't use the laptop to change settings. Another thing I don't like is the old sky port construction..really weak and easy to break. But I haven't tried the new sky ports though..

I have also added Speedotron Black Lines for events like teaching photography since it is easy to teach lighting ratios on a Speedotron with a triple cap bank. Also the Speedotron are nuke proof in that you can't burn them out ; they will flash for thousands of pops and still ask for more. I use the Speedotron 800 watt for sports since it can overpower the sun and it doesn't weight me down with a lot of weight. I also use the 2400 w/s pack for my UV photography. The UV pass filter eats a lot of power to get a good UV flash. And the 2400w/s packs can serve at a weight bag.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,308 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by bobbyz.
May 23, 2017 19:27 |  #18

Einsteins are pretty color consistent and one can use Elinchrom or any other mfg's modifier with any strobe brand. Just need to use the correct speedrings IMHO.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
May 23, 2017 21:16 as a reply to sincity's post |  #19

The new skyport HS with the LCD display is really good. Also will give you HS out of your strobes. Should run all the way to 1/8000 depending on the camera/strobe used

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

tdlavigne
295 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
May 24, 2017 04:16 |  #20

For what I do, I'd still stick with my current setup (Speedotron) but for location I think the Profoto B600 was easier to use than the Elinchrom Ranger I have now, so I'd probably lean towards that for DC pack/head system. If money is no object I'd probably go for Profoto or maybe Broncolor just for the specialized modifiers.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,928 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
May 24, 2017 07:13 |  #21

Complete portability is the result once I complete my kit to this list:

2 x AD200 (builtin wireless control, HSS, power of at least 2 Canon flashes each, self contained battery) - R2 wireless

2 x AD360 (XTR16 R2 receiver controlled, HSS, manual strobes, small battery packs, power of 3-4 flashes each, long life)

X1C - remote control of all R2 wifi units

2 x 685 Godox R2 flashes - just like the Canon 600, uses AA batteries (want this over the lithium rechargeable), and has built in wireless, and also act as a controller instead of the X1C

This means that I can control the entire system if I use a 685 flash, or if both are remote, I can control everything with X1C. I have purchased backup bulbs for the AD360s so I have spares. The only support at this point that I feel is needed is better firmware in these devices to work through some issues.

I am missing the first item, but $900 was needed to get everything else on the list. I sold my 2 580EXII for $400, so this nets out at $500, plus $560 more to get the 2 AD200s.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

rburgett
52 posts
Joined Aug 2011
May 24, 2017 09:14 |  #22

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18361787 (external link)
2 x 685 Godox R2 flashes - just like the Canon 600, uses AA batteries (want this over the lithium rechargeable), at $500, plus $560

I'm curious as to why you want the AA batteries instead of the lithium.
It seems like most people want the longer life and less hassle with numbers of rechargeable batteries.
Would like to hear your take on it.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,928 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
May 24, 2017 09:35 as a reply to rburgett's post |  #23

I have a small investment in Eneloop AA batteries, and they are cheaper than replacing the LiIon battery that comes with that flash. As was mentioned, perhaps support for this system dwindles over time, and you cannot get your hands on those proprietary batteries either in a couple of years. I will always have AA batteries though. :)

Usually I shoot only 1-2 hours at a time with the flashes and I don't need longer life either, the AA batteries do fine. I have alot more AA batteries now too, since I am getting rid of the YongNuo 622 units. I have like 10+ batteries freed up now. :D

Oh, finally, I have the ability to plug in the AD360 battery packs into the flashes should I need long life in the future. You can't do that with the lithium ion battery equivalent flash.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Having too much fun in the studio
May 24, 2017 14:09 |  #24

tdlavigne wrote in post #18361710 (external link)
For what I do, I'd still stick with my current setup (Speedotron) but for location I think the Profoto B600 was easier to use than the Elinchrom Ranger I have now, so I'd probably lean towards that for DC pack/head system. If money is no object I'd probably go for Profoto or maybe Broncolor just for the specialized modifiers.

Same here re: the speedotrons. They do everything that I need and have been rock solid over a long period of time. Wish they were lighter for the times we transport them though.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

sincity
Joined Nov 2014
May 24, 2017 16:37 as a reply to bobbyz's post |  #25

@Bobbyyz comment.. I don't think changing the speedring will result in getting the light right..

see this 69" rotalux on a Einstein.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4615701087_5a3d97eb02_o.jpg

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,308 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
May 24, 2017 17:25 |  #26

What about using this?

http://www.kaceyenterp​rises.com/?page_id=102​3 (external link)

RicoTudor
472 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Chicago, IL
Post has been edited 5 months ago by RicoTudor.
May 24, 2017 18:24 |  #27

I've been building an array of artificial light for the last 15 years. If the Sun were blotted out tomorrow, I probably wouldn't notice. :) Started with Canon Speedlite on a stick, then moved to Profoto Acute. Have be edging along their Pro line with three specialty fixtures and a D4, but their Pro packs and heads are pretty hard to justify economically. I also use Nikon Speedlights in the studio, including their radio system. If money fell from trees, I would definitely add a Briese pack/head and a couple of their parabolics (those look unmatchable). The more-likely second studio system for me is Hensel: moderately priced, several packs offered, a wide selection of specialty fixtures. Am not sure about their support in the US.

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Whitby, ON
May 24, 2017 20:56 |  #28

Another vote for the Godox system. I use my lights all day every day and they hold up well. Portable, wireless, and integrated.

If colour is really important to you (think product photography) consider Einsteins or something WAY more expensive.

Also, the focus assist beam sucks balls with Godox. My fingers are crossed the this will be addressed in the future.

I've got an AD600, 2 AD200's, and a fleet of 850 lithium speedlights.

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

OceanRipple*
742 posts
Joined Dec 2014
May 25, 2017 06:12 |  #29

We're lucky to have several viable options for mixing Speedlites with Strobes all with remote M adjustment, TTL and HSS etc.

The Godox (& clones) family based on X1 & XT 32 triggers is obviously popular. I like my Jinbei (aka Orlit) kit, mixing an HD610 with my 580ExIIs on Jinbei receivers. I even have AF assist covered - my ST-E2 on top of my 611 transceiver! I knew there was a reason not to throw that d**n thing away. It works just fine.

riffster
Joined Apr 2009
Ohio
May 25, 2017 16:02 |  #30

When I started, I went directly into flash heads and modifiers. To this day I still don't have any speed lights just a lone Vivitar HV285 that I used a handful of times.

If I were to start all over again I definitely would not have bought the Interfit kit that I did. Right from the getgo I would go all Alien Bees stuff which is what I use now. No complaints here with AB. It works and holds up pretty well for my semi rigorous uses.

5DII | 7D | C100mkII | Tokina 16-28 2.8 I Canon 24-70L | Canon 70-200L 2.8 | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 30 1.4 www.riffster.com (external link) www.facebook.com/riffs​terproductions (external link)

sponsored links

4,139 views & 22 likes for this thread
Which lighting system?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.