Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 04:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos

lijoec
Joined Jan 2009
Long Island
May 26, 2017 08:46 |  #1021

Michael456, I don't have a 80D so I can't help much. But it would help if you posted what settings you did use and a sample photo.

Cheers,
Joe

sponsored links
shane_c
618 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Halifax, NS, Canada
May 26, 2017 10:11 as a reply to post 18363267 |  #1022

I think it's too slow. Try at least 1/2000.

Canon 80D - Sigma 17-50 (2.8), Canon 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 400L (5.6), Canon 1.4x II
My Instagram (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
May 26, 2017 10:26 |  #1023

Michael456 wrote in post #18362856 (external link)
Tried some BIF today. Can anybody give me some advice for AF settings? My keeper rate left a lot to be desired (= was way lower than I expected) although my shutter speed was high and I've turned IS off.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Michael456 in
./showthread.php?p=183​62856&i=i227026567
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

./showthread.php?p=183​62856&i=i248129098

Your settings are right around what I use for general shooting on the 80D w/ 100-400 + 1.4x. If you have the light, try bumping shutter speed up more... in fact, in your shots, I see you used f/10. I'd consider opening up to f/8 and bumping shutter speed for BIF.

In exchange, could you share with us how you achieve such stunning macro photos? :-)

~~~~~

My contribution today: a rain-soaked Sharp Shinned Hawk, and a Yellow Billed Cuckoo.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickrexternal link

RodS57
Joined Jun 2014
May 26, 2017 10:34 |  #1024

Michael456 wrote in post #18362856 (external link)
Tried some BIF today. Can anybody give me some advice for AF settings? My keeper rate left a lot to be desired (= was way lower than I expected) although my shutter speed was high and I've turned IS off.

./showthread.php?p=183​62856&i=i227026567

./showthread.php?p=183​62856&i=i248129098

First let me say i'd be happy with these shots.
With that out of the way I think the shutter speed is a little low for that focal length. At only ISO 400 you have a lot of room to increase SS.

Based on my own attempts at BIF I've come to the conclusion that panning technique is 90% of the game. Even with all my blown shots I find BIF to be addictive. Keep working at it and enjoy.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Michael456
241 posts
Joined Apr 2016
May 26, 2017 10:38 |  #1025

Thanks for the advice everyone.

lijoec wrote in post #18363396 (external link)
Michael456, I don't have a 80D so I can't help much. But it would help if you posted what settings you did use and a sample photo.

AF settings I used were:

• All AF points
  • AI Servo
  • Tracking Sensitivity: -1
  • Accel./Decel. Tracking:: +1
  • AF Point Auto Switching: +1
  • 1st Image Priority: Focus Priority
  • 2nd Image Priority: Focus Priority

Shutter speeds were 1/1250 & 1/1600 (raised the speed after I saw that lots of photos were just not sharp enough) and IS was off.

This might not be a good example photo but unfortunately I deleted most of them right away :oops:

From DPP showing active AF points:
HOSTED PHOTO

100% crop:
HOSTED PHOTO

Michael456
241 posts
Joined Apr 2016
May 26, 2017 10:47 |  #1026

MatthewK wrote in post #18363451 (external link)
In exchange, could you share with us how you achieve such stunning macro photos? :-)

Macros are so easy compared to BIF ;-)a
On shot, single AF point. F8 - F11 for depth of field and a flash for anything that moves (I mostly use a Speedlite 430 with a mini softbox on a flexible arm. Recently bought the Yongnuo twin flash but need to come up with something to diffuse it better).

Two more from yesterday:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
May 26, 2017 11:07 as a reply to Michael456's post |  #1027

These are brilliant! Nice detail but not over-processed. And shooting bees is tough because they are always moving, but it seems like the flash aids in stopping some of their jittery behavior.

Admiteddly, I don't use the 80D for macro as much, but seeing as how I'm using the 80D for a majority of photos these days, I might make the switch. The extra "reach" will be useful.

What flexible arm do you use?

When I shoot macro + flash, I try using the ST-E3-RT and the 430EX-RT to get the light off-camera, but it's very cumbersome. My diffuser is a homemade device that diffuses w/ two coffee filters :lol:

flickrexternal link

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
May 26, 2017 11:32 as a reply to Michael456's post |  #1028

For BIF, I'd definitely employ the recommendation of 1/2000 or better SS. For stationary stuff (sitting birds, for instance), my starting SS is 1/1250. The higher pixel density and telephoto distance require a good amount of stability to overcome.

Also, try using IS Mode 3 for BIF.

Lastly, the shot may be a tiny bit back focused, so you could try dialing in a few points of MFA (I'd do 3 points closer to the camera, see how that affects sharpness). I was disappointed with my 80D and 100-400 w/ 1.4 for the same reasons you are experiencing now; I couldn't get anything sharp or in focus. Once I upped the shutter speeds and dialed in MFA, the combo became brilliant. If your other shots w/ the lens at 560mm are OK, disregard.

flickrexternal link

Michael456
241 posts
Joined Apr 2016
May 26, 2017 15:20 |  #1029

MatthewK wrote in post #18363482 (external link)
These are brilliant! Nice detail but not over-processed. And shooting bees is tough because they are always moving, but it seems like the flash aids in stopping some of their jittery behavior.

Admiteddly, I don't use the 80D for macro as much, but seeing as how I'm using the 80D for a majority of photos these days, I might make the switch. The extra "reach" will be useful.

What flexible arm do you use?

When I shoot macro + flash, I try using the ST-E3-RT and the 430EX-RT to get the light off-camera, but it's very cumbersome. My diffuser is a homemade device that diffuses w/ two coffee filters :lol:

Thanks. Yeah, the flash helps a lot to stop the motion. Without the flash I'd have to increase shutter speed quite a bit.
I use the Novoflex MARM (https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...M_Flex_Arm_with_Bal​l.html (external link)). I initially used the shorter model but got the longer one when I bought the MP-E. I use a flash cord as I don't have an RT flash and using the internal flash as master eats the camera's battery.
Coffee filters sound interesting. Might treat the Yongnuo flash to a couple - I'm experimenting with different materials at the moment :-)

Thanks for the BIF advice. I'll try higher shutter speeds and IS mode 3 next time. Will play with MFA, too, if that doesn't improve my keeper rate - although I've been getting good results with the 100-400 + 1.4 for stationary subjects.

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
May 26, 2017 16:39 |  #1030

Ill be practicing BIF tomorrow. As well as other various photis at the local state park. Surely out of a few hundred shots, ill throw 99% away before even looking at them in LR.

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
May 26, 2017 19:21 |  #1031

Pseudo-macro with the 100-400 II:

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4197/34914680955_0142fd2501_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/VchS​eR] (external link)Pale Collared Wasp - Eumenes fraternus (external link) by M K (external link), on Flickr

flickrexternal link

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
May 27, 2017 02:56 |  #1032

Shot at 600mm hand held, although being farther back would have given me better framing.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4252/34519710300_1a9cd73c69_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/UAox​dY] (external link)P-51 and P-38 (external link) by bigbend700 (external link), on Flickr

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Michael456
241 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by Michael456. 2 edits done in total.
May 27, 2017 05:45 |  #1033

Another sage blossom from the day before yesterday. While gray is not exactly my favorite color, I kinda like it as a background here (the color is from the street beside which the sage is growing):

HOSTED PHOTO

The thyme in the backyard is blossoming at the moment. So when I went outside this morning there were, of course, bees :-D:

HOSTED PHOTO

Michael456
241 posts
Joined Apr 2016
May 27, 2017 05:47 |  #1034

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Michael456
241 posts
Joined Apr 2016
May 27, 2017 12:12 |  #1035

Went back to the thyme a couple of hours later - this time armed with the MP-E:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

496,983 views & 5107 likes for this thread
-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.