Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk
Thread started 02 Dec 2016 (Friday) 09:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Real estate photography edit

krisammad
37 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Dec 02, 2016 09:27 |  #1

Is there a specific lens that does the hdr type effect or is it all photoshoped work? Seems to be quite popular in today's market. I will try to find a photo of what look im going for.

sponsored links
gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,373 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Dec 02, 2016 09:32 |  #2

HDR is a post processing activity. There is no way optically to compress dynamic range into one image. It requires separate images exposed for different areas which are then combined.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

krisammad
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by krisammad. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 02, 2016 09:44 |  #3

This is the look im going for. Any specfic light room edits or presets? Or would using a video light work best?

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://caliramedia.com ...2/Peninsula-calira-16.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

BobDawg
261 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Minnesota, Eh!
Dec 02, 2016 12:41 |  #4

Like gjl711 said, it's a post processing activity, but you need to have the correct pictures taken prior to doing so. Since you're new to the forum, what is your knowledge of HDR, do you understand all the steps it takes?

Canon 60D, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50mm, YN-560 IV Flash (2)

krisammad
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Dec 02, 2016 12:49 as a reply to BobDawg's post |  #5

Yes I have fiddled around just wasnt sure if there are any specific presets to be used in lightroom for quicker post processing.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,373 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Dec 02, 2016 13:01 |  #6

It's more important to capture the base frames correctly. Expose for the darkest sections, the brightest sections, and maybe a few in between. It helps if you set WB manually unless your shooting raw and shoot tripod mounted to make frame alignment easier. I haven't used LR to do the merge but I know it has the merge hdr function.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

BobDawg
261 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Minnesota, Eh!
Dec 02, 2016 13:21 |  #7

You can create presets based on your shooting and what you want the outcome to be, but since each house is different based on color/lighting/etc... there is no one 'easy mode' button. I created one that does all the general stuff, but then I go in and do the final tweaks.

Canon 60D, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50mm, YN-560 IV Flash (2)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,289 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Dec 02, 2016 13:27 |  #8

One CAN set a baseline exposure to

1. capture the room light illumination suitably,
  2. gel the windows with ND gel to drop that exposure to suit, and
  3. reduce high contrast shows left by the room lights with suitably adjusted electronic flash

...none of it requiring photoshop, Architectural interior photographers did it with film, even the more challenging lattitude of color transparency. So you do NOT 'have to' Photoshop.

HDR techniques change the methodology, ridding the need for Step 2 above. In the days of film, the photographer might need to plan his shoot in that room to occur at a certain time of day, shooting elsewhere in the meanwhile.
Today, the best combination might be to employ both traditional methods supplemented by modern digital techniques, to accomplish an even better result than only-analog or only-digital.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

aparis99
Joined Nov 2006
KY
Mar 13, 2017 09:49 |  #9

The image you posted is "popular" only b/c it's a quick shoot and batch process in Photomatix. To be honest, though subjective, that's not considered "professional" architectural photography. It gives you exaggerated colors and looks very hazy and fake. If you want to work toward a quality image, take note of architectural magazines and learn to introduce some light if you can. If you're absolutely against adding in some flash, then look into more exposure fusion to give a more realistic look.

I was asked to re-shoot a property in my area due to some bad photos, here's the other "professional", next to mine. You can see how bad the colors were etc...
Mine are still "HDR" and for commercial shoots, that's where I introduce my own extra light, but hopefully a little cleaner/crisp look.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

My Site - www.apimagery.com (external link)
Canon 5DmkIII, Canon 7D, Canon 16-35f4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 ISL II, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Sigma Art 35 f1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 100-400L II, 2x Extender III, 580exII, Think Tank Retro 30 and 40

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Mar 17, 2017 00:55 |  #10

Everyone does it a little differently. I use 2 ambient frames to get a base exposure and I build on it with flashed frames.

CC welcome.

calypsob
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
May 27, 2017 14:07 |  #11

The biggest difference I see int eh above exposures is correct white balance vs a very warm white balance. This is arises when you have different light temps.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

sponsored links

1,825 views & 0 likes for this thread
Real estate photography edit
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.