Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 22 May 2017 (Monday) 08:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photographing Groups

mdaddyrabbit
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
North Carolina
May 22, 2017 08:23 |  #1

I have a question on how to photograph groups. My daughter takes dance classes and my cousin plays sports. They get pictures done every year. The photographer may photograph 40 groups back to back in a day long even. I am wondering how he or she keeps up with what package each child gets and then matches the package with the right child and right images. This seems like it would be hard. When they get home the camera card full of images matches nothing.

Websiteexternal link

CANON

sponsored links
yellowt2
185 posts
Joined Sep 2009
May 22, 2017 10:28 |  #2

One way is to use the camera to take a picture of something identifying (registration form, etc.) between each group.
That way there is a marker on the memory card between groups of photos that has some info about who is in the next group of pictures

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
Joined Dec 2013
Detroit, MI
May 22, 2017 11:54 as a reply to yellowt2's post |  #3

Either you take the images as yellowt2 mentioned, or you note on the order forms the frame numbers/image names.

We did little league team photos last month, and that's how it was done- assistant is holding the order forms, and after each individual had their picture taken, there is a spot on the order form, and they simply write in the start/end image number, and the same for the team photos.

Support the forums - donate here

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Chicago, Illinois
May 22, 2017 12:23 |  #4

Ive church group photos for directories with families and individuals. Frankly, I found it easier to do like they to when making a movie before they yell ACTION!

I had a cheap small board that I can write on and erase using a marker with the family or individual name as the first shot held up in front of them as a type of ID or Registration shot. This works better to me than just taking a shot of something to identify them because it doesnt require that shot to stay in order. If you take a shot of just a form or something, you have to depend on your ID shot staying in the right order with the shots that follows. Of course you can check the image numbers, but thats an added step.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
May 22, 2017 13:00 |  #5

It is a matter of having help and being organized. I have done this earlier this past year on my own for football VERY small scale ( three teams) and I was hired to shoot this past weekend by another photographer.

For this past weekend, there were about 20 flag football teams. One person was helping customers with questions and directing teams to photographers stations. There were three photographers shooting individuals and one shooting the teams.

Each child had their form completed and it was handed to me. I shot two images of each kid and after I was done, I recorded the camera frame number on the order form.

This is the best way to keep track of what customer wants and the package information.

I used Millers and I am glad I did :) There is a definite learning curve to the software.

Hope this helps

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
May 26, 2017 11:04 |  #6

Where would you get a clapperboard from in the UK? Sounds a fun prop.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
uk
May 28, 2017 01:47 |  #7

Ebay have them from £3

sponsored links

2,224 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographing Groups
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.