Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 04:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos

ma11rats
Joined Feb 2013
Az
Post has been edited 4 months ago by ma11rats.
May 29, 2017 00:46 |  #1051

Michael456 wrote in post #18365388 (external link)
Thanks. I'll try that next time and will also try center point only as lijoec suggested. Hope I'll get the hang of this eventually.

Ctr point only for BIF is REALLY difficult. For birds walking around/sitting on branches, that's the one I'll use. But if I'm tracking across the sky, I go zone(but not all pts). I'm too shaky/wobbly. Also, keep in mind that the dual cross points may only work with f5.6 lenses. So If you're using f8 combos you're probably losing a level of contrast. I noticed one of your birds was black and white with little detail for the camera to lock onto. That's a tough bird for the camera to lock on in even the best case scenarios.

Also, are you using back button focus? I find it helps when using AI SERVO. Keeping your thumb on focus while you hit the shutter button means the AF system never stops working it's algorithm. I don't know about you but I find it difficult to hit the shutter button and release just enough to keep it half pressed. If you take your index finger off completely you have to go back to half pressing to actuate AF, loosing even just a split second.

Anywho, keep us posted.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)
5D, 6D, 80D, 35f2IS, 135L, T 85f1.8VC, T 24-70f2.8VC, Tok 12-28f4

sponsored links
lijoec
Joined Jan 2009
Long Island
May 29, 2017 07:20 |  #1052

Michael456 wrote in post #18365388 (external link)
Thanks. I'll try that next time and will also try center point only as lijoec suggested. Hope I'll get the hang of this eventually.

on the 50D that works for me best , I meant for you if the center box as an option I would use that. I can't wait to get my 80D and play with all the new features . Don't get frustrated , it should be fun experimenting and learning!

Cheers,
Joe

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
May 29, 2017 08:18 |  #1053

Using all points wouldn't be bad for fast action. Such as BIF or sports. Or another zone of your choosing

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

Michael456
239 posts
Joined Apr 2016
May 29, 2017 12:56 |  #1054

Thanks ma11rats & lijoec. Next time I get the chance I'll try center zone and center point, to see how those work out.
I've never used back button focus, but I'll try - thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a problem releasing the sutter button so it remains half-pressed, but back button focus might still work better.

Birds are a lot easier to shoot when they're not flying ;-)a
From yesterday:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Terrycanon
Joined Mar 2016
Lancashire, UK
May 29, 2017 14:52 |  #1055

Tried a panorama while in Scotland. Five upright, hand-held shots stitched in Photoshop CC. There's a very lonely house in the valley...

HOSTED PHOTO

See my pictures on Flickr: tezzerh

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
May 29, 2017 15:56 |  #1056

Looks like the perfect place for a house actually

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

woodpecker
Joined Jul 2012
Newmarket, ON
May 30, 2017 10:41 |  #1057

I saw this while walking through a local conservation area yesterday.
I don’t have a clue what it is but it looked interesting just the same.

Gord

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4269/34179325333_fed11079bf_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/U5iY​CD] (external link)4927 (external link) by Gord Graff (external link), on Flickr

I know I'm a novice but I work hard at what I like....... and I like photography.
Canon EOS 550D / EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS / EF 50mm f/1.8 II / EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
Canon EOS 80D / EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
May 30, 2017 13:20 |  #1058

Michael456 wrote in post #18364370 (external link)
While I did get some nice shots, I still had lots of photos were nothing was really in focus.
One example:
Screen shot from DPP showing the active focus point:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Michael456 in
./showthread.php?p=183​64370&i=i65435358
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Basically the whole bird is slightly out of focus. Other shots are nice and sharp, but I feel there are way too many like this one.
I'd like to try without the extender, but the dang birds just won't let me get close enough.

Hi Michael, please take my suggestions with a grain of salt, since I don't have experience with the 80D as others here.

But here's what I see...since you are using the 1.4xIII, you're AF area will be Group G on page 131 of the manual.
In this case only the center 9 AF points will have superior precision AF. The other AF points are not as good. The active AF
point in the photo is one of the "lesser" AF points. I don't know if this plays a role in your AF problem, but you might want
to try the Zone AF area, p. 120, 124. That way only the superior precision AF points will be used.

I don't shoot BIF, but I do photograph aircraft in flight. I have noticed that when my active AF point falls on a portion of the plane
that is solid in color, and without much detail, the image is often soft. I see that in your photo. That's why I stopped using a single AF point. Zone AF area
works better.

Anyway, just thinking out loud ;-)a

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
May 30, 2017 13:35 |  #1059

Michael456 wrote in post #18365770 (external link)
I've never used back button focus, but I'll try - thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a problem releasing the sutter button so it remains half-pressed, but back button focus might still work better.

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com ...ckbutton_af_article​.shtml (external link)

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com ...ips/qt_backbuttonaf​.shtml (external link)

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com ...orris/birdsasart_af​.shtml (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

bones519
Joined Dec 2011
Ontario, CAN
May 30, 2017 19:22 |  #1060

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from bones519's gallery.

little ­ johny
352 posts
Joined Sep 2010
May 30, 2017 21:35 |  #1061

Wish I had the complete reflection of the bird

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4271/34615472220_e0ef825702_c.jpg

lijoec
Joined Jan 2009
Long Island
May 30, 2017 21:46 as a reply to little johny's post |  #1062

Defiantly nice shot, the whole reflection would have been awesome!

Cheers,
Joe

Michael456
239 posts
Joined Apr 2016
May 31, 2017 01:07 |  #1063

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18366642 (external link)
Hi Michael, please take my suggestions with a grain of salt, since I don't have experience with the 80D as others here.

But here's what I see...since you are using the 1.4xIII, you're AF area will be Group G on page 131 of the manual.
In this case only the center 9 AF points will have superior precision AF. The other AF points are not as good. The active AF
point in the photo is one of the "lesser" AF points. I don't know if this plays a role in your AF problem, but you might want
to try the Zone AF area, p. 120, 124. That way only the superior precision AF points will be used.

I don't shoot BIF, but I do photograph aircraft in flight. I have noticed that when my active AF point falls on a portion of the plane
that is solid in color, and without much detail, the image is often soft. I see that in your photo. That's why I stopped using a single AF point. Zone AF area
works better.

Anyway, just thinking out loud ;-)a

Thanks! I'll definitely try center zone next time. Hope I'll get a chance today after work - not sure if the weather will hold, though.

Terrycanon
Joined Mar 2016
Lancashire, UK
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Terrycanon.
May 31, 2017 11:40 |  #1064

Bought a Canon 24-70 f4L IS USM today. I've had my eye on one for ages and Canon UK have just introduced a £165 cashback offer on it, so I took the plunge. Probably a MkII is on the way, but reviews of this lens, including one in the latest PhotoPlus Canon UK magazine, all say its image quality is superb. It's less than half the price of the 24-70 f2.8L and has IS, which the f2.8 doesn't. I'm going to try it as a walk-round lens. The macro is a bit weird, though. You have to push a fiddly button on the side of the lens, which may take some getting used to, and there are no proper instructions. Well, there is a leaflet headed "Instructions" but all that tells you is stuff like "Don't look at the sun through this lens." Hmmmm.... Here is my first micro effort with the lens - the best of a bad bunch, I'm afraid. Not up to Michael 456's high standards with micro by a long way, but it's a learning curve. It's a bee, by the way, but the darned things won't keep still!

HOSTED PHOTO

See my pictures on Flickr: tezzerh

Michael456
239 posts
Joined Apr 2016
May 31, 2017 13:09 |  #1065

I hear you on bees not keeping still. Sometimes they're so hyperactive that you just cannot get a shot. Before you get a chance to focus, they're gone again...

I tried BIF again today, this time using the center AF point zone only. That worked way better than before - the ratio of sharp shot vs soft ones went up quite a bit. Unfortunately I didn't get any really great shots as the birds didn't let me get close enough.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Note to self: never ever use line sensors for tracking again ;-)a
Thanks a lot for the help, everybody!

sponsored links

382,671 views & 4503 likes for this thread
-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.