Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 29 May 2017 (Monday) 20:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Post Processing Issue

Naperbug
Hatchling
Joined May 2017
May 29, 2017 20:26 |  #1

Hello - I'm new here.

I'm having an issue with one of the images I recently took. I usually have similar problem with other images as well of same type taken in broad day light.

The below image was taken in Amsterdam. Using a 24-70 2.8 II with 5D MKIII with a B+W CPL.

The issue: if you look at the spots where the edge of the buildings meet the sky, there is white 'flaring'. Forgive me if I'm not able to explain the problem correctly. But it seems that the entire sky is dark blue but there is white ghosting like artifact near the edges of the building where the sky meets.

How to correct it? I have tried adjusting basic settings in Lightroom lite.

Thank you

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,539 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Brisbane, Australia
May 29, 2017 20:28 |  #2

It looks like maybe it's overuse of the Clarity slider?
May we see a screenshot of your edit settings?

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Naperbug
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined May 2017
May 29, 2017 20:36 |  #3

If you look, I have reduced the clarity slider to negative value. However the blue/white issue is still there but slightly reduced

HOSTED PHOTO

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
May 29, 2017 20:51 |  #4

Looks like an attempt at an HDR picture done in Camera. I almost don't believe that is single exposure RAW file as the sky is too blue.

Can you post a link to the raw file on Dropbox

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Naperbug
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined May 2017
May 29, 2017 20:56 |  #5

Yes this was an HDR image. I'm not sure how to add to Dropbox

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
May 29, 2017 21:29 |  #6

Naperbug wrote in post #18366187 (external link)

If you use in Camera software to stitch together an HDR image such as that, you can almost guarantee that exact outcome every time.

If your camera was set up to save the individual raw files used to create the HDR image, you can import them into LR and see how their auto combine mode does, you can also test the PS, in LR selection menu selection, to try that semi automatic method, or you are going to have to learn PS.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
May 30, 2017 08:22 |  #7

Naperbug wrote in post #18366187 (external link)

Dropbox is very useful in my opinion so spending the 10 minutes to set it up is worth it.

If you don't have a Dropbox Account then goto Dropbox and set up a free account - believe you get 2 gigs for free.

Dropbox just becomes another Drive on your computer.

Create a Directory Structure on Dropbox, just like on your PC, to keep things organized - i.e. create in this case, a directory called Flickr as an example.

Connect your memory card from your camera to your PC and then copy the desired RAW picture, or pictures, from the SD card to the Dropbox directory that you want to put it into.

After the file has been placed in the desired Dropbox directory, if you Right Click on the file, or the Directory containing the file, one of the choices that will appear is (Copy Dropbox Link) - click on this

You can then paste this link in a Flickr Post or and email to send to people.

This is the way I send wedding pictures to couples - I will create a master Directory, with subdirectories organizing the day, and I will send a link to the Master Directory - they are then free to Download everything when they have the time.

good luck

PhotosGuy
74,826 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
May 30, 2017 08:31 |  #8

Halos in trees & around buildings are similar to selecting hair in PP. I don't use LR, so you may have to use the free Adobe Photoshop PSCS2 (external link) Russell Brown has some excellent ones here: Russell Brown Tips & Techniques: Advanced Masking (external link)
Look for the "Advanced Masking" ones.

How To Remove Background Around Lots Of Hair Photoshop CS6 Tutorial

Learn how to make complex hair selections in Photoshop (external link)

How To Replace The Sky In A Photo With Photoshop (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
May 30, 2017 08:33 |  #9

Yep, artifact of HDR.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Peano
Goldmember
1,625 posts
Joined Aug 2007
May 30, 2017 09:04 as a reply to Naperbug's post |  #10

Im not sure how to add to Dropbox[/QUOTE wrote:

Just go to dropbox.com, enter your name, email and a password, and click "Sign up for free."

---
Peano
RadiantPics.comexternal link

Naperbug
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined May 2017
May 31, 2017 20:23 |  #11

Hello friends - I tried something new to my image to fix the bad hdr artifact on the sky.

I used 'photoshop fix' on my iPad to blend a different photo of a sky.

Have a look and tell me what you think? I know that the contrast of the sky can be adjusted to be of lighter color. But how about editing ?

HOSTED PHOTO

Peano
Goldmember
1,625 posts
Joined Aug 2007
May 31, 2017 20:33 |  #12

Naperbug wrote in post #18367902 (external link)
I know that the contrast of the sky can be adjusted to be of lighter color. But how about editing ?

Sorry, that won't do. You hacked off trees left and right. You need to figure out how you created the halos in the first place, and then how to avoid them.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.comexternal link

Naperbug
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined May 2017
May 31, 2017 20:57 |  #13

Peano wrote in post #18367916 (external link)
Sorry, that won't do. You hacked off trees left and right. You need to figure out how you created the halos in the first place, and then how to avoid them.

Thanks. I do see the trees being hacked.

I think this is a problem with the 'cut off' feature I encounter using no pencil / stylus. Requires better editing skills.

We know why halos were created, using HDR with sky typically has this affect.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jun 01, 2017 03:13 |  #14

When the HDR was created, in order to increase the apparent contrast at edges of relatively similar tone it actually creates a gradient across the edge. So the lighter side gets lightened and the darker side gts darkened. This is also pretty much how sharpening works, but usually across only a few pixels. In this case though the gradient is very very much wider than that. It really shows up on many of the roofs in the shot, and many of the other edges as well. Even if you sorted out the selection issues around the trees, the dark half of the halo is still really obvious, well it is if you are using a well calibrated monitor.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

2,281 views & 6 likes for this thread
Post Processing Issue
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.