Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 31, 2017 23:22 |  #3736

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc/Lens/Canon-50L/i-wwGzrQh/0/db9bef57/X2/20170531-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X%20Mark%20II-1DX22190-X2.jpg

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
David ­ Stallard
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Essex - UK
Jun 01, 2017 08:56 |  #3737

Dreading asking this but -

Mainly jpeg for my racing as explained previously BUT just thought I would give it a go in RAW to try out the f8 focusing etc, all went pretty good until I got how - fired up Photoshop CS5 Ext, went to open a raw file and
Yep you knew it was coming.
Wouldn't open it, gave me the 'not supported by the installed version of camera raw'. Okay I thought, help / updates / all up to date!!!!

Checked online, downloaded newest version of CR but it doesn't work, I am running a stupidly hi spec PC with win 7 x64 (hate win 10) photoshop CS5 ext, raw ver: 6.7.1.340.

Please tell me I don't have to fork out for another version of PS as this does everything I need it to (other than new raw files obviously) or win 10.

Help please

.DAVID. xx

EOS box that goes click and some tubes with glass in them on the front.
http://www.davidstalla​rdphotography.com/external link

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,739 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jun 01, 2017 09:07 |  #3738

David Stallard wrote in post #18368209 (external link)

Mainly jpeg for my racing as explained previously BUT just thought I would give it a go in RAW to try out the f8 focusing etc, all went pretty good until I got how - fired up Photoshop CS5 Ext, went to open a raw file and
Yep you knew it was coming.
Wouldn't open it, gave me the 'not supported by the installed version of camera raw'. Okay I thought, help / updates / all up to date!!!!

Checked online, downloaded newest version of CR but it doesn't work, I am running a stupidly hi spec PC with win 7 x64 (hate win 10) photoshop CS5 ext, raw ver: 6.7.1.340.

Please tell me I don't have to fork out for another version of PS as this does everything I need it to (other than new raw files obviously) or win 10.

Help please

.DAVID. xx

DPP --> Export to Tiff

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

David ­ Stallard
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Essex - UK
Jun 01, 2017 09:09 |  #3739

Thanks for the prompt reply - Sorry - is DPP canons software? never installed or used it in all the years I have been working digital.

If I do then I guess my photoshop is basically obsolete (or keep it just for my 5dmkIII raw files)

.DAVID.

David ­ Stallard
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Essex - UK
Jun 01, 2017 13:22 |  #3740

Sorry guys, not sure what this little guy is, just a group of first's / test's

1DXmkII (first shot in raw) 200-400 with the canon mkIII x2 extender (hand held) and first attempt 'ever' with dpp software. Does it work? or have I gone too far with the processing?

1/500, f/8, iso 320, 800mm

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/Wildlife/i-gfq6CH9/0/4fc20b00/XL/DPP%20test%20con%20DSP_3669-XL.jpg

Any pointers greatly received.

.DAVID.

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,739 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jun 01, 2017 14:30 |  #3741

David Stallard wrote in post #18368439 (external link)
Sorry guys, not sure what this little guy is, just a group of first's / test's

.DAVID.

It's a bird.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Jun 01, 2017 15:43 |  #3742

It doesn't look too far to me.

However, if you prefer or are more comfortable with your PS workflow, it's only a small step to use DPP to convert your CR2 files in a batch to TIFF which you can then open in RS.

Gear List

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Post has been edited 6 months ago by jwcdds.
Jun 01, 2017 16:13 |  #3743

David Stallard wrote in post #18368209 (external link)

Help please

.DAVID. xx

Doesn't quite solve your problem, but I learned that same problem years ago when I had PS 4, then needing to upgrade to PS 5 in order to work on RAW files as I was upgrading my camera bodies along the way.

It finally dawned upon me that it was cheaper/easier to just get Lightroom (which has become such a great photo editor) and do the very final touches as it can be linked to whatever version Photoshop when you export the images.

The only pisser is that my RAIDed harddrives crashed last summer and with it, went my stand-alone installation files for both Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6. So I won't be able to install the softwares again if/when I am forced to upgrade my desktop in the coming years. I'd have to jump on to the subscription-based CC versions.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

rejay14
Joined Mar 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Jun 01, 2017 21:42 as a reply to jwcdds's post |  #3744

If you're shooting a 1Dx like in your avatar, even jpeg's should be great.

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 Kit with too many modifiers http://...www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Jun 01, 2017 23:33 |  #3745

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc/Lens/Canon-50L/i-tgJrgm9/0/adc9346b/X2/20170601-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X%20Mark%20II-1DX22230-X2.jpg

Julian

David ­ Stallard
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Essex - UK
Jun 02, 2017 00:56 |  #3746

rejay14 wrote in post #18368774 (external link)
If you're shooting a 1Dx like in your avatar, even jpeg's should be great.

I am shooting with the 1DX mkII yes, racing shots are jpeg (as explained earlier in the post) but every now and then it would be nice to shoot a few stills in raw so being able to work on them in PS would have been great.

.DAVID.

David ­ Stallard
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Essex - UK
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by David Stallard. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 02, 2017 10:14 |  #3747

Posting in the 200-400 thread as well.

Still first day with the dpp software so please excuse them being a little 'rough around the edges'. Few more test shots to see how the system handled the 200-400 with extra 2x converter (hand held sorry) With the x2 fitted we have f/8 and the focusing is still pretty quick and the detail is quite nice even though I do say so myself.

#1 Too slow a shutter speed really but it did keep focus on the head at 800mm

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/Wildlife/i-MZwVLgn/0/234c55dc/XL/DPP%20test%20DSP_3690-XL.jpg

#2 Breakfast on the 'sway' def better at 1/1250

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/Wildlife/i-hTGcvHp/0/ae49aed9/XL/DPP%20test%20DSP_3712-XL.jpg

#3 Actually through a reed bed so yes - very happy

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/Wildlife/i-XjwRvqD/0/d8d60d2c/XL/DPP%20test%20DSP_3716-XL.jpg

#4 Last one - this was with the built in 1.4 engaged as well meaning f/11 manual focus - 9 times out of 10 as long as I was braced against something I would autofocus at 800mm /f/8 then flip the switch to give me the full 1120mm at f/11

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/Wildlife/i-H75HwnV/0/daf3ffde/XL/DPP%20test%20DSP_3757-XL.jpg

Hope this helps for those that asked or wondered.

.DAVID.

sploo
premature adulation
2,179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
Jun 02, 2017 16:36 |  #3748

David Stallard wrote in post #18368218 (external link)
Thanks for the prompt reply - Sorry - is DPP canons software? never installed or used it in all the years I have been working digital.

If I do then I guess my photoshop is basically obsolete (or keep it just for my 5dmkIII raw files)

.DAVID.

As Julian's noted - Lightroom could be a good solution.

I'm still running Photoshop CS6 (the last standalone version I believe). I use the standalone version of Lightroom 6 to import and manage photos, and indeed for the vast majority of shots all the editing I need I can do within LR.

For those that require more work, there's an "Open in Photoshop" function, which brings the raw (that Lightroom has read) into PS; and if it's a version of PS that doesn't support that camera, it's opened as a 16bit TIFF or PSD with your colour space of choice. As far as I'm aware, it loses nothing over opening the file directly in a modern version of PS with the same settings (they both use Adobe Camera Raw [ACR]).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

LJ3Jim
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Jun 02, 2017 16:52 |  #3749

David Stallard wrote in post #18368218 (external link)

.DAVID.

My wife and I finally gave up and went with Adobe Creative Cloud. It's $120/year, but B&H occasionally has it on sale for $90/year. So that's $7.50 to $10 per month per person, which isn't much compared to what we've spent on equipment. Or dinners out. Or Keurig cups. ;-)a

Adobe CC includes Lightroom and Photoshop, and it gets updated pretty quickly when new equipment is released. I don't like subscription software, but it has worked out well for both my wife and myself.

We do use DPP to make the initial pass through our photos to delete the losers. It's much faster to do that in DPP than importing the raw files into Lightroom and evaluating them there.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

LJ3Jim
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Jun 02, 2017 16:54 |  #3750

David Stallard wrote in post #18369141 (external link)
#4 Last one - this was with the built in 1.4 engaged as well meaning f/11 manual focus - 9 times out of 10 as long as I was braced against something I would autofocus at 800mm /f/8 then flip the switch to give me the full 1120mm at f/11
QUOTED IMAGE

Hope this helps for those that asked or wondered.

.DAVID.

That's impressive!

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

sponsored links

938,924 views & 12017 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.