Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 03 Jun 2017 (Saturday) 22:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Multiplier for Rebel T6 ?

Howa
Hatchling
Joined Jun 2017
Jun 03, 2017 22:04 |  #1

I'm new to this photography stuf and was wondering if anyone knows if I can use a 2X multiplier. I have two lenses a 18-55 and another 75 to 300 and would like to try a 2X multiplier if it's possible. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,475 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Jun 03, 2017 22:09 |  #2

Both of those lenses are f5.6 at the long end. A 2X converter when added will therefore cause the aperture to be f11 and the auto focus system will not work. You will have to focus manually with a very dim viewfinder.

Mark

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Jun 03, 2017 22:23 |  #3

I believe the extenders, at least Canon, do not work with EF-S lenses, such as the 18-55.

One may try non-Canon extender, such as Kenko. I was able to use one at f/8, but needed bright light conditions, and focusing was not reliable, so eventually I got rid of it.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

Howa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Jun 2017
Jun 03, 2017 23:30 as a reply to Lbsimon's post |  #4

Thank you

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Post has been edited 6 months ago by BigAl007.
Jun 04, 2017 05:08 |  #5

The OP's 75-300 is an EF not EF-s mount, but as I can testify it is one of Canon's all time worst lenses. Mine went missing, and I replaced it with a Sigma 28-300 superzoom, which was a much better performing lens. Still being naive about AF systems, and digital for that matter, having just moved from a Pentax K mount based film setup, I tried a 2× converter on the 75-300.

I used a cheap non reporting Jessops brand converter, this was back in 2005, on my 300D. The results are predictably very poor, not that my results were great using the lens without the converter. I had thought that I would be able to MF if necessary. The thing I had not considered is that unlike the old MF lenses I was used to, that had the hard stop close enough to the infinity mark that you could get away with reasonably distant subjects, the AF lenses have the stop well past that point, so that the motors don't keep hitting the stop. So you can't just set the lens to infinity and shoot.

Still here is an example of the 75-300 with a cheap 2× converter. I know that it is with the converter thanks to the subject size in the frame. It was shot as an in camera JPEG, but I have done my best to optimise the final image in LRCC just prior to posting. It was then output from LR at the POTN limit of 1280px. Oh and I have updated the image data to reflect the results of using the extender.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jun 04, 2017 09:11 |  #6

Teleconveters are mainly useful for long, fast primes like a 300mm f2.8. There's no magic ticket for getting cheap reach, if you're looking for a long range zoom on a budget the best you can get without spending thousands is the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Jun 04, 2017 11:15 |  #7

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18370584 (external link)
Teleconveters are mainly useful for long, fast primes like a 300mm f2.8. There's no magic ticket for getting cheap reach, if you're looking for a long range zoom on a budget the best you can get without spending thousands is the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary.

-Joe

This is indeed the real reality. Some of the better quality faster zooms will work OK with a teleconverter, but usually only with the 1.4×, since they only steal one stop of light, and are much less damaging to image quality. If the OP really needs 600mm then the cheapest way to do that with any quality is the Sigma 150-600 C, especially if you are shooting moving subjects and optical image stabilisation is important to you. The Sigma has OS mode 2 for panning. The Tamron 150-600 G1 is cheaper in the US, here in the UK it is the same price as the Sigma, but the VC is disabled when panning. At least it now disables itself automatically, I made the mistake of shooting a whole airshow with and early model with the VC turned on, since I usually shoot prop planes at 1/160s or slower. The VC feedback ruined most of the shots.

If you don't need 600mm, but still need more than 300mm then the new Sigma 100-400 may be worth a look initial reports seem favourable. If it is only comparable IQ wise with the Canon 100-400 L version 1, the more modern image stabilisation system of the Sigma could make it a better buy than a similarly priced secondhand Canon. I am hopeful that this will be the situation, comparing my Sigma 150-600 C to the results from the rented version 1 100-400's that I have used puts the Sigma just ahead at 400mm, with no real loss out to the maximum 600mm.

I struggled to find a picture of the BBMF Dakota shot at 600mm. The one show where I have been able to shoot it with the Sigma was at the Shuttleworth collection, which is a very small venue, and the post Shoreham restrictions on shows had not bitten too hard. So I was generally zoomed out a bit to get it in the frame. Still I found one shot of the same aircraft, in her new paint scheme, shot at 600mm. I left it uncropped for a better comparison, although I would be perfectly happy to crop it down for better composition.

HOSTED PHOTO

I don't really think that the above image is all that great. I think these are much better recommendations for the lens.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from BigAl007's gallery.

Alan

Lbsimon
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Jun 04, 2017 11:32 |  #8

It is kind of hard to recommend $800 - $1,000 lenses to somebody who currently owns low line lenses like 18-55 and 75-300. Somehow I doubt that the OP has this budget, but I can easily be mistaken.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Jun 04, 2017 18:13 |  #9

Lbsimon wrote in post #18370716 (external link)
It is kind of hard to recommend $800 - $1,000 lenses to somebody who currently owns low line lenses like 18-55 and 75-300. Somehow I doubt that the OP has this budget, but I can easily be mistaken.

I know that, but to be honest I don't really know of any other way to get to what he wants with any sort of quality or reliability. Owning a lens that goes to 300mm and asking to use a 2× converter seems to imply that the OP wants a lens that will reach 600mm. At least we do now have options that produce very good results at those focal lengths, that cost under £1000. That is not bad when three or four years ago the only option that would get you to 600mm natively was £12000 I think that is a very good deal indeed.

There are the cheap 500mm f/8 catadioptric lenses available, but I have had one of those too, and the only advantage is the stop faster brightness in the VF. I suppose as they are MF at least the MF action is not as bad as MFing an AF lens. Since they all seem to be T mount, with a variety of adapters you still get the lens moving past infinity, and defocusing, when trying to focus. Considering they all throw a full 35mm format image circle they vignet like crazy for such a long focal length, and the donuts are simply ugly. Of all the shots I have done with my 500mm mirror lens, I have only prepared two for printing, and then I didn't actually send them to the lab.

Knowing how bad the 75-300 is, I would say that it would probably be much better in the case of limited funds to unload the 75-300 and look for a 55-250 STM. I say the 55-250 because none of the cheaper 70-300 options seem to have much of a reputation for quality, unless you start getting close to the price of the previously mentioned longer lenses.

The 55-250 seems to have a really good reputation for an introductory telephoto zoom, and will give much better results when cropped to match the FoV of the 300mm, plus you get IS. I know that you will be perfectly able to do a 1.5× crop using the 55-250, to get a 375mm FoV, simply crop so your long edge matches the number of pixels on the short edge. Doing that you will still have 8 Mpix from the 18 Mpix on the T6 sensor. It is a crop I will often make on my 50D, and that is only 6.7 Mpix. With a lens with good IQ it is surprising just how much you can get away with cropping, especially if you are only going to display the images on screen.

Lbsimon
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Jun 04, 2017 19:56 as a reply to BigAl007's post |  #10

Can't argue with that, however - everything is relative. Yes, for what we pay $1000 now we had to prepare to shell out 10 times more a few years back (being an amateur I could never imagine to spend that kind of money on photography). But a $1000 bucks spent on a hobby is still a lot of money for other people.

And the 55-250 STM, while a good lens, still would not allow the use of a 2x TC, something that the OP wants.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,632 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Jun 05, 2017 05:10 |  #11

Canon's extenders, like the EF 1.4X extender III and the EF 2X extender III, both protrude into the lens they are mounted on. Thus the lens has to be prepared and designed with this in mind, or there will be a mechanical collision between the rearmost element in the lens and the front of the extender.
Most of Canon's zoom lenses from 70- and up will fit this requirement. It's also true for most prime lenses from the EF 135 mm f/2L USM and upwards.
The fact that Canon's converters are light grey, not black, hints to which lenses they are designed for. But they don't fit the EF 28-300 mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM nor the EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6L IS USM anyway, to give some examples. So make sure to check before you buy. They do fit my old EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, but the result is not terrific. Matched with the EF 300 mm f/2.8L IS II USM, it's a completely different ballgame.

Anders

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Jun 05, 2017 11:36 |  #12

Lbsimon wrote in post #18371064 (external link)
Can't argue with that, however - everything is relative. Yes, for what we pay $1000 now we had to prepare to shell out 10 times more a few years back (being an amateur I could never imagine to spend that kind of money on photography). But a $1000 bucks spent on a hobby is still a lot of money for other people.

And the 55-250 STM, while a good lens, still would not allow the use of a 2x TC, something that the OP wants.

The issue is that even with a third party non reporting 2× converter, I really think that you would get better results cropping off 75% of the pixels from the sensor using the 55-250 STM, which will get you to a 500mm FoV. Looking at the current prices of the lens I would think you could pick one up for not much more than the cost of a reasonable third party converter. The OP would have the advantage of being able to sell the 75-300 to offset some of the cost.

A cheap 2× converter on a cheap into telephoto zoom is going to affect the image quality so badly that I really think the drastic crop to match the required FoV, followed by resizing the image back to the original pixel dimensions, will be no worse, and with the better zoom lens, may be better than the current lens and converter. If the OP gets the 55-250 STM second hand at a decent price, and sells his 75-300 he could actually do it cheaper than the cost of a converter.

Alan

Lbsimon
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Jun 05, 2017 11:40 |  #13

BigAl007 wrote in post #18371497 (external link)
The issue is that even with a third party non reporting 2× converter, I really think that you would get better results cropping off 75% of the pixels from the sensor using the 55-250 STM, which will get you to a 500mm FoV. Looking at the current prices of the lens I would think you could pick one up for not much more than the cost of a reasonable third party converter. The OP would have the advantage of being able to sell the 75-300 to offset some of the cost.

A cheap 2× converter on a cheap into telephoto zoom is going to affect the image quality so badly that I really think the drastic crop to match the required FoV, followed by resizing the image back to the original pixel dimensions, will be no worse, and with the better zoom lens, may be better than the current lens and converter. If the OP gets the 55-250 STM second hand at a decent price, and sells his 75-300 he could actually do it cheaper than the cost of a converter.

Alan

Again, can't agree more with that. Unless the OP want to use a 2x TC in order to crop a 600 mm image! :-)

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Jun 05, 2017 13:09 |  #14

Lbsimon wrote in post #18371499 (external link)
Again, can't agree more with that. Unless the OP want to use a 2x TC in order to crop a 600 mm image! :-)

Well I think if he wants to crop a 600mm image, he better find the money for one of the 150-600's, because the results from the 75-300 with a 2× converter you really won't want to crop, short of a little rotation to align an image maybe. Unfortunately getting useable 600mm on the cheap means £789 or more. It's still cheap compared to £11349, the current price for the 600 f/4 :).

There is another option if the OP only has a very limited need for such focal lengths, and that is renting. Back when I could not afford the 100-400L, in the days before the 150-600's were released, I would rent one for the bigger more important airshows. Especially the two day shows where a three day rent really made sense. The company I use for rentals, Lenses for Hire (external link) are very good, since if you time a three day rent correctly over the weekend, they would ship to you on Tuesday, so it arrived Wednesday. You then had Thursday, Friday, and Saturday as your rental. As you could not ship the lens back on a Sunday you had to then ship it on Monday, for delivery to them on Tuesday. One of my major airshows to visit is over a bank holiday weekend, so then you can't ship it back till Tuesday, all for the same three day rental price.

If you only need the lens very occasionally, once or maybe twice a year, renting can work out reasonably cheap, compared to owning, but not using the lens. Of course once you own a lens like the 150-600 then you do seem to be able to find a lot more uses for it than the original purpose of buying.

Alan

Lbsimon
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Lbsimon.
Jun 05, 2017 13:20 |  #15

BigAl007 wrote in post #18371573 (external link)
Of course once you own a lens like the 150-600 then you do seem to be able to find a lot more uses for it than the original purpose of buying.

Alan

After having, in sequence, over last six years, Canon 55-250, Tamron 70-300 VC, Sigma 100-400 OS, I got the 100-400L II. That last one makes me now go out to shoot birds every freaking weekend!!! :-)

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110

sponsored links

2,540 views & 0 likes for this thread
Multiplier for Rebel T6 ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.