Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 04:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jun 06, 2017 01:38 as a reply to post 18371861 |  #1096

I use live view and the articulating screen on the T6s or M3 often for product photography, namely 3D printed objects, and for casual portraiture. I also use them for videos of items being 3D printed or for blog-style video, making the articulating screen much needed. I love my 7D2 which is primarily my wildlife rig for the FPS and AF speed, but miss the touchscreen when I try to use it for product-type shooting. I'm also invested in crop glass like my Sigma 50-100mm, so I really am not looking at FF. If it's not worth the upgrade maybe I'll just hang onto the T6s, ditch the M3 and EF-M lenses, and invest in glass.

Thanks,
Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
ma11rats
Joined Feb 2013
Az
Jun 06, 2017 13:13 as a reply to TreeburnerCT's post |  #1097

I think for your situation you would greatly benefit from the DPAF live view autofocus. Even if you didn't go 80D and went 77D(to stay with the smaller form factor) to replace your t6s, the DPAF and the new 45pt AF would be an upgrade.

I'm planning on getting the 77D, though the tiny viewfinder may drive me nuts, when Canon puts it on their refurb page and posts it's first sale. My hope is around $650 in a year or so. It will be my travel camera. I've played with it at Best buy a couple of times and I just prefer it to the M5

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)
5D, 6D, 80D, 35f2IS, T 85f1.8VC, T 24-70f2.8VC, T 17-50f2.8

woodpecker
Joined Jul 2012
Newmarket, ON
Jun 06, 2017 17:05 |  #1098

A footbridge over an over-sized mud puddle we call Fairy Lake.

Gord

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4268/34779360262_02c81d47f7_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/UZkj​7s] (external link)4791 (external link) by Gord Graff (external link), on Flickr

I know I'm a novice but I work hard at what I like....... and I like photography.
Canon EOS 550D / EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS / EF 50mm f/1.8 II / EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
Canon EOS 80D / EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

sjnovakovich
Joined Aug 2007
Central PA
Jun 07, 2017 00:26 |  #1099

Still learning the ins and outs of the 80D. Yesterday, I blew a ton of action eagle shots because I wasn't paying attention to shutter speed. Today, I came across this bad boy in Kincaid Park.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Jun 07, 2017 01:08 |  #1100

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18372085 (external link)
I use live view and the articulating screen on the T6s or M3 often for product photography, namely 3D printed objects, and for casual portraiture. I also use them for videos of items being 3D printed or for blog-style video, making the articulating screen much needed. I love my 7D2 which is primarily my wildlife rig for the FPS and AF speed, but miss the touchscreen when I try to use it for product-type shooting. I'm also invested in crop glass like my Sigma 50-100mm, so I really am not looking at FF. If it's not worth the upgrade maybe I'll just hang onto the T6s, ditch the M3 and EF-M lenses, and invest in glass.

Thanks,
Joe

for your usage, the 80D would be better for product-type shooting.
Another would be to wait for 6D2 (coming soon July2017) and see if the articulating screen has touch screen....
:-D

https://petapixel.com ...me-dslr-articulating-lcd/ (external link)

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

Terrycanon
Joined Mar 2016
Lancashire, UK
Jun 07, 2017 06:46 |  #1101

Macro is quite a challenge for me, but I did wonder what these two bees were up to!

HOSTED PHOTO

See my pictures on Flickr: tezzerh

harryh813
Joined Mar 2017
Tampa, Florida, U.S.
Jun 07, 2017 07:22 |  #1102

sjnovakovich wrote in post #18372864 (external link)
Still learning the ins and outs of the 80D. Yesterday, I blew a ton of action eagle shots because I wasn't paying attention to shutter speed. Today, I came across this bad boy in Kincaid Park.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by sjnovakovich in
./showthread.php?p=183​72864&i=i17603726
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

I've moved into the world of manual shooting and I blow a lot of shots trying to get aperture and shutter speed set quickly on action shots. I feel your pain. I just recently sold my 40D and picked up the 80D. So far I really like it!

Canon EOS 80D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS |

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jun 08, 2017 06:37 as a reply to harryh813's post |  #1103

As a fairly new wildlife shooter, when I take my 7D2 out for shooting BIF and other animals I take full advantage of the custom shooting modes, setting all with high enough shutter speed to stop action, then set C1 to full sunshine exposure, C2 to partly cloudy conditions, and C3 to full shade. That way as the lighting changes I can switch exposure quickly without dropping my shutter speed too low, and I can always perfect the exposure in post.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

harryh813
Joined Mar 2017
Tampa, Florida, U.S.
Jun 08, 2017 07:25 as a reply to TreeburnerCT's post |  #1104

That's something else I'm attempting to learn to do, post process my pictures. I only have GIMP so I'm trying to learn how to adjust things using GIMP. All of my pictures that I post are unmodified except maybe cropping them.

"Owning lots of expensive gear is very important. I helps those of us without talent appear as if we really know what we're doing" (Belmondo)

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jun 08, 2017 09:06 as a reply to harryh813's post |  #1105

I use GIMP for graphic editing but for post processing RAW files you really can't beat Adobe Lightroom. $10 a month was a tough pill to swallow for me at first, but now that I'm using it I'm glad I didn't keep struggling with RawTherapee, Zoner Photo Studio and other free or lower-cost options that don't do the job nearly as well. After spending thousands on camera gear it doesn't pay to pinch pennies on post processing. I just remind myself that the results are far more dramatic than a new lens or body.

-Joe

i-G12
Wat?
1,368 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Post has been edited 6 months ago by i-G12.
Jun 08, 2017 09:42 |  #1106

$10 a month... Three fewer cups of coffee unless it's those fancy Starbucks kind then it's only two less cups a month.

None issue.

Get Lightroom CC.

harryh813
Joined Mar 2017
Tampa, Florida, U.S.
Jun 08, 2017 09:42 as a reply to TreeburnerCT's post |  #1107

I'll have to check out Adobe Lightroom and see how I like it and what I can do with it. Thanks for the advice.

"Lovely photo, you must have a really good camera"

Terrycanon
Joined Mar 2016
Lancashire, UK
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Terrycanon.
Jun 08, 2017 12:21 |  #1108

I, too, didn't fancy paying a monthly fee, but I eventually paid the yearly price for the Lightroom, Adobe Bridge and Photoshop CC package, and forgot about the cash (until next year!). Because of our lousy UK exchange rate (Brexit, etc), the price has since gone up, but I don't regret it at all. Quite the opposite - it is money well spent. Here is an example of what Lightroom can do. Here are the original RAW and post-Lightroom versions of the bee photo I posted above. Lightroom is not that easy to learn, though. There are still aspects that I have a problem with. I'd recommend Scott Kelby's Lightroom book.

HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

See my pictures on Flickr: tezzerh

harryh813
Joined Mar 2017
Tampa, Florida, U.S.
Jun 08, 2017 12:33 |  #1109

Terrycanon wrote in post #18373965 (external link)
I, too, didn't fancy paying a monthly fee, but I eventually paid the yearly price for the Lightroom, Adobe Bridge and Photoshop CC package, and forgot about the cash (until next year!). Because of our lousy UK exchange rate (Brexit, etc), the price has since gone up, but I don't regret it at all. Quite the opposite - it is money well spent. Here is an example of what Lightroom can do. Here are the original RAW and post-Lightroom versions of the bee photo I posted above. Lightroom is not that easy to learn, though. There are still aspects that I have a problem with. I'd recommend Scott Kelby's Lightroom book.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Terrycanon in
./showthread.php?p=183​73965&i=i208216859
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Terrycanon in
./showthread.php?p=183​73965&i=i113639694

I have got to learn how to do that. I'll look for Scott Kelby's Lightroom book. I'm going to download the trials tonight and check them out and then probably will buy a year of the photos package which includes Lightroom and Photoshop CC.

"Lovely photo, you must have a really good camera"

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
Jun 08, 2017 16:23 |  #1110

DogDaze wrote in post #18373293 (external link)
Europe seems to have MUCH cooler trains than we do in the US at least here in Houston.

Another vote for LR cc. I cant see using anything else to process RAW. Once you get comfortable using it, can't be beat!

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

sponsored links

500,159 views & 5118 likes for this thread
-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.