Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 15 May 2017 (Monday) 07:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Event coming up - looking for lens advice

griesmonkey
Joined Jan 2013
Columbus, OH
May 15, 2017 07:39 |  #1

I offloaded a few lenses in search of a 2 lens set for a wedding coming up. I can't afford AF issues so I'm selling my Sigma 18-35 ART lens. I am shooting with a 7D Mark II only. I may eventually get the 6D MII but that discussion for another day. I'm thinking of just grabbing the Canon 17-55 IS and another prime. There really aren't any good budget 50mm 1.4 options out there. So i'm wondering do I go 35mm or 85mm right out of the gate.

I'm open to suggestions but basically looking at a short zoon and a single prime to do the wedding. I've already been using the Sigma 50-150 OS (Which i love, especially for indoor sports). Money is an issue, so keep that in mind. I've used the Sigma 17-50 OS is the past but I was just 'ok' with the results.

Canon 7D Mark II - Sigma 50-150 OS - Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 - Canon 10-18mm

sponsored links
ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
May 15, 2017 16:04 |  #2

Hopefully this will be a smallish wedding, without long distances to try and shoot.

Suggestions on a budget:

50mm f1.8 stm

24mm f2.8 stm Pancake

85mm f1.8

Above should all focus decent in low light for you and are budget lenses.

For zooms, it is hard to beat the 24-105 f4 L for all purpose where light is at least decent, needs to be stopped down a smidge for best sharpness. 24-70 f2.8 is also good, but can have copy variation due to excessive wear for version 1.

I've heard good things about the EF-s 10-22mm lens

Just some suggestions to look at. Having a macro lens is handy, the 100mm non L macro may also fit your budget and work instead of the 85mm.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

griesmonkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2013
Columbus, OH
Post has been edited 7 months ago by griesmonkey.
May 15, 2017 19:17 |  #3

I've never really been happy with the 50 1.8 stm. It leaves uninspriring pictures. Bleh photos. Trying to think of scenarios where I would use the 24mm? Group shots? Would that be too narrow on a crop?

Have to remember I'm on a crop sensor.

If I have a flash, would a low light prime be necessary? I do like some shallow DOF.

I've been debating the 17-55 IS or the 24-70 Tamron VC.

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
May 16, 2017 13:53 |  #4

The fifty does it's best on ff, that is true, has to be at 1.8 and close on a crop for it to be more fun.

24mm can be too narrow on a crop, but I just go ahead and stitch together then... so the answer is it depends.
I don't have experience with the 17-55. I have used the 24-70 Tamron, it is a decent, solid lens.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
May 17, 2017 12:09 |  #5

"Money is an issue" Simple rent what you need. Don't be trying to buy what you want *LOL*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

griesmonkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2013
Columbus, OH
May 17, 2017 12:30 as a reply to scorpio_e's post |  #6

That is a good point. I do want a small zoom for the camera and an 85mm 1.4 Lens. I used the 85mm 1.8 for portraits until I sold it. Liked that lens. Felt a little long at times though, even outdoors. I'd love a 50mm 1.2 but Geeze...$$$. Sigma Art has me down for AF and speed. So... Nuts.

InnerSong
215 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Left Coast
Jun 08, 2017 15:09 |  #7

this is gonna sound crazy probably, but here it goes. the 40mm pancake is my favorite lens.

and I have the 24L, 35L, 50 sigma art [my 2nd favorite lens] and 100L macro

yet the $150 pancake is my fav cause:
its sharp, macro, runs cool, has a soft natural vignette and handles shooting into the sun very well.. its 40mm and on a full frame its just perfect

http://yourinnersong.c​omexternal link:: INNERSONG ::external link

sponsored links

3,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
Event coming up - looking for lens advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.