Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 May 2017 (Monday) 03:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5d iv freezes

artsf
Joined Sep 2015
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by artsf. 4 edits done in total.
May 29, 2017 03:23 |  #1

I've had my 5div for a few weeks and it froze on me two times. The first time it happened on a second day of ownership which I attributed to using a spare EP-6 battery instead of EP-6N. The second time it happened yesterday with the proper EP-6N.

As I take pictures using VF and Live View, constantly switching between the two mode. I've had the camera not responding to LV button. Nor could I take any picture, pressing the shutter button does nothing. Black lcd screen, top screen is fine though. Turning the camera on/off does not help. The only remedy is to remove and reinstall the battery. I have never seen anything like that on any Canon camera so I got concerned. Any thoughts on what might be happening?

I'll give CPS a call but not sure I can easily reproduce this phenomenon, it only happened second time after a few weeks....

sponsored links
Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
May 31, 2017 12:13 |  #2

I had this on my 600D. Only pulling battery worked. I thought it wasn't worth a repair. On mine, video mode wouldn't work, had to turn LCD off completely and leave in standby as it froze as soon as LCD went to standby. That way it worked. Then after about 6 weeks it cleared. I was doing a wedding and it worked as normal. Only noticed this towards end of the shoot, so tried video and guess what? It worked. No problem since. Hope you find out the cause as I'm keen to know.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

artsf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2015
Post has been edited 4 months ago by artsf.
May 31, 2017 14:18 as a reply to Colin Glover's post |  #3

since it is still within the return window, I am exchanging it. If the replacement develops the same issue then at least I know that it's not my camera that's defective and live with it.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,913 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
May 31, 2017 19:53 |  #4

No grip correct?

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

artsf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2015
May 31, 2017 21:27 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #5

no grip

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Jun 01, 2017 12:19 |  #6

No grip was on mine either.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,490 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Ohio
Jun 09, 2017 12:47 |  #7

I have a Canon 5dIII and a 1DsII that will do this periodically. It happens very infrequently (just like your experience, I may go a weeks or even months without it happening). I was never bothered by it enough to seek out a fix. I just pull the battery for a moment and I'm good to go. I always assumed it was a software hiccup...kind of like when a computer freezes up and it needs a reboot.

Jason
www.secondglimpse.comexternal link

artsf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2015
Jun 09, 2017 17:25 |  #8

jra wrote in post #18374668 (external link)
I have a Canon 5dIII and a 1DsII that will do this periodically. It happens very infrequently (just like your experience, I may go a weeks or even months without it happening). I was never bothered by it enough to seek out a fix. I just pull the battery for a moment and I'm good to go. I always assumed it was a software hiccup...kind of like when a computer freezes up and it needs a reboot.

I've never experienced this with any other camera so I am waiting for the replacement. If it happens again, then at least I'll have a piece of mind that it's not atypical for 5div to freeze periodically and my unit is not defective.

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jun 09, 2017 19:17 |  #9

This happened on my 7D2 once doing exactly the same thing with Live View. Same issue with power button not doing anything and mirror stayed locked up, but pulling battery worked and it has not happened again since.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

artsf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2015
Jun 09, 2017 23:13 |  #10

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18374897 (external link)
This happened on my 7D2 once doing exactly the same thing with Live View. Same issue with power button not doing anything and mirror stayed locked up, but pulling battery worked and it has not happened again since.

-Joe

Interestingly, it seems to be happening in live view only.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Jun 12, 2017 09:12 as a reply to artsf's post |  #11

Or When it goes to sleep. I'm sure there's something to do with the lcd screen being on and going off of it's own account. I noticed that if I turned the LCD off it would happily go into sleep mode and reawaken on demand. Anyone else had this?

artsf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2015
Jul 01, 2017 16:06 |  #12

FYI, I've been shooting heavily with the replacement 5div over the past three weeks and no more freezing. It is safe to say that it's a manufacturing defect and google search shows that it may be difficult to repair by Canon, could be digic related malfunction.

Anyway, I am glad I did not go with the gray market model on this one.

dexy101
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Scotland
Jul 03, 2017 09:08 |  #13

I had the same thing happen recently on my 1DXII phoned canon and they had never heard of this issue, seems fine now, it was the first day it was out in hot weather all day switching between modes though.

Flickr (external link)
Gear List
1DX Mark II - 5D Mark IV - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II - 100mm f/2.8L 135L - 17-40L 50mm 1.8 stm 35mm 1.4 Sigma Art

sponsored links

3,048 views & 1 like for this thread
5d iv freezes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.