Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras
Thread started 14 Apr 2016 (Thursday) 08:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

External flash for Panasonic

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by HoosierJoe. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 14, 2016 08:43 |  #1

In case you are looking as I am. B&H lets you narrow down Pan/Oly compatible units. I am looking for compact, so there are a few choices to be sure. Also need to bounce and have some amount of swivel. Under $100 would be nice also.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...22+4062787798&srtcl​k=sort (external link)

Ain't nothin but a thing.

PipesInTune
187 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Scranton, PA
Oct 11, 2016 08:17 |  #2

Sorry if my post is a bit late to the party, but if you absolutely need TTL, then I'd look at the Nissin flashes.

I personally use manual flash (even for weddings) and let me tell you, once you do it for a while, it becomes second nature.

Sounds goofy to have the latest camera technology in mirrorless and shoot with a manual flash, but it is easier to me than when I shot TTL on Canon with a 580ex flash.

Exposures are more predictable, and I can usually get a proper exposure pretty easily.

It also makes it much easier to use multiple flashes. Typically for weddings, I use an off-camera room or accent light, and my on-camera flash as more of a fill.

I shoot with an older Sunpak 383, and a 120J, but the Yongnuos are looking pretty good, and cheap, too.

The nice thing about the Sunpak is the slider which allows for you to change the settings to 1/2, 1/4/ 1/8, etc. VERY quickly.

Hope that helps you out.

inkista
486 posts
Joined Oct 2007
San Diego, CA, USA
Jun 13, 2017 16:13 |  #3

Even later to the party. :) But Godox has released theTT350-O (external link). M/TTL/MULTI modes, HSS, 2nd-curtain. 270º swivel/90º tilt. Auto/Manual Zoom (24-105; diffuser panel 14). S1/S2 optical slave modes. Transceiver for the Godox X/Flashpoint R2 RF system. Comes with a case, stand, and tupperware cap. Early reports are that it will fire, power control, and do HSS with Godox's lights; but remote TTL will require a firmware update on the light. Surprisingly powerful for a 2xAA battery-powered flash. And the size/weight are perfect for a mirrorless body. It's tiny.

I bought the Adorama Flashpoint R2 Mini version (external link) of the TT350-O for my GX-7 and it works great. My only complaints as a Canon/Yongnuo owner are that it uses a screwlock rather than a lever, it only has 270º swivel, there's no recycle beep, and no sync port. And the way the flash communicates with the camera menu's a little weird, but it's identical to how it behaves with my Olympus FL-50, so can't really complain. Whatever I set on the flash works, and the TTL seems very accurate, both direct and bounced.

Adorama's priced it (currently) at US$85, which makes it cheaper than the i40/i60A. It is, however, less powerful. But it also folds flat, like a traditional speedlight.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

1,443 views & 0 likes for this thread
External flash for Panasonic
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.