Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 13 Jun 2017 (Tuesday) 14:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

EOS 760D

PDpics
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jun 2017
Doncaster
Jun 13, 2017 14:13 |  #1

just done my first shoot with my new 760D files look bad in canon software, and wont open in elements 10 are there any suggestions, also any uk 760d users near doncaster

sponsored links
3Rotor
759 posts
Joined May 2009
Oklahoma
Post has been edited 6 months ago by 3Rotor.
Jun 13, 2017 14:25 |  #2

Could you give us more information to work with?

What do you mean by "bad"?
JPEG/RAW?
Lighting conditions?
Subject matter?

JESSEMAK.COM (external link)

PDpics
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jun 2017
Doncaster
Jun 13, 2017 14:33 as a reply to 3Rotor's post |  #3

sorry, also new to using forums, I'm shooting in raw, I'm using the bundled software that came with the camera, digital photo professional 4, is the utility that opens after downloading my files, when I click a thumbnail to view photo, and then enlarge to see more detail, the file then looks slightly out of focus and beginning to lose clarity

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,342 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Jun 13, 2017 14:34 |  #4

I'm assuming that they are raw files. Make sure your camera raw (external link) is updated to at least 9.0. But as mentioned above, way more info is needed.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,500 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Ohio
Jun 13, 2017 15:17 |  #5

Some examples would be helpful in helping us help you :)

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Post has been edited 6 months ago by TreeburnerCT.
Jun 13, 2017 20:36 |  #6

I have a 760D, aka T6s, and found the same thing the first time I looked at a RAW file in Canon's software. You have to remember that RAW files have had zero processing when you first load them, but once you apply the camera and lens profiles, adjust exposure as necessary (boosting shadows for example), and add some sharpening you should see the benefit versus SOOC jpegs. I would suggest using Adobe Lightroom and practicing your post processing before worrying about a problem with the camera. Are you getting good JPGs? Examples of your issue would definitely help identify the exact issue.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,342 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Jun 13, 2017 21:21 |  #7

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18377889 (external link)
I have a 760D, aka T6s, and found the same thing the first time I looked at a RAW file in Canon's software. You have to remember that RAW files have had zero processing when you first load them, but once you apply the camera and lens profiles, adjust exposure as necessary (boosting shadows for example), and add some sharpening you should see the benefit versus SOOC jpegs. I would suggest using Adobe Lightroom and practicing your post processing before worrying about a problem with the camera. Are you getting good JPGs? Examples of your issue would definitely help identify the exact issue.

-Joe

That's not exactly true. Canon's DPP uses all of the in camera settings including picture style. They are all changeable but the camera settings are used as defaults. Adobe's PC uses some of the settings but many settings use program defaults. The one that pops into my head is noise reduction. ARC uses the default you set up.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jun 14, 2017 12:28 |  #8

You won't be able to open 760 RAW files in PSE10 directly. When Canon, or any other manufacturer for that matter, release a new camera body they have to update the RAW format to match the characteristics of the new camera, even though the file extension remains the same. This means that RAW processing software needs updating for each new camera body too. Adobe only provide updates for the version of ACR shipping with the current version of Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements. Since you have PSE 10 it will not be possible to update it's version of ACR to support the 760D.

All is not lost though, as Adobe provide a free program called DNG Converter. This essentially wraps a Canon CR2 RAW file into an Adobe DNG RAW file. By doing this conversion to DNG it is possible to open the resulting DNG file in any version of PS. It is important to ensure that you pick the right DNG version to match your version of ACR.

Although the DNG file is still RAW data, I strongly urge that you also keep and archive the original CR2 file from the camera.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

1,378 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS 760D
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.