Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 14 Jun 2017 (Wednesday) 06:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lots of 'Image failed to load'

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Jun 14, 2017 06:42 |  #1

I'm getting a lot of this message the past two days. Is it just me? Also when scrolling, the page will scroll way past the end of the page.....that is, into just sort of white oblivion.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,315 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jun 14, 2017 09:30 |  #2

I got more IMAGE FAILED TO LOADs than usual during the last few hours of yesterday. It even happened for an image I had just posted that had nothing wrong with it (not too large or anything). Reloading the page was the fix. The white space at the bottom–that happens once in a while routinely.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

PhotosGuy
74,884 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jun 14, 2017 09:34 |  #3

I've seen that, too. Usually just reloading the page will display a image that failed the first time. But not always.
Strange because I can click on the "Failed to load" icon & a new Tab opens with the image.

Here, only #5 displayed the first time: http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​482218

Reloading brought up 1-3 + 1/2 of #4. 6-8 didn't display, ever.
I don't have a clue why this is, but since we both see the same thing, I'd suspect a server problem?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,315 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Jun 14, 2017 09:45 |  #4

Screenshot just now. This is what came up for Post Your Best Flower Shots, arriving from the link in New Posts.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

PhotosGuy
74,884 posts
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jun 14, 2017 10:44 |  #5

Strange, isn't it? I've put a request in the Mod Forum to see if anyone remembers the subject being discussed. Might take a while! ; )

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,245 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Pekka.
Jun 14, 2017 10:58 |  #6

saea501 wrote in post #18378109 (external link)
I'm getting a lot of this message the past two days. Is it just me? Also when scrolling, the page will scroll way past the end of the page.....that is, into just sort of white oblivion.

Some info about the error:

- the message is PERSONAL and unique to your internet browser. The browser reports that the image URL could not be contacted for loading the image "to your browser from the image site", so the error message is replaced with informative message.

- Reloading the page is the only way to make sure if the image really is there.

- if the image does not show even after couple of page reloads, then it may be really inaccessible at the moment, i.e. for some reason not served by that gallery service.

I have revised that "broken image check" code in many ways in the upcoming version of the forums, and it also retries the broken images to make sure there is no over-sensitivity bug in browser that communicates the broken image info (sometimes happens).

The white page in the end happens because the expected images did not load and some empty space was left because of that.

Also, please note that one reason for missing images may be a VPN service like Freedome which caches pages and sometimes does it with broken or missing content, seen that a few times.

All those issues should be gone in the next version, I'm working on finishing and will put it here as soon as it is complete.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

PhotosGuy
74,884 posts
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jun 14, 2017 12:20 |  #7

Thanks!
Regarding this:

Pekka wrote in post #18378244 (external link)
- if the image does not show even after couple of page reloads, then it may be really inaccessible at the moment, i.e. for some reason not served by that gallery service.

Click on the "Failed to load" icon & a new Tab may open with the image (FireFox).

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,315 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Sep 30, 2017 19:00 |  #8

Images hosted on "farm5.staticflickr" consistently failed to load for me a couple of days ago and are again failing to load.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,245 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Pekka.
Oct 02, 2017 14:30 |  #9

OhLook wrote in post #18463625 (external link)
Images hosted on "farm5.staticflickr" consistently failed to load for me a couple of days ago and are again failing to load.

I noticed a few days ago that sometimes farm5 does not hold all the image sizes that it should (all sizes in a gallery). This is something we can not control, and the problem may be regional, too. It is up to them to fix it. Better report it to Flickr.

Do you see for example this one?
http://photography-on-the.net ...632&mg=95750&i=i208​875358

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,315 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Oct 02, 2017 16:32 |  #10

Pekka wrote in post #18464700 (external link)
I noticed a few days ago that sometimes farm5 does not hold all the image sizes that it should (all sizes in a gallery). This is something we can not control, and the problem may be regional, too. It is up to them to fix it. Better report it to Flickr.

Do you see for example this one?
http://photography-on-the.net ...632&mg=95750&i=i208​875358

Yes. To confirm: three pictures of invi's brother, right? But the links in that post are like this: [IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Z4WR​Fx] (external link) without "farm5."

I'd rather leave the reporting to someone who has a Flickr account and, preferably, who posted images that didn't show as they were meant to.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,245 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Oct 03, 2017 13:49 |  #11

OhLook wrote in post #18464776 (external link)
Yes. To confirm: three pictures of invi's brother, right? But the links in that post are like this: [IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Z4WR​Fx] (external link) without "farm5."

You'll get address of the embedded image when you click the glasses icon for the lightbox - there you'll see the address under the image. The shortened URL you referred is a link to the gallery page.

I'd rather leave the reporting to someone who has a Flickr account and, preferably, who posted images that didn't show as they were meant to.

I think they'll know the problem already. It is not an instant job to update a server farm with billions of images.

sponsored links

1,053 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lots of 'Image failed to load'
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.