Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 27 Feb 2006 (Monday) 17:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Show us your Macro Rig

txphotographer
57 posts
Joined Dec 2016
Houston, TX USA
Dec 15, 2016 15:47 |  #1096

Hello, just joined. this is the latest iteration of my macro rig. I'm constantly updating, changing & experimenting with it.
Sony A77ii with Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro, usually with Sigma 1.4X TC. Neewer NW880S flash with 6 X 9 inch diffuser on DIY bracket
Oben MFr4-5 focusing rail, Nest gimbal and Giottos tripod.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Rick

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Dec 15, 2016 16:22 |  #1097

txphotographer wrote in post #18214082 (external link)
Hello, just joined. this is the latest iteration of my macro rig. I'm constantly updating, changing & experimenting with it.
Sony A77ii with Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro, usually with Sigma 1.4X TC. Neewer NW880S flash with 6 X 9 inch diffuser on DIY bracket
Oben MFr4-5 focusing rail, Nest gimbal and Giottos tripod.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by txphotographer in
./showthread.php?p=182​14082&i=i160755269
forum: Macro Talk

Hi, Tx. Welcome to POTN.

That looks like a serious rig. I gotta ask - what are your subjects? You are on a tripod with a rail, and that suggests probably not active insects.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

txphotographer
57 posts
Joined Dec 2016
Houston, TX USA
Dec 15, 2016 18:06 as a reply to Archibald's post |  #1098

Actually, I do a lot of insects and some flowers, etc. I'm to unstable to hand hold so I shoot everything on a tripod.
I use the rail to fine tune focus (when I have time :-) ) and for doing focus stacks of stationary subjects.
I'll post some of my shots soon, just finding my way around the site.

Rick

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Dec 15, 2016 22:17 |  #1099

txphotographer wrote in post #18214207 (external link)
Actually, I do a lot of insects and some flowers, etc. I'm to unstable to hand hold so I shoot everything on a tripod.
I use the rail to fine tune focus (when I have time :-) ) and for doing focus stacks of stationary subjects.
I'll post some of my shots soon, just finding my way around the site.

OK, cool. Your rig is a bit unusual with the support, and also in the long focal length(s), so it would be good to see some samples and the reasoning behind the method. Macro is a technical discipline and we all want to learn.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

txphotographer
57 posts
Joined Dec 2016
Houston, TX USA
Dec 16, 2016 10:32 as a reply to Archibald's post |  #1100

I am relatively new to macro but not photography in general.
I started doing macro this past summer.
I started shooting mainly dragonflies and damselflies and found that the long focal lengths allowed me to fill the frame without too much risk of spooking the insects.
I added the 1.4 TC to get even more working distance. I experimented with lighting until I got something I was happy with.
I posted a couple of recent shots in the macro section yesterday and will be doing more.
My reasoning, if you can call it that, mostly involves my physical limitations. I'm 74 years old and have 'health issues'.
Some of the meds I'm on cause me to be shaky and cause blurred vision.
Since I have to get close to insects, etc. to photograph them my vision problems are not as much of an issue.
I'm more likely to be learning from the group here than 'teaching' given my limited experience with macro.

Rick

winnibago
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Mission,B.C.CA
Jan 11, 2017 13:09 |  #1101

Hi people, I don't post very often. Here's my latest set up. Inspiration from this forum. Canon M3 & EFS 60mm macro lens. 270EX2 fired by 90EX. Photo with G1X

HOSTED PHOTO

EOS M3, G1X, G12, TC-DC58C, 500D, Raynox DCR-7900ZD, DCR 250,
Marumi DHC 200, 430EX2, 270EX2, 90EX, Manfrotto 055, monopod, EFM 11-22, EFM 55-200, EFM 22, EFM 18-55, EFM adapter, extension tubes, EVF-DC1,EFM 28mm,EFS 60mm

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jan 11, 2017 13:45 as a reply to winnibago's post |  #1102

Interesting. Do you have photo examples?

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

JasonC007
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Jun 14, 2017 12:51 |  #1103

My current handheld setup with MP-E65.

All parts are 3d printed including the flash mounts which are similar to kaiser mounts.

The diffuser body has been designed so that different attachments can be easily added/removed using magnets. The diffusion face you see here is also 3d printed and has a graduated thickness to spread the light more evenly, rather than making a thick face to diffuse the light, doing it this way eliminates the hot spot and allows more light through on the edges. This also means you can use a reduced flash level and the modelling lights work pretty well.

The angle of the face has also been designed so that light does not bleed back into the lens which can be a problem with the MP-E65 because of how close the subject has to be to the front of the lens.

Additional attachments can be placed over the diffuser using the magnetic system, such as the oval shaped ones shown below which provide an oval shaped reflection in the subject. I also have diffuser extensions to provide even more light when needed and which are reversible so you can add more light underneath or from above.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 80D | 24-105L | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | MP-E65 f/2.8 1-5x Macro | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 10mm Fisheye | EF 24mm f/2.8 Pancake | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT |
Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jun 14, 2017 13:40 |  #1104

JasonC007 wrote in post #18378347 (external link)
My current handheld setup with MP-E65.

All parts are 3d printed including the flash mounts which are similar to kaiser mounts.

The diffuser body has been designed so that different attachments can be easily added/removed using magnets. The diffusion face you see here is also 3d printed and has a graduated thickness to spread the light more evenly, rather than making a thick face to diffuse the light, doing it this way eliminates the hot spot and allows more light through on the edges. This also means you can use a reduced flash level and the modelling lights work pretty well.

The angle of the face has also been designed so that light does not bleed back into the lens which can be a problem with the MP-E65 because of how close the subject has to be to the front of the lens.

Additional attachments can be placed over the diffuser using the magnetic system, such as the oval shaped ones shown below which provide an oval shaped reflection in the subject. I also have diffuser extensions to provide even more light when needed and which are reversible so you can add more light underneath or from above.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by JasonC007 in
./showthread.php?p=183​78347&i=i92531241
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by JasonC007 in
./showthread.php?p=183​78347&i=i120900732

A very cool design.

BTW, there is a lens hood for the MPE-65 to reduce flare. I have a Chinese knock-off and it works great. Maybe you could just print one.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

JasonC007
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Jun 15, 2017 04:59 |  #1105

Archibald wrote in post #18378400 (external link)
A very cool design.

BTW, there is a lens hood for the MPE-65 to reduce flare. I have a Chinese knock-off and it works great. Maybe you could just print one.

Thanks.

Yes I know about the lens hood and did consider it a while back, but after designing the diffusers like I did there was no need for one so I never pursued them any further!

Canon 80D | 24-105L | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | MP-E65 f/2.8 1-5x Macro | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 10mm Fisheye | EF 24mm f/2.8 Pancake | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT |
Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

sponsored links

954,865 views & 29 likes for this thread
Show us your Macro Rig
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.