Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk
Thread started 12 Jun 2017 (Monday) 06:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Aircraft.

fordmondeo
Joined Sep 2007
Portsmouth England
Post has been edited 6 months ago by fordmondeo.
Jun 12, 2017 06:53 |  #1

Hello.

I bought a 1Dx mk2 yesterday.
Tomorrow I'm going to the mach loop to try and photograph military aircraft training through the Welsh valleys.

I do not have the funds this month to get the 600mm f4 so I'm packing my 100-400 plus 1.4 mk3 converter.

I have had so little time to practice with the camera I could use some advice on the following.

Number of af points/zone to use?
Focus limiter on or off?
Drive mode?
AI servo/single shot/other?
Max acceptable iso setting?
Stabilizer mode?
AF case 1,2,3...............?
Tweaks to the AF case?

I am hoping to be above or level with the aircraft.
The weather will most likely be bright with patchy cloud.
My huge thanks in advance.

Vaginator9000

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,862 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jun 12, 2017 08:15 |  #2

I can't answer 1Dx mk2 questions, but you might try this Forum with a lot of mach Loop info: http://www.fox2.co.uk/ (external link)

Other links are in post #25: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=771418

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,012 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jun 13, 2017 19:09 |  #3

Number of af points/zone to use? - All points - put point on aircraft and let AF track it as it moves around in frame
Focus limiter on or off? - 3m +
Drive mode? - high speed continuous
AI servo/single shot/other? - AI servo
Max acceptable iso setting? - as high as it takes to get the shutter speed you need
Stabilizer mode? - mode 2

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jun 15, 2017 14:58 |  #4

If you have jets coming though then I would use whatever ISO you need to get to 1/2000s at f/8. For the prop driven types like the C130's and helicopters then ISO 100, and you might even want Lo, although I think I would rather have a 2 or 3 stop ND filter. Since I would be looking for at most 1/160s for the props, and 1/100 for helicopters. AI Servo, fast burst, since you only get one pass. Focus limiter on. I would also have AF drive off if focus not possible. That way if you lose the aircraft for a moment, and the AF can't find anything to focus on it doesn't rack the focus in and out. That is actually more important if the aircraft is against the sky. I've not used a modern high AF point count body, but I would also have it setup so that it didn't try to jump quickly if something passes in front of the subject.

I really would like to get over to the loop, but I don't think my power wheelchair would make it up the hill, and I don't foresee any volunteers to drag me up in my manual chair.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Jun 16, 2017 09:47 |  #5

BigAl007 wrote in post #18379220 (external link)
I would also have AF drive off if focus not possible. That way if you lose the aircraft for a moment, and the AF can't find anything to focus on it doesn't rack the focus in and out. That is actually more important if the aircraft is against the sky.

This is some thing I have not given any thought to. But it makes sense. If the focus racks in & out it will be harder to re-establish focus once the focus point is back on the subject. Thanks for sharing.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jun 16, 2017 18:19 as a reply to Perfectly Frank's post |  #6

Usually if the focus racks I have to give up the pass. Even my old Sigma 28-300 would defocus enough that once it was doing the rack drive it was effectively impossible to reacquire the aircraft, since the blur would become too big to see/track. I usually stop the pan, and then just point the camera in the general direction of the horizon until the focus was in a useful location for beginning the next pass.

With my Sigma 150-600 C, with it's programmable focus limiter I am considering setting that up for 250m to infinity, which should also help a lot with this issue.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

2,623 views & 2 likes for this thread
Aircraft.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.