Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 17 Jun 2017 (Saturday) 06:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Help With Setting Focus Point on 5D3

rollsman
Joined Oct 2005
Jun 17, 2017 06:21 |  #1

Just purchased the 5D3 and somewhat confusing on how to set the focus point. I mainly use a Center single Focus Point. Can someone explain How I can set this . Thank you

sponsored links
TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jun 17, 2017 08:45 |  #2

On my 7D2 I hit the AF selection button (looks like a dotted "T") until all the individual AF points show up, then use the AF joystick to move the individual point to the one I want. If you don't see all the individual AF points when you choose from the AF types you could have to activate it in the AF menu to make sure it's one of the options given when you hit the AF selection button.

I know the 7D2 is a different camera, but I hope this is helpful.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,048 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Jun 17, 2017 08:58 |  #3

This should help. From the 5D3 manual:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,611 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Jun 18, 2017 04:12 |  #4

rollsman wrote in post #18380423 (external link)
Just purchased the 5D3 and somewhat confusing on how to set the focus point. I mainly use a Center single Focus Point. Can someone explain How I can set this . Thank you

Once you get that under control I'd recommend reading Canon's AF guidebook for the 5D Mark III (external link). Always using only the center point is a waste with that camera.

Anders

rollsman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2005
Jun 18, 2017 21:54 as a reply to apersson850's post |  #5

Thank you for your help. Can you tell me why the center point is a waste of time ? Not sure why
ThaNK YOU

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,049 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jun 18, 2017 23:03 |  #6

rollsman wrote in post #18381590 (external link)
Thank you for your help. Can you tell me why the center point is a waste of time ? Not sure why
ThaNK YOU

Not a 'waste of time', but a waste of the camera's powerful AF point selection capability which extends far beyond only using the center AF point.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Jun 19, 2017 00:11 |  #7

I'd suggest going to the Q menu and turning on the Direct AF Point Selection option, so there's no longer a need to press the AF selection button before using the joystick to select your AF point. It's much quicker and easier IMO. It also lets you quickly get back to the center point just by "clicking" the joystick.

I second reading the 5D3 AF Settings Guidebook mentioned above. I don't know what you shoot, but it'd be a shame to have the high-end AF system like that of the 5D3 and be unaware of/unable to leverage its strengths while shooting. As a matter of fact, the AF system is one of the main reasons I bought my 5D3. It's a quite capable camera for shooting just about anything you can think of.

GEAR LIST

davesrose
Goldmember
2,785 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Jun 19, 2017 10:13 |  #8

Lyndön wrote in post #18381664 (external link)
I'd suggest going to the Q menu and turning on the Direct AF Point Selection option, so there's no longer a need to press the AF selection button before using the joystick to select your AF point. It's much quicker and easier IMO. It also lets you quickly get back to the center point just by "clicking" the joystick.

Just to clarify, the Direct AF Point Selection is under Custom Controls/Multi-controller. It's accessible through the Q menu or C.Fn2 in the menu options. I also have that enabled. If you're camera has been inactive, you still need to activate it (like half pressing the shutter button, then start using the joystick/"multi-controller"). Another good tip is that you can quickly change focus modes by pressing the M-Fn button while the AF points are active. I'll use single point AF if I need tight control of what I want to focus on. I'll use Zone AF if I have a general area I want to focus on (and the camera decides what exact point is closest). I'll also use full AF selection when I'm in AI servo mode: it's pretty advanced and customizable....you can also set the initial area the camera will first start tracking by moving it's single point before you start focusing. I've also always got the camera set to BBF. I've got so many costumizations, I'll set the camera to auto if someone else wants to take a photo of me with it! The superior AF of the 5D3 was one of the reasons I upgraded to it from a 5Dc. Enjoy yours.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

1,360 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help With Setting Focus Point on 5D3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.