Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 16 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Clothing During the Hot Summer Months

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Post has been edited 4 months ago by welshwizard1971.
Jun 17, 2017 11:08 as a reply to post 18380436 |  #16

We even wear gloves that cover the back of the hands the exposure is that bad, mate of mine sticks his tongue out when he's concentrating, always comes back with a sun burned tongue ߘ "catch anything Bob"? "ung un ungggg!"...

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Jun 17, 2017 11:20 |  #17

Wide brimmed hat is essential, baseball caps are useless in rain, and useless in the sun, unless you're looking directly into it and want sunbuned ears...

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Jun 17, 2017 13:41 |  #18

Choderboy wrote in post #18380397 (external link)
Resist the temptation of ice cold drink and instead have water closer to body temperature.

What, no ice cold beer during an air show? ;-)a

On second thought, maybe that's why I end up with so many blurry images. :lol:

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by wallstreetoneil. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 17, 2017 13:52 |  #19

www.tilley.com (external link)

i have 3 of their hats - guaranteed for life

a couple goto shirts and pants as well

could not possibly recommend them more highly

i'm scottish by birth, have a red headed daughter and a son with almost translucent skin - so hiding from the sun is something i'm an expert at

i like shirts with collars to protect the back of my neck

i hate sunscreen as it makes me overheat so I basically try and avoid it and just cover myself - the exception is I buy the most expensive sunscreen (go to a lady's spa where Asian women go - this is where they sell the really really high-end stuff that doesn't makes you shiny and greasy - most asian women with money will pay anything to avoid getting sun on their faces) - i use this sunscreen on the parts of my face and neck that get reflected sunlight

i wish i didn't have to do any of this but when you are born without enough pigment for the place I am currently living, and you are a carrier of the red hair gene, and help produce redhair children, there is literally no choice

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Post has been edited 4 months ago by AZGeorge.
Jun 17, 2017 14:11 |  #20

A good clothing choice can be helpful.

Water is essential. Water, more water and maybe even an electrolyte.

In our hot and dry climate it's easy to think you aren't losing all that much water and it's not as hot as the thermometer claims. What's really happening is that we staying cool because the massive amounts of water we are losing provides evaporative cooling.

Water!

(And in hot, dry climates lukewarm water helps cooling more than cold water. Cold water encourages your body to temporarily decrease sweat and thus reduce evaporative cooling. In humid areas cold water seems to create no problems since perspiration evaporates more slowly.)

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Jun 17, 2017 14:44 |  #21

I wear shirts and shorts/pants from DuluthTrading. I've been buying their stuff for years now. It's been kind of fun to watch them start advertising on TV... at least, around here they do.

http://www.duluthtradi​ng.com/ (external link)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by kf095. 3 edits done in total.
Jun 17, 2017 16:30 |  #22

White reflects, black absorbs. Everything else is in the middle.
I can't wear white. Within five minutes I'll get bird poop on it or food. Under terrible South Ontario Sun and Ontario Lake humid dump I wear something long to cover legs, hands and neck and it has to be light and not tight on me. Jeans works with classic shirt. Bright hat, not baseball one, but one which protects from sun all way around. No sun screen, it is for sissies. And it is gross.
Where are some fancy, expensive versions of classic jeans and shirt, which claims to do something. It is for sissies at golf course, IMO.
Clothes are not so important as long as you not playing MiB. For 100F you have to be physically fit. Like tobacco field worker. Or you have to be one of those who asks to seat outside for eating during stinky summer days. :-D

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jun 17, 2017 18:30 |  #23

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18380641 (external link)
What, no ice cold beer during an air show? ;-)a

On second thought, maybe that's why I end up with so many blurry images. :lol:

I'd have thought you would be OK with your average American soda pop beer :p. I remember the first Mildenhall Airshow that I attended. EAch of the different sections on the station had BBQ's and beer tents, supplied from the PX. Coming from even our cheaper mass brand canned beer, I really had to wonder if it had not been watered down, it really was like soda pop. At the time Bud was not really big over here, but it did grow a bit in popularity. What I've noticed was that the brew for the UK market was much stronger than what is sold in the US.

As I understand it, you now have a whole micro brew thing going over in the US, so that you now have access to some real beer.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jun 17, 2017 20:09 |  #24

BigAl007 wrote in post #18380803 (external link)
As I understand it, you now have a whole micro brew thing going over in the US, so that you now have access to some real beer.

Some? Lol

The reason there has been so much consolidation in the world wide commodity beer industry is in large part due to what is going on with craft brewing in the US. The big guys are running scared are now even moving to buy up hop supplies to restrict the little guys from getting their hands on them.

The craft beer aisle is just as big as the crappy light beer aisle in most every grocery store. I have probably 20 decent sized breweries within an hour of my house. There is a place that specializes in Belgian brews 2 miles from my house.

It's crazy over here. The last 20 years have seen massive changes in the industry.

It's is indeed a wonderful time to be alive.  :p

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jun 18, 2017 16:00 |  #25

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18380864 (external link)
Some? Lol

The reason there has been so much consolidation in the world wide commodity beer industry is in large part due to what is going on with craft brewing in the US. The big guys are running scared are now even moving to buy up hop supplies to restrict the little guys from getting their hands on them.

The craft beer aisle is just as big as the crappy light beer aisle in most every grocery store. I have probably 20 decent sized breweries within an hour of my house. There is a place that specializes in Belgian brews 2 miles from my house.

It's crazy over here. The last 20 years have seen massive changes in the industry.

It's is indeed a wonderful time to be alive.  :p

My biggest regret in the last 15 or so years since I have been taking large doses of synthetic opioids, and now for the last three or four years full on Morphine is that it makes alcohol taste vile. So no beer, wine or spirits anymore. I used to love real ale and single malt scotch, now I can't even enjoy a glass of something nice for my birthday.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Jun 18, 2017 16:30 |  #26

This hits close to home. I'm a big time sweater, always have been. sometimes its so bad that clients ask me if I'm ok while shooting. I often take breaks to change shirts.
I keep the studio ICE COLD...

Last week, my wife ordered some Arctic Cool Athletic Tees in a variety of colors. They worked great! spent a few hours on the beach yesterday in the usual South Florida summer weather,
low 90's, humidity near 92% sunny with impending thunderstorms. I was dry, the shirt was completely and evenly damp to the touch, I didn't even feel warm.

Can't recommend them enough, ordering about 3 more.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

3Rotor
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined May 2009
Oklahoma
Jun 19, 2017 07:50 |  #27

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I've got a lot of clothing, hats and sunscreens to test before hitting it heavy. It got up to 102 this weekend, so it's going to be a hot one.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the info!
Jesse

JESSEMAK.COM (external link)

Orogeny
Joined Aug 2003
Houston, Texas
Jun 20, 2017 11:20 |  #28

3Rotor wrote in post #18379852 (external link)
The majority of my outdoors photography is airstrip racing in Texas. Those of you from the area know the heat I'm talking about. I've been out of it for a couple of years but I'm hoping to attend more events starting this year. The first one I went to this year was back in May, the next one is in October. I got burned pretty good and still have plenty of tan lines to show for it.

The Texas Mile in Victoria?

I'm looking for a lightweight, breathable long sleeve that I can wear 10 - 12 hours at a time without discomfort. I'm not huge a fan of sunscreen as I have not found a product that I like that does not leave a greasy film. Having to reapply throughout the day is troublesome at times.

Here is what I wear in the Houston area: http://www.academy.com ...151#repChildCatid=4​163422 (external link) . They come in different colors, but are relatively inexpensive (~$25) even when not on sale.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Clothing, sunscreens, anything to keep me cool and the UV rays out.

Thanks,
Jesse

Tim

There's someone in my head, and it's not me! - Roger Waters

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/orogeny/ (external link)

3Rotor
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined May 2009
Oklahoma
Jun 20, 2017 14:07 as a reply to Orogeny's post |  #29

Tim, I have yet to check out the mile event in Victoria. I would like to go soon. For now, mostly in Caddo Mills, near Dallas, for the Texas Invitational 1500 foot event.

JESSEMAK.COM (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2008
NorCal
Jun 20, 2017 14:55 |  #30

I got some what I call "hiking" shirts and pants from Sports Basement (any sports store sells those) and they are great. very loose fit and light, dry out immediately, not sure if it's micro fiber or some other modern fabric. They also offer strong sun protection SPF 50 and one is even treated with some insect repelling stuff that's supposed to last through plenty washes. We have few if any mosquitoes here, so I have not been able to confirm that claim.
I also have several 'hiking hats' with bring that are somewhat floppy and just move out of the way if I shoot vertically, I like the ones with a lot of mesh on top to allow for airflow.
I use spray suntan that's a clear spray (various brands) and not as slimy as lotion or the milky sprays. I think it's bullfrog that also makes a nice clear gel.

For car shows I have a set of black pants and shirt from the same fabric as I find it easier to hide a black shape (my reflection) than some bright color, but they are warmer to wear. But then, I usually avoid the car show if it's over 100 degree.

Cool off with a cold brew in the shade, but bring plenty water or gatorade etc.

If it's really hot, a wet towel around the neck is nice (or you can buy some head/neck bands that are filled with water absorbing material (silica gel or something like that), they stay wet longer. A water spray bottle can also be nice to have.

I used to be just shorts and t-shirt, but find these modern fabrics to be much better than cotton.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

sponsored links

2,745 views & 13 likes for this thread
Clothing During the Hot Summer Months
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.