Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 02 May 2017 (Tuesday) 16:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New kid on the block, Nitecore USB charger for Canon batteries

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 3 edits done in total.
May 06, 2017 16:23 |  #16

Mine arrived yesterday, and it came with some new Wasabi's I wanted to top off.

It's definitely a strange "mixed bag" of good and weird to use.

The LCD is great, with clear to read info. I had it attached to my powerful fast USB brick that comes with my Lenovo laptop,. (I suppose I should read the specs on that for info here.) The Charger handled that power no problem, and finished off the 1st Wasabi in about 1.5 hours.

I next decided to try installing one of the "very dead" batteries that my Meikie battery grip for the 5D4 positively killed off. Neither my Canon or Wasabi give me any info on these two dead batteries other than "it's dead Jim" and they will not charge them. (Canon offers fast blinking light for defective pack)

After 5 minutes, right now the "dead wont charge on other chargers" old Powerex is showing;
6.9 v / 488mA
25*c / 35 mAh

All numbers are climbing steadily (except temp) so it is taking a charge.

It is very nice to have an active read out and see what is going on. Again, with my Canon charger, this battery was simply no go, couldn't be charged.

The downside of this charger is 100% form factor. I love the small size,. but the only way to get power to it is via a weird rubber fold out usb cord that is only 3" long, with a 90 degree bend on the plug side that increases the difficulty of using the short "cord". With it hanging from the wall at knee level, there is no easy way to actually read any of the excellent LCD display.

There is no alternative but to use this cord, no jack built int to use a standard USB cable. This means that if you try to use this with a standard USB wall wart brick, there is no way to do so other than to leave it awkwardly hanging by the 3" rubber cord,. and hope that neither the USB brick, or the charger simply comes unplugged due to the dangling weight. Same if you are dangling it from the front panel of your PC tower.

If you want this up on a table, you will either have to provide and extension cord from the mains, or use a USB extension cord. USB extension cords (as opposed to normal USB cords) are not common items, most people don't have them, most places don't sell them. A USB jack built into the unit would have meant easy access to all the standard USB cords out there, but none exists on the unit. You must use an extension on the included 3" built in cord.

In the image, you can see that the mAh rating has gone up to 149 from 35 in the time it took me to write the last few paragraphs. After taking the image it's now up to 240.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Pros:
- Very compact!
- Will charge two types of battery. (I'm not clear on what the other battery type goes to)
- Clear easy to read LCD is a huge plus.
- Appears to be happy charging batteries that the Canon charger refuse to touch. (I may be scared to use this battery however!)
- USB powered means nearly universal, including car chargers etc.

Cons:
- Two types of battery and I don't use the other kind.
- Very awkward cord = no easy way to use this.
- No power supply included. Must provide your own USB brick etc..
- Regardless of small size, one must pack more stuff to use it, and even more to do so comfortably.

Note. Those of us with the AD360 and related Lithium 4500 battery can use the USB adapter to recharge camera batteries with the huge powerful 4500 battery packs.

Best Use? Include in a travel pack with your small laptop to provide charging.

Conclusion: Recommended. I would not use it as my primary charger, but in some cases the size, info, and USB power may be advantages over "normal" chargers.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
3,683 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
May 06, 2017 18:02 |  #17

Thanks for your observations. All things considered it does look quite useful - not perfect, but useful and cheap.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

mcoren
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
May 06, 2017 22:00 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #18

Hey CyberDyneSystems, thanks for that detailed review. And definitely us know if this charger succeeds in resurrecting your dead batteries.

Mike

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
May 07, 2017 11:42 |  #19

It brought one back to life,. in the 5D2 the battery is reading 100%!

The other one appears to "work" but won;t get past 68% or so charged according to the EOS cameras battery info. I have not really used them to see how long they actually last,. but it's a lot better than "fast blinking, won't charge, and does not read at all in camera"

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Jun 19, 2017 13:09 |  #20

I've been using one of these for about a month now. While I prefer the flip-out prongs of the Canon charger, I do like seeing the readout. Not like I need all that info, though.

A little awkward hanging from the wall, but it doesn't hurt anything (doesn't weight much)

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2881/34278444246_6cf0a12e01_c.jpg

ChibiM
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jan 2015
South Holland
Jun 19, 2017 13:14 |  #21

Did you replace the canon one? Or using them side by side? It would be nice if it also had a capacity checker. That would be very handy.

Eos M, 5DII, and some lenses.

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Jun 19, 2017 13:33 |  #22

I keep them both in my camera bag. But the Canon charger is just so much more convenient with no cables or ac adapter. I think the novelty will wear off soon and I'll only be using the Canon.

ChibiM
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jan 2015
South Holland
Jun 19, 2017 14:46 |  #23

Gotcha. It would had been nice being just a normal charger. Hopefully one will be coming out soon.

Eos M, 5DII, and some lenses.

sponsored links

9,580 views & 7 likes for this thread
New kid on the block, Nitecore USB charger for Canon batteries
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.