Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 20 Jun 2017 (Tuesday) 17:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

View From Miyajima Island

shep207
Joined Sep 2012
Jun 20, 2017 17:30 |  #1

Looking out from the ferry terminal area on Miyajima Island

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

KoalaCowboy
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Metro Denver, CO, USA
Jun 21, 2017 12:16 |  #2

Hopefully you'll accept this critique as a means to improve your photography.

This image has far too much empty space and no real focus point to draw the viewer into the image. More along the lines of a "snapshot" of something you saw while on a vacation, not something you spent time composing and desiring to draw the viewer into the same place you were whilst composing.

- -
Pete
Gripped 5D Mk III / 24-105 / 16-35 II / 70-200 II / 600EX-RT / LEE Filters / F-Stop backpacks / Gitzo GT3542LS / RRS BH-55
USKestrel Photography (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,263 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jun 21, 2017 12:51 |  #3

I admire this image as

KoalaCowboy wrote in post #18383535 (external link)
something you spent time composing and desiring to draw the viewer into the same contemplative, meditative, spiritual place you were whilst composing.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

shep207
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2012
Post has been edited 5 months ago by shep207.
Jun 21, 2017 15:15 as a reply to KoalaCowboy's post |  #4

Criticism is always welcome so no problem at all!

I have to say that I actually quite like the composition and all of the grey tones at the top, but I realise that many people will see it as boring empty space.

The image could do with being sharper had I used a smaller aperture, but this photo was taken in 2013 when I had just got my 35L and I was experimenting with DOF at long distances..

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts though!

shep207
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2012
Jun 21, 2017 15:16 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #5

Thanks! Glad you like it.

595 views & 2 likes for this thread
View From Miyajima Island
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.