Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 13 Jun 2017 (Tuesday) 12:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What do you do with extra pictures?

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Jun 13, 2017 12:15 |  #1

Ok, so you specify a low number of pictures to the bride and groom for a budget wedding, but as we all do, it's snap snap snap with double or treble that number taken. After sifting through the very best you find lots more you can give. So what do you do? Do you A). Give them anyway, or B).Suggest you have more and offer to sell them or C). Do nowt (nothing)? If it's B, how do you broach the subject with your couple?
Regards, Col.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,868 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jun 13, 2017 14:53 |  #2

I don't promise a number of pictures. The couple get every image I'd want to see if it was my wedding.

Promising a small number of images doesn't significantly reduce how much time it takes - maybe a few hours less processing. I still have to cull them all, I just process a bit less.

IMHO, change your packages.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,125 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Jun 13, 2017 15:13 |  #3

I have no "extra" pictures. Every capture that I deem worthy of making into a picture gets delivered to my client as a low res file. My pricing relects that. Prints and high res files are priced separately.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jun 13, 2017 21:07 |  #4

I don't have any extra pictures. Images either make the cull or they don't. Everything that survives the cull is edited and delivered.

Peter

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Jun 14, 2017 09:10 |  #5

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #18377910 (external link)
I don't have any extra pictures. Images either make the cull or they don't. Everything that survives the cull is edited and delivered.

Exact same policy as pete

If its in focus and can be printed....I give the files to the client.

I dont want to be in the situation where a client is questioning if there are other pictures. I have heard a couple horror stories where brides wanted all pictures from the wedding day. She hired to deliver everything and there has been some legal issues for photographers about this.

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Colin Glover.
Jun 14, 2017 11:23 |  #6

Thanks guys. I see. A lot of UK togs specify numbers. 400 seems to be average where I am. My wife and I differ in opinion. My basic package is very cheap, 2 hrs gets you 200 images. Of course I take around 4-600 in that time. My wife says just edit 200 and that's it. I'm inclined to give everything but she says I'm only being paid xxx pounds/dollars. In part I agree, but my heart says give all the acceptable ones. Do you think going ABCD ie. more than you state, helps for recommendations?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
Jun 14, 2017 12:48 |  #7

Colin,

Have to make sure everything is in black and white with the contract. We make it iron clad. Like Mike said, you don't specify, they expect everything and when you don't deliver, issues arise. Our norm is 300. If they want more, we can do this but the price is different.

I use to think be kind and give them a lot more anyway, they love us, raved about the photos, so we will get a lot of jobs from them if we are extra generous. Never got one. Not that we don't get reco's we do, but in this case, she was worried her friends would have just as good or better photos from us and she did not want that! Some of these brides can be crazy. Its a Northeast U.S. thing. One potential client actually reached out to us to confirm we were booked and I said how did you know we were booked? She said the bride that loved us told her we were by stating she would contact us for her to find out if we were open. Go figure. And not that we are that great :) We hit a homerun her day and everything just worked out perfect so her photos were great.

Listen to your wife.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jun 14, 2017 19:22 as a reply to Colin Glover's post |  #8

Just because others do something doesn't mean you have to follow suit. The easiest way to make yourself go unnoticed is to become part of the herd.

Peter

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Jun 15, 2017 06:42 |  #9

How true Peter. I've been given food for thought. Great advice here. Thanks guys.

F2Bthere
756 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Jun 15, 2017 14:24 |  #10

Colin Glover wrote in post #18378264 (external link)
Thanks guys. I see. A lot of UK togs specify numbers. 400 seems to be average where I am. My wife and I differ in opinion. My basic package is very cheap, 2 hrs gets you 200 images. Of course I take around 4-600 in that time. My wife says just edit 200 and that's it. I'm inclined to give everything but she says I'm only being paid xxx pounds/dollars. In part I agree, but my heart says give all the acceptable ones. Do you think going ABCD ie. more than you state, helps for recommendations?

If I set up and was paid for two hours of photography, I would give them any extra images as long as it wasn't going to cost me a bunch of extra time to deliver. I wouldn't deliver anything I wasn't proud of (that is a general principle).

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,423 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Jun 15, 2017 15:36 |  #11

Would the extra pictures, that you consider to be really good and would be proud to have them display as having been taken by you, produce more opportunities in the future by word of mouth from this couple? If so, then deliver those as well.

I also agree about not creating packages wrapped around a set number or range of delivered files. That will cause you grief at both ends, what if you cannot deliver, or what if you have too many... Packages should be around the amount of time and types of things you are shooting in my opinion.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Jun 19, 2017 12:53 |  #12

I understand all you're saying. I just looked at one very average photographer who is only quoting 150 images. That seems too low. So do you have an unspecified minimum that you'd like to deliver? I don't mean you have to deliver that number, just that you'd like to.

hbomb69
Joined Jan 2007
Lancashire, UK
Post has been edited 5 months ago by hbomb69.
Jun 21, 2017 11:51 |  #13

I personally seem to average around 500 delivered images on a Full Day Wedding......this amount naturally seems to tell a days story. :)

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.ukexternal link
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

sponsored links

3,427 views & 5 likes for this thread
What do you do with extra pictures?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.