Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk
Thread started 04 May 2017 (Thursday) 09:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Formula 1 Track Suggestions

Grand ­ Dad
Joined Jun 2009
El Cajon, CA
May 04, 2017 09:36 |  #1

I could use the help of all you Formula 1 shooters. My son and I are planning a trip to Europe next year and want to hit at least one F1 race weekend. We are both photographers, so getting good shots is important. Which tracks are best for shooting with unobstructed sight lines and a variety of locations? We shot the inaugural Austin, TX race and with the elevation changes there, we got some nice shots over the fences. Spa seems well suited and I understand you can wander around quite a bit there. But any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Larry

http://lateapexphoto.c​omexternal link

sponsored links
TustinMike
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by TustinMike. 2 edits done in total.
May 04, 2017 10:28 |  #2

Sounds fantastic and I'm eager for some good advice myself, as I would love to attend an F1 race overseas someday myself. Without having been, I would also think Spa might be a good choice, if for nothing else the tremendous history, the background scenery, and the speed there.

Have you checked out Grand Prix Adviser yet ? Seems to have a lot of good info. http://grandprixadviso​r.com/ (external link)

All New Year, All New Sig !

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,023 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
May 04, 2017 10:29 |  #3

Grand Dad wrote in post #18346049 (external link)
I could use the help of all you Formula 1 shooters. My son and I are planning a trip to Europe next year and want to hit at least one F1 race weekend. We are both photographers, so getting good shots is important. Which tracks are best for shooting with unobstructed sight lines and a variety of locations? We shot the inaugural Austin, TX race and with the elevation changes there, we got some nice shots over the fences. Spa seems well suited and I understand you can wander around quite a bit there. But any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Unfortunately I can't help you with regards to F1 as I think that watching F1 is like watching paint dry, but, if you do come over to the UK I can highly recommend a visit to Cadwell Park. There is very little in the way of catch fencing, you can get very close to the action, and it is renowned for the "Mountain" section.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=VjZ3kpyLAJA (external link)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=IYJnD2pNm4w (external link)

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,444 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
May 05, 2017 08:34 |  #4

Its going to be difficult to find someone, except for perhaps a professional, that has visited numerous tracks to make valid comparisons. So I suggest you go to http://www.f1fanatic.c​o.uk ...ing-great-f1-photographs/ (external link) and scroll down to tip #7 where a professional does discuss his favorite tracks. Also, make note of tip #3 about panning, essential for good race photography. I suggest practicing on a street corner or a busy street until you develop the technique of capturing a "sharp" car image with a properly blurred background.

I personally like the track in Montreal but only because the proximity to where I live. Silverstone is good, but getting around on race day is an absolute bear.

Unfortunately the old days of being able to just wander the track on foot are long gone. I can remember Watkins Glen and the early Canadian GP's where the best deal was the cheapest ticket. There were drawbacks of course, rain was quite common at Watkins Glen as the race was around the first weekend of October. The famous "bog" was of course the result and I have photos (35mm) of a Porsche burning in the bog.
The following year spectators had to top that one so they burned a Greyhound bus on its side in the bog. Track officials finally filled the area with stones and eliminated the poor drainage.

As far as race photography I was about 50 feet from a car that failed to negotiate a curve at Watkins Glen (early 1970's) and the car went under a barrier. I remember distinctly one of the race crew saying no ambulance was necessary and covering the headless body of Helmuth Koinigg with a tarp.

Grand ­ Dad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
El Cajon, CA
May 05, 2017 10:04 |  #5

TustinMike wrote in post #18346090 (external link)
Sounds fantastic and I'm eager for some good advice myself, as I would love to attend an F1 race overseas someday myself. Without having been, I would also think Spa might be a good choice, if for nothing else the tremendous history, the background scenery, and the speed there.

Have you checked out Grand Prix Adviser yet ? Seems to have a lot of good info. http://grandprixadviso​r.com/ (external link)

Thanks for the link, Mike. Some of this info is pretty dated, but interesting. I'll pass along any info I gather before or after our trip.

Larry

Grand ­ Dad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
El Cajon, CA
May 05, 2017 10:18 |  #6

John from PA wrote in post #18346907 (external link)
Its going to be difficult to find someone, except for perhaps a professional, that has visited numerous tracks to make valid comparisons. So I suggest you go to http://www.f1fanatic.c​o.uk ...ing-great-f1-photographs/ (external link) and scroll down to tip #7 where a professional does discuss his favorite tracks. Also, make note of tip #3 about panning, essential for good race photography. I suggest practicing on a street corner or a busy street until you develop the technique of capturing a "sharp" car image with a properly blurred background.

I personally like the track in Montreal but only because the proximity to where I live. Silverstone is good, but getting around on race day is an absolute bear.

Thanks for the link, John. I've been shooting SCCA and other types of races for years, occasionally with credentials, so I know about panning. ;-)a I am hoping to get info from other photographers, professional or serious amateurs, that have actually been to the tracks. I provided some details and maps to others after I attended the inaugural Austin, TX F1 race and was hoping there might be the same info on different tracks.

Larry

devannphoto
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2017
May 21, 2017 16:01 |  #7

Think not many have been to all (European) tracks so hard to compare but from the few I've been to I'd definitely suggest Spa for photography. Although I've never seen an F1 race there, I've been there a few times for other races.

Spa has a lot of possibilities to wander around and take a nice variety of photos with just general access. All the other tracks I know (Monza, Monaco, Nurburgring, Hockenheimring) you need grandstand access for the majority of photos, and apart from maybe Friday your restricted to the one you bought your tickets for.

flickr (external link)

Grand ­ Dad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
El Cajon, CA
May 21, 2017 16:08 |  #8

devannphoto wrote in post #18359897 (external link)
Think not many have been to all (European) tracks so hard to compare but from the few I've been to I'd definitely suggest Spa for photography. Although I've never seen an F1 race there, I've been there a few times for other races.

Spa has a lot of possibilities to wander around and take a nice variety of photos with just general access. All the other tracks I know (Monza, Monaco, Nurburgring, Hockenheimring) you need grandstand access for the majority of photos, and apart from maybe Friday your restricted to the one you bought your tickets for.

Thanks for your good insite. That's exactly the kind of help I was hoping for.

Larry

markjtimms
56 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Jun 08, 2017 05:02 |  #9

Morning all,

I'll give some insight if I can. If you are an F1 fan then the chances are you will likely want to get to one of the historic racing circuits rather than one of the newer ones, so this kind of rules out Azerbaijan really, plus this circuit is difficult to walk around and shoot at anyhow, especially as a spectator.

If you want to get to a great circuit for spectating, taking images and is reasonably priced, your best race circuit is Spa Francorchamps. As a spectator you will be able to walk the whole circuit, however take your walking boots, there is a lot of undulation. The good thing behind this is the fact it leads to great images even from the spectator areas and with it being one of the historics, you aren't too far from the track so you really get to see how quick these race cars really are.

If you wanted to see some images from there look through the velocity section on my website at markjtimms.com and if you want some more advice don't hesitate to get in touch, either on here or via contact information on my site.

mark j timms: photographerexternal link
@markjtimmsexternal link
photographer who shoots to create art pieces of both the motorsport and the automotive industries...

Grand ­ Dad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
El Cajon, CA
Jun 10, 2017 09:34 |  #10

markjtimms wrote in post #18373724 (external link)
Morning all,

I'll give some insight if I can. If you are an F1 fan then the chances are you will likely want to get to one of the historic racing circuits rather than one of the newer ones, so this kind of rules out Azerbaijan really, plus this circuit is difficult to walk around and shoot at anyhow, especially as a spectator.

If you want to get to a great circuit for spectating, taking images and is reasonably priced, your best race circuit is Spa Francorchamps. As a spectator you will be able to walk the whole circuit, however take your walking boots, there is a lot of undulation. The good thing behind this is the fact it leads to great images even from the spectator areas and with it being one of the historics, you aren't too far from the track so you really get to see how quick these race cars really are.

If you wanted to see some images from there look through the velocity section on my website at markjtimms.com and if you want some more advice don't hesitate to get in touch, either on here or via contact information on my site.

Thanks for the information Mark, Spa seems to be our best option. I may just take you up on the offer of more advice as time approaches. Things like places to stay, where to get tickets, which grandstand for race day, etc. will all be an adventure.

I like some of your artier images as they are very different from the more technical shots I tend to strive for. I guess 40 years as an engineer and 35 driving race cars tend to push me in that direction. ;-)a Good shooting.

Larry

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,444 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by John from PA. 3 edits done in total.
Jun 12, 2017 14:15 |  #11

Grand Dad wrote in post #18375237 (external link)
Thanks for the information Mark, Spa seems to be our best option. I may just take you up on the offer of more advice as time approaches. Things like places to stay, where to get tickets, which grandstand for race day, etc. will all be an adventure.

"Spa" F1 2017 is 25-27 August which will be on us before you know it! But as soon as the race is over and they announce 2018's date, start working your arrangements. Good quality lodging especially, is tough to come by even one year out.

AvidColl
30 posts
Joined Jun 2017
Post has been edited 5 months ago by AvidColl.
Jun 17, 2017 11:43 |  #12

I have been to just one race in COTA but many indy car races. I like slow corners and ability to walk up and down the aisle to get shots from various angles. Usually people take a telephoto (zoom), but don't forget a wide angle zoom lens!

Forza Ferrari!

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Post has been edited 4 months ago by wallstreetoneil.
Jun 17, 2017 13:25 |  #13

It isn't Formula 1, but if you want a place for great pictures, with absolute access to the best spots, then come up to Mosport for the Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix weekend in July.

Mosport is the Fastest Track in North America with a few absolutely great corners for fantastic photography - and then catch a Jays game while you are here.

Spa would be #1 choice - it is just a bigger Mosport.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

markjtimms
56 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Jun 22, 2017 05:02 |  #14

Grand Dad wrote in post #18375237 (external link)

I like some of your artier images as they are very different from the more technical shots I tend to strive for. I guess 40 years as an engineer and 35 driving race cars tend to push me in that direction. ;-)a Good shooting.

No trouble at all. Get in touch if you needed.

I strive to get the more artistic images as much as I can. I was at Le Mans this past weekend, the gallery will be up on my blog soon so make sure you look out for it!

mark j timms: photographerexternal link
@markjtimmsexternal link
photographer who shoots to create art pieces of both the motorsport and the automotive industries...

sponsored links

1,257 views & 6 likes for this thread
Formula 1 Track Suggestions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.