Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 31 May 2017 (Wednesday) 23:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My Editing/Gaming Desktop... Could use some help with color

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
May 31, 2017 23:34 |  #1

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4225/35024879765_23baf7344e_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Vn2E​vk] (external link)Kagutsuchi Mk 2 (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

The lighting in reality is a deep, dark blood red, but no matter what i do it comes out quite orange.. Tried to pull orange and adjust/shift the color and this is the closest i can manage

The rest of the colors are ok which has me believing the LEDs have some rapid flickering or something going on that messes with photographs...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links
Temma
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Jun 01, 2017 02:49 |  #2

1. I know NOTHING about Panasonic cameras.
  2. Can the camera shoot in RAW? If so, are you shooting in RAW?
  3. If the answer to 2a and 2b is "yes", what white balance are you using? It might be wrong. Can you do a custom white balance (if at all)?

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by KenjiS. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 02, 2017 12:35 |  #3

Temma wrote in post #18368065 (external link)

1. I know NOTHING about Panasonic cameras.
  2. Can the camera shoot in RAW? If so, are you shooting in RAW?
  3. If the answer to 2a and 2b is "yes", what white balance are you using? It might be wrong. Can you do a custom white balance (if at all)?

Yes I'm shooting in RAW and editing the RAW in lightroom. The GX8 is a mirrorless ILC with fairly good RAW output. Id probably have the same issue with the 7DII if i tried it.. But i might actually give the 7DII a try as well just to see..I picked the GX8 for the 15mm f/1.7 lens more than anything...

Basically tried to adjust the white balance and cant get the lighting right, The rest of the image in terms of color and etc is perfect, its just the lighting itself that i cant seem to get to look the same it does in reality

i might need to use HDR

Tried the 7DII as well, Same problem

Tweak the white balance and it changes the lighting from Red to orange or pink

Its a deep, Dark, Blood red, the best way i can get close to it is under exposing the image significantly but then all you see are the lights

So maybe not a white balance issue but an issue with exposure and dynamic range...

My spine gave out again so i cant try anymore atm..

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jun 03, 2017 09:55 |  #4

Have you tried pulling the red and orange luminance sliders down, as well as playing with their hue? Unfortunately with camera sensors being linear devices it often seems that you lose some of the saturation when looking at strongly coloured light sources.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Temma
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Jun 03, 2017 14:01 |  #5

Again, I know nothing about Panasonic cameras.

With a Canon you could actually do a custom white balance off of a gray card.

Can you do this, and if so, have you tried it?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Jun 03, 2017 14:09 |  #6

Curves > plus blue > plus magenta

Technically, minus green gets you more red, but most who know what they are doing would go with the above fix as it gives more control and RGB is all relative anyway.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Jun 03, 2017 14:14 |  #7

Don't know how Lightroom's curves are to use, but levels can be used too, just might not be as intuitive if you are not familiar with it.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Jun 18, 2017 21:23 |  #8

Sorry for late response

Its not a white balance issue, the rest of the image is color correct. Its literally the lights coming out off

Tried adjusting blue/magenta, its doing nothing to the coloration of the light to get it "correct"

Of course the comp is sitting right next to me so its easy to check lol

If anything im thinking its more exposure, the red is overexposed massively and shifting off hue perhaps...

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Jun 19, 2017 19:26 |  #9

FYI I took a few more with my 7D as well and i cannot get the color right..

This is the closest I can get

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4217/34573320114_454667c55f_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/UF8i​y7] (external link)2F4A7357 (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

I know its not white balance because in other images where you can see the background EVERYTHING else is the right color and tone. The NZXT and Start/Reset LEDs are the right color. The only thing that just does NOT come out right is the parts that are RED for whatever reason, They are not deep enough, not anywhere close

Also note the brightness difference in the Corsair logo and etc, That doesn't exist in reality..Which is why im believing theres some kind of trickery involved that the camera is picking up but my eyes cant

I've adjusted and played with the sliders all over the place in Lightroom, I can get pink or rust orange, but not deep, saturated blood red like it is in reality...

the slider that has made the most difference is exposure. The reds appear better when i massively underexpose the image. It APPEARS as though the red channel has been massively clipped, my only option might be something like an HDR composite in other words to compress the dynamic range of the photo down

Temma
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Jun 20, 2017 15:23 |  #10

Just out of curiosity, have you viewed the images on somebody else's PC?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jun 21, 2017 08:08 |  #11

I think you should try pulling down the Red and Orange Luminance sliders in the HSL tolls in LR. It's an unfortunate fact of life that we tend to see red light sources as darker and more saturated than the camera does. You may well need to play with the hue and saturation sliders for those channels as well to get the effect that you are looking for. Remember that when photographing the light source itself that you are dealing with a very large brightness range. If the Red/Orange HSL channels don't get you all of the way, it might be necessary to play with the Highlights and possibly Whites values for the light sources themselves using a local brush adjustment. You might even need a little negative exposure too for some of the LEDs.

To be honest the images you have posted look just how I would expect them to look, that is just about the colour you would expect from red LEDs when given a relatively long exposure. I mean if they were white bulbs that you were photographing you would not be surprised if they were close to clipping, so why should a red light source be any different. Remember that they are not monochromatic, and that none of the filters in the Bayer FCA on the sensor will totally block all light from the red LEDs even in the blue and green channels, since we are dealing with analogue filters that are more or less high pass for the blue, low pass for the red, and a relatively wide band pass for the green. If you view those red LED's in a program like RAW Digger where you can see the output from each channel, you will see that they are quite bright in the blue channel, let alone the green.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Post has been edited 5 months ago by KenjiS.
Jun 22, 2017 18:07 |  #12

BigAl007 wrote in post #18383381 (external link)
I think you should try pulling down the Red and Orange Luminance sliders in the HSL tolls in LR. It's an unfortunate fact of life that we tend to see red light sources as darker and more saturated than the camera does. You may well need to play with the hue and saturation sliders for those channels as well to get the effect that you are looking for. Remember that when photographing the light source itself that you are dealing with a very large brightness range. If the Red/Orange HSL channels don't get you all of the way, it might be necessary to play with the Highlights and possibly Whites values for the light sources themselves using a local brush adjustment. You might even need a little negative exposure too for some of the LEDs.

To be honest the images you have posted look just how I would expect them to look, that is just about the colour you would expect from red LEDs when given a relatively long exposure. I mean if they were white bulbs that you were photographing you would not be surprised if they were close to clipping, so why should a red light source be any different. Remember that they are not monochromatic, and that none of the filters in the Bayer FCA on the sensor will totally block all light from the red LEDs even in the blue and green channels, since we are dealing with analogue filters that are more or less high pass for the blue, low pass for the red, and a relatively wide band pass for the green. If you view those red LED's in a program like RAW Digger where you can see the output from each channel, you will see that they are quite bright in the blue channel, let alone the green.

Alan

Probably is just because its sitting RIGHT next to me that its getting to me. Others love how it looks im just like meh its not really how it looks in reality..

and yeah i did that, first thing i tried was adjusting the HSL sliders in lightroom and they did not do a ton of good.

The reds ARE blown now that i really look at the histogram, that is likely why HSL is doing nothing and why my adjusting things is going nowhere, So the best option for a "realistic" view would likely be to photograph the LEDs so they expose correctly (Underexposing everything else massively) and then take a "normally" lit photo and HDR them, Im asking too much from any camera, its as simple as that.

Other option would be level out the lighting level in the image otherwise by utilizing some kind of fill light so im not asking the camera to capture REALLY BRIGHT LEDS and the really dark everything else...

sponsored links

1,216 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Editing/Gaming Desktop... Could use some help with color
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.