Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 07 May 2017 (Sunday) 14:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

RRS alternatives

juanpafer
Goldmember
Joined May 2009
Fort Myers, FL
May 07, 2017 14:17 |  #1

I am coming back to Canon after a few years in the Fuji camp. I have not been up to date in forums...
I got a 7dII and I need an L plate. I see RRS has a modular one and you can get Sunwayfoto brand at BH (at a third of the price). You can also go with the cheap ones from eBay.
I have always used RRS plates but it is getting expensive for a piece of aluminum!
I wanted to know if there is anything else that I am missing. Another company? Any experience with the modular one from RRS?

Juan

rwmson
Joined Aug 2009
Cherry Hill, NJ USA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by rwmson.
May 08, 2017 06:49 |  #2

I have the RRS L-plate on my 7dMk2 and it works fine (as one would expect for a 70-bazillion dollar piece of aluminum).

a gobba gobba glass

ManiZ
Joined Sep 2009
Mile High City
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by ManiZ. 2 edits done in total.
May 19, 2017 18:05 |  #3

I would like to know as well. Sunwayfoto is a reputable option but they don't make one to work with the 5D4 grip, or at least I haven't found one. Besides RRS, Kirk is quite expensive as well.

5D4 Gripped | 16-35 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 85 f1.8 | 600EX-RT | 430EXII | YN-468II | YN-622c | 'Stuff'

CheleA
Joined Jul 2014
Post has been edited 4 months ago by CheleA.
Jun 24, 2017 15:38 as a reply to ManiZ's post |  #4

I bought an L bracket and a couple of clamps for my 6D and 70D through Ebay. The L bracket was $15 and was, and still am, impressed with the fit and finish. I was a machinist in a former life and I sure could not justify making it for what I paid.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,051 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 24, 2017 16:13 |  #5

I have a Sunway for my 7DII, as well as original RRS L brackets for my 5D and 40D bodies. The only thing about Sunway (vs. RRS) is that black finish is not as hard and durable on the Sunway brackets, so it wears off where the screw holds the bracket to the body's tripod socket. It does not bother me, though, as I rarely if ever remove the L bracket. It fits my RRS QR lever unit on my BH-40 head just fine.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

5,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS alternatives
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.