Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 17 Mar 2017 (Friday) 11:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Popular Photography Magazine Defunct

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,552 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Mar 17, 2017 11:00 |  #1

Sad to see, but Popular Photography magazine will slip silently into the night this month after an 80-year run.

In my younger days, Popular Photography and its frenemy Modern Photography were like pieces of photo gear to me. I also liked Camera 35, which was more oriented towards PJ interests.

Two things that Modern and Pop did that were unique--and hardly done anymore--is that their camera and lens equipment tests included "strip downs" by experienced camera techs, who would comment on design and material choice. Modern would run head-to-head strip-down comparisons of lenses, such as how Contax, Leitz, Canon, and Nikkor lenses compared in internal design and material choice. The only place I see anything like that today is at lensrentals.com, but they don't do many of those.

And also the ads: My first introduction to Adorama, B&H, et cetera, ordered by phone.

They were hokey magazines in a lot of ways, and yes, eclipsed by online content, but sad to see now all gone.

sponsored links
mark48
903 posts
Joined Jun 2011
South Central Kentucky
Mar 19, 2017 14:36 |  #2

I used to be a magazine "junkie" and would hoard countless issues prior to the internet. Sad to hear of PP's demise but the magazine just failed to hold my interest the past few years. I still enjoy a few of the mags from the UK such as Practical Photographer and Digital Photo (the UK issue).
-Mark

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,899 posts
Joined May 2007
SF Bay Area
Mar 20, 2017 14:48 |  #3

RDKirk wrote in post #18303364 (external link)
And also the ads: My first introduction to Adorama, B&H, et cetera, ordered by phone.

...and Spiratone! (Lots of cheap junk, which was usually all I could afford.)

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

RDKirk
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,552 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Mar 20, 2017 16:44 |  #4

number six wrote in post #18306134 (external link)
...and Spiratone! (Lots of cheap junk, which was usually all I could afford.)

-js

I forgot about them!

Hey, I bought a 400mm f/8 totally manual long focal length lens from them. It was not a telephoto, it was actually 400mm long. I also bought three of those Spiratone "system" flash units. Loved their ads.

lowrider
758 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Tucson
May 06, 2017 19:25 |  #5

I guess I'm a little late to the party, but I just found out about this. Today, I received a copy of Popular Science in the mail with a short note the PP was now gone. I used to read PS when I was a kid, but no interest now., and certainly not related to Photography? I will miss PP.

Lou

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Jun 24, 2017 19:23 |  #6

For the last few years I had a subscription to Popular Photography.
I still have a box full of them. Guess I'll save them just for fun.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 09, 2017 00:45 |  #7

RDKirk wrote in post #18303364 (external link)
Sad to see, but Popular Photography magazine will slip silently into the night this month after an 80-year run.

Is there a similar to take its place?

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

RDKirk
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,552 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Aug 09, 2017 09:48 |  #8

icor1031 wrote in post #18422829 (external link)
Is there a similar to take its place?

Sure, there are a number of magazines on the shelves..

sponsored links

2,845 views & 4 likes for this thread
Popular Photography Magazine Defunct
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.