Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation
Thread started 25 Jun 2017 (Sunday) 14:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

P-51D "Upupa Epops"

squirl033
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Everett, WA
Jun 25, 2017 14:03 |  #1

"Upupa Epops", a P-51D-20-NA owned by Paul Allen's Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum in Everett, WAm during a flight demo yesterday. Upupa epops is the latin name for a species of bird informally known as the hoopoe. The pilot of the Mustang during WWII, Harrison Tordoff, was an ornithologist before enlisting, and when he was assigned the aircraft in March of 1945, he submitted the name "upupa epops" just to bug the bureaucrats who were responsible for approving aircraft names at that time. He figured the censors wouldn't know what it was, and therefore couldn't deny it. His assumption proved correct, and he flew the plane with that name for the remainder of the war. This is one of very few currently airworthy P-51s that actually saw combat in WWII...

IMAGE: http://image.ibb.co/i5NqJQ/IMG_7788_crop_sm.jpg

IMAGE: http://image.ibb.co/kgFyNk/IMG_7649_crop_sm.jpg

IMAGE: http://image.ibb.co/hnjToQ/IMG_7712_crop_sm.jpg

Rocky ~
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night
www.northwestnaturalim​agery.comexternal link

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Jun 25, 2017 14:30 |  #2

Nicely captured and I like the background info.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

425 views & 4 likes for this thread
P-51D "Upupa Epops"
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.