Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 30 Jun 2017 (Friday) 11:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photobucket Goes Rogue

Ballen ­ Photo
19,506 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Southern Nevada and Idaho
Jun 30, 2017 11:20 |  #1

Expect to see a real kerfuffle arise in the near future over Photobuckets new policy. People have stated they are now holding their photos for ransom, and are demanding $399. per year.
https://www.pcmag.com ...links-across-the-internet (external link)

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

sponsored links
Inspeqtor
I never knew that!
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Jun 30, 2017 11:25 |  #2

Wow... sure hope Flickr does not do the same thing.... although I do not have very many photos there, less than 100....

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II *** iOptron 3302W Star Tracker

Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Jun 30, 2017 11:28 |  #3

That's certainly a good way to hasten the trip to bankruptcy court.

I am I

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,506 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Jun 30, 2017 11:32 |  #4

Folks on another forum are claiming their photos are being held for ransom.

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Jun 30, 2017 11:58 |  #5

Not quite the same thing, but Dropbox ended their "Public" folder recently, so ALL the photos I hosted anywhere online suddenly went "POOF!" And to make it even worse, there's not even a placeholder image with an "X" or a cute little kitten....just a blank space noone would never notice. It really makes for difficult reading in the 100s of posts I made (not on this forum).

Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Jun 30, 2017 12:38 |  #6

I just went to photobucket, for the first time in a few years, to delete my account. My lord the ads on their site...

I stopped using them years ago because of the horrid load times on hosted photos. Yeah, all those annoying ads on the free account pretty much sums up their business model....force people to pay by annoying them with ads. Hope that works out for them.

I am I

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,506 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Jun 30, 2017 12:48 |  #7

Strontium wrote in post #18390961 (external link)
I just went to photobucket, for the first time in a few years, to delete my account. My lord the ads on their site...

I stopped using them years ago because of the horrid load times on hosted photos. Yeah, all those annoying ads on the free account pretty much sums up their business model....force people to pay by annoying them with ads. Hope that works out for them.

I'm sure the other hosting sites are welcoming the refugee's with open arms.

frozenframe
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Kansas, USA
Jun 30, 2017 17:54 |  #8

I've been using Flicker, and hope they don't follow suit. After seeing what Photobucket is doing, I deleted my account with them. I had very few photos there, as I've never liked how slow it is, and now adds flying everywhere.

Ron
My Gear List

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,506 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Jun 30, 2017 18:29 |  #9

frozenframe wrote in post #18391214 (external link)
I've been using Flicker, and hope they don't follow suit. After seeing what Photobucket is doing, I deleted my account with them. I had very few photos there, as I've never liked how slow it is, and now adds flying everywhere.

You're not the first one to report the AD's. Horrible situation for a lot of people. :-(

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,260 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Wilt.
Jun 30, 2017 20:40 |  #10

All of my posts with photos/graphical illustrations on POTN have been via Photobucket...and my posts are still showing up with links properly working. It will be interesting to see if they stop working anytime soon. BTW my Photobucket membership is the lowest (free) level, and I only just started paying about $2 per month for ad-free membership.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PhotosGuy
74,862 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jun 30, 2017 22:00 |  #11

No warning from them to me, either. I used 10% of the free hosting & it looks like they slammed my account too. PB sucks big time!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

RicoTudor
499 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Chicago, IL
Post has been edited 5 months ago by RicoTudor.
Jul 01, 2017 02:24 |  #12

PB has created a golden opportunity for themselves. Assuming $399/yr doesn't fly, all those embedded images across the Net become advertising billboards. :( My images are hosted on my own server, so the TOS won't change unless I approve them!

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

Overread
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
Jul 01, 2017 05:15 |  #13

I suspect this is more part of a campaign to close the site.

By making terms and conditions unreasonable and by imposing them in this manner its basically encouraging people to leave in droves. At which point any serious users are gone and they can close without a backlash of people demanding that they remain open because who wants a site charging such high prices just for image hosting.

It's a totally nasty move on their part and there are multiple ways they could have done it a lot lot better (eg a notification and a grace period to let people shift services); but I guess they gave up on their users a long while back when they went so ad heavy.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,260 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Jul 01, 2017 11:56 |  #14

Wilt wrote in post #18391327 (external link)
All of my posts with photos/graphical illustrations on POTN have been via Photobucket...and my posts are still showing up with links properly working. It will be interesting to see if they stop working anytime soon. BTW my Photobucket membership is the lowest (free) level, and I only just started paying about $2 per month for ad-free membership.

Methinks this thread is the result of an article, the offshoot of an alarmist writer...

Here is the current Photobucket web page of membership options

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/photobucket_zpsx4ly210u.jpg

I don't use Photobucket commercially in any manner, I only use it to post illustrations in threads on various forums, and have not been 'slammed' or approached to up my status from merely paying to be 'ad free'. In over 10 years of posting, I have only used 0.6GB of my free 2.0GB, and the $39.99 account provides over 500GB of storage...over 80X as much as I use after 10+ years

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,506 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Jul 01, 2017 12:21 |  #15

Wilt wrote in post #18391717 (external link)
Methinks this thread is the result of an article, the offshoot of an alarmist writer...

Not so sure about this being written by an alarmist? I have suddenly been seeing the speedometer place holders showing up all over the web, as well as a lot of PB users **** about the changes.
FWIW, I don't use PB, and never have.

sponsored links

34,379 views & 125 likes for this thread
Photobucket Goes Rogue
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.