Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities
Thread started 10 May 2016 (Tuesday) 10:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

SoCal Thread Part III: Home of the Hackers, Yackers, and B.I.F.'s!!!

mazda21
Joined Jun 2008
Sunny SoCal
Jun 28, 2017 21:19 |  #616

^^Thanks. Yeah, I know what you mean, that ship is big!!

Chrisbertphotography.z​enfolio.com

sponsored links
yendikeno
Joined Feb 2005
Southern California
Jul 01, 2017 00:43 |  #617

at Shipley Nature Center - this egret chick was so hungry it tried to eat mom's head! :-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

JPepus
Joined Sep 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Jul 02, 2017 10:59 as a reply to yendikeno's post |  #618

That must have been a tough shot. I like it, just wish there was more detail and less highlight blow-out on Momma's head.

-Justin Pepus (Canon 80D, Olympus E-M5II, and some glass)
Flickr.com/JPepus (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jul 03, 2017 08:27 |  #619

JPepus wrote in post #18392502 (external link)
That must have been a tough shot. I like it, just wish there was more detail and less highlight blow-out on Momma's head.

There is no blow-out at all on any part of Mama Egret's head. Perhaps your monitor brightness is mis-adjusted?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

JPepus
Joined Sep 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by JPepus.
Jul 03, 2017 10:47 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #620

Holy crap! You're right! I slid the window over to my secondary monitor and "POOF" there's mama's head! Ha Ha I guess I never noticed this monitor since I don't do my photo work on it (good thing).

Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Edit: Found the problem. Was the maxed out Contrast I guess I had set for gaming. How embarrassing.

-Justin Pepus (Canon 80D, Olympus E-M5II, and some glass)
Flickr.com/JPepus (external link)

djr01974
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Yorba Linda
Jul 05, 2017 19:11 |  #621

Happy 4th

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

01Ryan10
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Jul 07, 2017 14:22 |  #622

From Joshua Tree this past May. I'm heading back for a solo all nighter 7/21.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4247/34819256472_2b4a4b1163_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/V3RM​S9] (external link)Milky Way Rising on Memorial Day (external link) by Ryan Luna (external link), on Flickr

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

01Ryan10
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Jul 07, 2017 14:27 |  #623

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18321421 (external link)
Joshua Tree again.
QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/T2Zx​8U] (external link)Dead Tree at Sunset (external link) by tltichy (external link), on Flickr

that is beautiful. I want to go on a cloudy day some time in the future. I've been about 5 times, and all cloudless days.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Jul 08, 2017 09:33 |  #624

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18396451 (external link)
From Joshua Tree this past May. I'm heading back for a solo all nighter 7/21.

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18396457 (external link)
I want to go on a cloudy day some time in the future. I've been about 5 times, and all cloudless days.

I'm curious about what you guys have seen when you're in Joshua Tree.

Do you ever see any little lizards when you're there? . How about Gambel's Quail? . Roadrunners? . If so, how cooperative are the Roadrunners?

Ever see any Desert Bighorns there in Joshua Tree?

Any other wildlife there that you've found to be interesting and/or photogenic?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Scatterbrained.
Jul 08, 2017 13:34 |  #625

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18397043 (external link)
I'm curious about what you guys have seen when you're in Joshua Tree.

Do you ever see any little lizards when you're there? . How about Gambel's Quail? . Roadrunners? . If so, how cooperative are the Roadrunners?

Ever see any Desert Bighorns there in Joshua Tree?

Any other wildlife there that you've found to be interesting and/or photogenic?

I just moved away for JT to San Diego. There are lizards that you can find if you're patient. My girls used to chase them around the house (they'd be crawling on outside walls). Morning Doves are ubiquitous. Coyotes aren't hard to find. At one point I was tempted to mount a strobe on my roof so I could grab some shots of coyotes on my way into and out of the park at night. They tend to use the roads to get around at night. Lots of mice. I only ever saw Roadrunners when they were actually crossing the road (very cliche to be sure), but they are out there. Rabbits. Everywhere. Gambel's Quail are pretty common. Hummingbirds at times. Desert tortoise, although I never sought one out, are supposed to be in the park. Squirrels are there. Toads at the dam.

There's wildlife for sure, but it's not as ubiquitous as in the northwestern parks. It's not like rolling through Zion and having a mule deer eating right next to you, or having to stop on the road in Yosemite for bears. For the most park the wildlife doesn't start showing up until sunset, and it tends to avoid people. Then again, I usually wasn't looking for it either. -?

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

01Ryan10
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Jul 08, 2017 13:50 |  #626

Things I've seen in the park every visit...

Squirrels
Rabbits
Lizards
Various insects

I saw a rattlesnake once. I know there are big horn sheep in the "Wonderland if Rocks" region, but I've never been there.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Jul 09, 2017 01:09 |  #627

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18397197 (external link)
There are lizards that you can find if you're patient. Rabbits. Everywhere. Gambel's Quail are pretty common. Hummingbirds at times. Desert tortoise, although I never sought one out, are supposed to be in the park. Squirrels are there. Toads at the dam.

It's not like rolling through Zion and having a mule deer eating right next to you, or having to stop on the road in Yosemite for bears.

Thanks so much for this information! I am actually every bit as interested in rabbits, lizards, and toads as I am in Mule Deer and bears. In fact, I would be more excited to get good opportunities with any of the JT species you mention than I would be to get Mule Deer or Bear opportunities.

I'm really hoping that I can figure out how to get down to JT either next February or the February of 2019.

PixelPusher
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2009
Surf City, USA - Left Coast
Post has been edited 5 months ago by PixelPusher.
Jul 09, 2017 12:47 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #628

Hi Tom,

My last trip back in March of this year. Some Road Runners will let you get VERY close, I had to actually back up a bit since it was too close for my 400. The Quail were a bit timid.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/Bird-upload1/i-dGWsNws/0/ec824781/XL/3G3A8294-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://cone.smugmug.c​om ...oad1/i-dGWsNws/A&lb=1&s=A] (external link)
Bird upload1 (external link) by cone (external link) on Smugmug

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/Bird-upload1/i-XJ98XQH/0/3cc2a05a/XL/3G3A8370-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://cone.smugmug.c​om ...oad1/i-XJ98XQH/A&lb=1&s=A] (external link)
Bird upload1 (external link) by cone (external link) on Smugmug

Robert
7DII, 7DI, 400D, 500 F4L IS, 400 F5.6L, 70-200 F2.8L IS, 17-55 F2.8 IS, 420EX, Gitzo 3541XLS, Wimberley WH-200 VII
SmugMug (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Jul 09, 2017 18:17 as a reply to PixelPusher's post |  #629

Holey Shamoley - absolutely gorgeous imagery!

PixelPusher
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2009
Surf City, USA - Left Coast
Jul 09, 2017 23:37 |  #630

Thanks Tom, really appreciate the comment means a lot coming from you. The trails next to the visitor center had the most tolerant birds and wildlife since they were probably used to seeing people. The trails out in the remote areas I must have scared everything away... :) I took a couple hikes and hardly saw a thing.

Robert
7DII, 7DI, 400D, 500 F4L IS, 400 F5.6L, 70-200 F2.8L IS, 17-55 F2.8 IS, 420EX, Gitzo 3541XLS, Wimberley WH-200 VII
SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links

104,446 views & 1490 likes for this thread
SoCal Thread Part III: Home of the Hackers, Yackers, and B.I.F.'s!!!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.