Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 04 Jan 2017 (Wednesday) 07:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Luminar from MacPhun

RMyers
Joined Dec 2009
Austin, TX
Post has been edited 10 months ago by RMyers.
Jan 04, 2017 07:13 |  #1

Anybody trying it out? I got it as during a pre-order discount, but have only just now had time to start to play with it. So far I'm finding lots to like about the actual editing, but am not happy about the file sizes when saving in their native format. 35mb RAW file from a EOS M5 with a Denoise layer and a Erase layer and some filters became over 300mb in size. Saving at a TIFF is a more normal TIFF size of ~100mb, but you lose the history and the layer info. And I still have the original RAW file. So you can end up with three or more versions lying around. The original RAW, the Luminar native with edits, and whatever format(s) you need for sharing/online.

Pros:

• easy editing
  • layers
  • plugins for many other tools
  • sharing to online hosts/sites built in
  • price

Cons:
  • large native file size
  • sharing tools seem to lose EXIF info (did when I exported to SmugMug)

Looking at it, it seems like I was complaining a lot, but I really do like how it works. I suspect I'll still do most of my work in Lightroom, but I can see me working on select images in Luminar.

Rusty
Austin, TX

sponsored links
WillMeades
Joined Apr 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Apr 12, 2017 10:26 |  #2

Are you still using Luminar? I’m interested to see if it would be worth the change for PS/LR. Can you post any before and afters?
thanks
Willard

Sony DSC-RX10, α7R II / ILCE-7RM2 | Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD | Sony FE 28mm F2, Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA, FE 85mm F1.4 GM | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

RMyers
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2009
Austin, TX
Apr 12, 2017 10:54 |  #3

Yes, I still use it, but LR is still my primary tool. My 20mb RAW files become 100mb+ files when I edit them in Luminar so I only use it for special edits. Kind of like I only go to Photoshop for special work.

So, the workflow is LR, plugin to Luminar, edit, back to LR. I like certain features like the layers. Oh, and the file size is big when I'm doing a native file format save. That keeps all the edit history. If I'm going back to LR then it is just a TIFF, but that is big too.

I'd have to dig through some files at home to find some I've done in both Luminar and LR. There are a bunch of editing videos on Youtube that can show you the basics too.

Rusty
Austin, TX

yaopey
Mostly Lurking
Joined Apr 2017
UK
Apr 12, 2017 13:28 |  #4

Correct me if I'm wrong. The file size gets bigger as you edit more in Luminar is because of the nature of non-destructive editing, no? It's the same as exporting Raw file from LR to PS for further post-processing, the file size will get larger as your layers build up. This can be solved by flattening all the layers, but to me, this totally defeats the purpose of non-destructive editing unless you're not thinking of re-editing the file in the future.

Fotographee (external link) - Learn how to create natural HDR images

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Apr 12, 2017 17:22 |  #5

yaopey wrote in post #18326137 (external link)
Correct me if I'm wrong. The file size gets bigger as you edit more in Luminar is because of the nature of non-destructive editing, no? It's the same as exporting Raw file from LR to PS for further post-processing, the file size will get larger as your layers build up. This can be solved by flattening all the layers, but to me, this totally defeats the purpose of non-destructive editing unless you're not thinking of re-editing the file in the future.

Yes this is true, but it seems that it is a little extreme in this case. Although I mostly just use LR, I now have a computer that can handle writing the edit data to XMP which lets you see just how much data Adobe stores for each edit. I have some images that have a lot of complex local brush work applied to them, and local brush seems to be the biggest method to get lots of data. Even so the largest xmp file on the computer is 16.5 MB, and of 36000+ xmp files only 113 are larger than 1 MB. 25300 of them, 70% of them are smaller than 10 KB! The xmp plus the original file are effectively the Adobe native format for RAW edits. This is somewhat different to requiring several hundred megabytes per edited image to save in the native format for Luminar, and you still have the original RAW file on top too.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

DavidFranks
Joined Jul 2012
Oklahoma
Jul 01, 2017 07:09 |  #6

Playing around with the latest version of Macphun's Luminar called Neptune.
Interesting software, worth taking a look if you haven't already

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Images by David Franks
Please do not Tag, Share or otherwise Re-Distribute any posted images without consent.
www.imagesbydavidfrank​s.com (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,620 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Atlanta
Jul 01, 2017 22:16 |  #7

Scott Kelby released a 2 hour course on Luminar on KelbyOne.

sponsored links

3,604 views & 2 likes for this thread
Luminar from MacPhun
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.