Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 24 May 2007 (Thursday) 12:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-= 1D MkIII Owners discuss =- and Post Your Pics

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Joined Apr 2011
May 09, 2017 21:49 as a reply to post 18350176 |  #9631

I talked to Canon today. When I put the serial number into the website, they said my 1D3 baby was unsupported. They gave a toll free number so I called. It was the Canon Loyalty Program number. They offered me $60 off the prices of new and refurbished cameras because I have a 1D3 and they want me to be loyal. I got prices for 5D3, 5D4, 1DX, but there was no 1DX2 available.

They transferred me to the repair techs and they confirmed that they won't touch my 1D3.

I put out a note in a local photog group and they pointed me to an independent shop about an hour from here. I'll take it up there in the next few days to have them give me an estimate.

dave

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

sponsored links
Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,619 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
May 09, 2017 22:02 |  #9632

cpam.pix wrote in post #18350575 (external link)
I talked to Canon today. When I put the serial number into the website, they said my 1D3 baby was unsupported. They gave a toll free number so I called. It was the Canon Loyalty Program number. They offered me $60 off the prices of new and refurbished cameras because I have a 1D3 and they want me to be loyal. I got prices for 5D3, 5D4, 1DX, but there was no 1DX2 available.

They transferred me to the repair techs and they confirmed that they won't touch my 1D3.

I put out a note in a local photog group and they pointed me to an independent shop about an hour from here. I'll take it up there in the next few days to have them give me an estimate.

dave

Good to know. Hope you can get it fixed. I only pushed it as I also had the mirror issue with the 5d classic. I purchased it after the deadline and after service had ended for the body. I called Canon service and after a little discussion they did allow me to send it in. It was worth a try.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Joined Apr 2011
May 09, 2017 22:10 as a reply to Chet's post |  #9633

Thank you. I appreciate the try.

I was at my son's graduation at THE Ohio State University this weekend when I discovered the malady. After I discovered the problem, I started shooting manual focus with the 1D3, 300/4, and 2xTC. I would take the 2x off at times because I was concerned that the IQ would go way down with it. I finally got to see the pictures today. I'm very happy with the results. I wasn't expecting that my manual focus skills would be as good as I found them to be.

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
uk
Post has been edited 6 months ago by bildeb0rg.
May 10, 2017 06:59 |  #9634

God no Chet, I just need to adjust my insurance. More than happy with my ancient mkIII and non i.s. 300 f2.8 :-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from bildeb0rg's gallery.

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,619 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
May 10, 2017 22:34 |  #9635

This is the truck in the shots.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-vVXh6zL/0/d5eec4a1/L/i-vVXh6zL-L.jpg

Original:

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-JJ3tzMP/0/a1b4cd0a/L/i-JJ3tzMP-L.jpg

Played with above and came up with this:

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Mzhdrgg/0/a701d6be/XL/i-Mzhdrgg-XL.jpg
Photo from Chet's gallery.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

shutterpat
Cream of the Crop
10,064 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Sep 2010
Orange, CA.
May 11, 2017 01:10 |  #9636

Silent Stare...

HOSTED PHOTO

Follow me --> https://www.instagram.​com/shutterpat/ (external link)

I'm ­ Sasquatch
Joined Sep 2008
Northern California
May 17, 2017 12:59 as a reply to post 18349661 |  #9637

Canon told me last year that they wouldn't touch my 1d3 for an error issue. They recommended a few places and I chose KEH. KEH had it back to me in no time. I don't recall what it cost although I do remember them having a flat fee to service cameras. I'm pleased with their service and would use them again if necessary.

Have a wheelie nice day!

I'm ­ Sasquatch
Joined Sep 2008
Northern California
May 17, 2017 13:00 |  #9638

Have a wheelie nice day!

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Joined Apr 2011
May 17, 2017 23:38 as a reply to I'm Sasquatch's post |  #9639

Thanks, I appreciate the information. I'll give them a call, too. It might be quicker to box it and send...I'm a boy scout this upcoming weekend.

Ranie ­ Dib
Joined Sep 2010
San Diego, CA
Jul 01, 2017 22:36 |  #9640

New owner here. Just got it earlier,shows some wear but still functions well. Tried it with my 17-40L, 100mm USM Macro and a 300/4 I borrowed from a friend, and this thing is amazing. AF is super fast and I am just using the simple settings for it, middle point only. Any advice on the AF settings on this? I shoot portraits and maybe some birds a few times. Nothing too fast like BIF.

Also what tips do you have on calibrating focus? I have a sigma 50/1.4 (non art) that focuses really well on my 5D, 1Ds, 1N and rebel Xti. Every other lens I tried on the 1d3 works perfectly so its just this combo of the 1d3 and Sigma 50. Tried it in low light and in a very well lit area outside.

And lastly, any good sources for batteries and chargers? I just want a spare, and the brand new charger and battery from canon will cost me $500, double what I got the camera for.

www.raniedib.com (external link)

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
uk
Jul 02, 2017 01:03 |  #9641

I think sterlingtek and wasabi were popular battery choices, but you may have wait on a used charger or take the hit on a new one. I don't imagine too many people still using this body for birds, so recommendations for settings may have to be searched for in this thread. Same goes for lens calibration. Still, a cracking price on a very capable body.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,703 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jul 02, 2017 02:36 |  #9642

Be sure to set custom function 1-14,.. this post on 1-14 might give you some other ideas as well;

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=346947

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Ranie ­ Dib
Joined Sep 2010
San Diego, CA
Jul 02, 2017 22:14 |  #9643

Thanks for the information. Sadly I will have to return the camera. I was editing some pictures I took today (the AF is awesome and it's not that heavy at all, ergonomics are amazing) but there seems to be a scratch and smudge in the sensor. It was nice to use with my 100 USM macro. Took it to the zoo earlier.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Jul 03, 2017 06:56 |  #9644

Ranie Dib wrote in post #18392881 (external link)
Sadly I will have to return the camera. I was editing some pictures I took today (the AF is awesome and it's not that heavy at all, ergonomics are amazing) but there seems to be a scratch and smudge in the sensor.

Maybe it only looks like a scratch and it's just a dirty sensor. If so, they can clean it for you without a problem.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Ranie ­ Dib
Joined Sep 2010
San Diego, CA
Jul 03, 2017 13:02 |  #9645

Thank you for th insight, showed it to a friend of mine who is more versed in the technical side of cameras and he says it's just a smudge. I am very reliived. Can I use the regular eclipse cleaner for a wet clean? We used a blower and it did not work. My friend uses eclipse for his Sony cameras but I am not sure with this one.

sponsored links

1,562,775 views & 726 likes for this thread
-= 1D MkIII Owners discuss =- and Post Your Pics
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.