Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 30 Jun 2017 (Friday) 11:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photobucket Goes Rogue

bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
From Blackpool UK to Brisbane Australia 20 yrs ago
Post has been edited 3 months ago by bidkev.
Jul 02, 2017 19:59 |  #61

Wilt wrote in post #18392742 (external link)
Thx.

Flickr, Zenfolio, SmugMug...

Since we have three candidates, and perhaps more to come, how about users mention some of their perceptions of what Cons/Irritants they feel exist for their chosen picture sharing site?

I use smugmug as my website as I like the ability to format easily and also sell a few images without much effort. Being an old fart with a lack of tech expertise and limited income I just love how easy smugmug has made the presentation my images for me Might look a bit amateurish compared to most, but I'm happy with it https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/ (external link)

Flickr for embedding here, https://www.flickr.com​/photos/bidkev/ (external link) and alamy for stock sales. I also use Redbubble for selling prints but sales are slow on there. Alamy has produced most of my sales for me, mainly editorial, not that I'm that bothered about selling but it's nice to get a few sales to finance my hobby

See my fish and fishy photography tips here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Canon 7D mk2 | Canon 6D, 100-400L mk2, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100 Macro | 24 EF-S 2.8 STM |Canon 1.4 Ex Mklll | Canon 580EXll| Kenko 12,20,36 Ext tubes |

sponsored links
Sibil
Goldmember
4,902 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Jul 02, 2017 21:40 |  #62

I was probably first, around POTN, who got hit with the PB change of policy, about 10 days ago. I was very upset and still am. I removed all my photos from PB and closed my account. I was using about 18% of my free account limit.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,950 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jul 02, 2017 22:12 |  #63

Sibil wrote in post #18392861 (external link)
I was probably first, around POTN, who got hit with the PB change of policy, about 10 days ago. I was very upset and still am. I removed all my photos from PB and closed my account. I was using about 18% of my free account limit.

I may have got hit at the same time. You noticed immediately because you were still uploading to PB. I haven't put any new images there since 2015. Unfortunately, most of my gallery is older than that and will take quite a while to restore.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Jul 03, 2017 06:31 |  #64

When choosing a free image host always ensure that it does not compress your image. I have just done a quick test on 3 of them:

1. imgBB (external link) - uncompressed and retains EXIF data

2. PI.GY (external link) - enlarged a trial image bur stripped the EXIF data!

3. CUBEUPLOAD (external link) - uncompressed and retains EXIF data

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

Sibil
Goldmember
4,902 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Jul 03, 2017 07:56 |  #65

OhLook wrote in post #18392879 (external link)
Unfortunately, most of my gallery is older than that and will take quite a while to restore.

Since I have removed all my photos, there is no restoring for me :-(

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,950 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Jul 03, 2017 11:40 |  #66

Sibil wrote in post #18393075 (external link)

Oh, no! Don't you have backups?

This is what I'm doing. It's slow, but it works. After Photobucket's ad replaced my images in threads, my gallery still had all the thumbnails. Click/tap a thumbnail to go to the post. Click/tap EDIT to view the image and read its link at PB. The name of the link includes whatever you called the image in your own files. I name images with a short title and a date, like this: stilllife2.15.14 or pigeons11.3.16. I use the name to find the image in a folder on the Desktop. Within each folder, the Mac shows the contents alphabetically by name. Once in a while, the image isn't there (don't know why; I suspect that one folder was lost in the recent migration) and I have to go to a flash drive, the real backup. To edit the post, I delete the PB link and upload the original image.

The limit for uploading images is two. If a post had more at PB, and you haven't hired another hosting site, you can do without the extra images or make new posts for them. A post with several related images, such as a sequence in insect metamorphosis or a bird fight or a visual recipe, presents a problem. For one thing, to start over means losing continuity if there were replies after the first post.

If a reply quoted a PB image that you replace, the thumbnail in the reply is PB's ad.

If you posted the image in more than one place . . . Many of my gallery items came from the Colors Game or A–Z game in Competitions and were repeats of images posted in other forums originally. I don't have a practical way to find the original post so I can upload the image there.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,005 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Wilt. 9 edits done in total.
Jul 03, 2017 11:49 |  #67

Sibil wrote in post #18393075 (external link)

OhLook wrote:

I am in a similar predicament, in not having backups necessarily. Much of the time, I specifically create illustrations for a discussion thread to illustrate a principle or test result, post the JPG on Photobucket, then delete the JPG file from my computer. I don't generally put stuff in my POTN Gallery, because my purpose is NOT to 'show off' examples of my photographic works.

When PB breaks my links, I will be without replacement illustrations for all of my posts with links over the past 10+ years. So it will become immediately obvious to anyone reading 2300 of my posts on various forums that Photobucket is a money grubbing bunch of greedy batards. And, unless I can easily find and download the same illustrations to a new photo sharing site and I update links in the forums in which the illustration link is used, I will leave the visible and free bad press against PB up for all to see, and PB will get what it deserves from its actions for time ad infinitum. Just desserts.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

scriveyn
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Post has been edited 3 months ago by scriveyn.
Jul 03, 2017 11:51 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #68

Two more tips:

• When logged into your PB account and looking at a gallery/folder there is a link on the right which lets you download all images (not movies) in that gallery as a .ZIP file (easier than looking for them in umpty folders on your HD)
  • The POTN search function lets you list all your posts that contain a given text, such as photobucket

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,005 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Wilt.
Jul 03, 2017 12:27 |  #69

scriveyn wrote in post #18393245 (external link)
Two more tips:

• When logged into your PB account and looking at a gallery/folder there is a link on the right which lets you download all images (not movies) in that gallery as a .ZIP file (easier than looking for them in umpty folders on your HD)
  • The POTN search function lets you list all your posts that contain a given text, such as photobucket

Thx for that first tip, as it would help to render my POTN posts of more value when broken links are fixed...it makes it easier for me to NOT give PB bad press via its broken links, however! :rolleyes:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,950 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Jul 03, 2017 13:11 |  #70

Wilt wrote in post #18393244 (external link)
When PB breaks my links, I will be without replacement illustrations for all of my posts with links over the past 10+ years.

I'm leaving my (free) PB account open for a while yet because I don't know whether the links will disappear when the account is closed. In fact, I don't have a reason to close the account except to stick a finger in PB's eye.

Would the Wayback Machine (external link) help?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,596 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jul 03, 2017 13:57 |  #71

digital paradise wrote in post #18392615 (external link)
I use Zenfolio for my website. I use PB for posting here. I make diagrams, for flash bouncing demos, etc that I don't want on my site.

With Zenfolio, you can make "hidden galleries " that you can link to or embed the images as you see fit, or provide the link to others,. but they don't show up in the front page. for you to get access to them you need to log into the admin "dashboard"

Just fyi,. it's where I keep my "for sale" pics etc.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,596 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by PhotosGuy with reason '"sight" typo'. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 03, 2017 14:00 |  #72

Wilt wrote in post #18392742 (external link)
Thx.

Flickr, Zenfolio, SmugMug...

Since we have three candidates, and perhaps more to come, how about users mention some of their perceptions of what Cons/Irritants they feel exist for their chosen picture sharing site?

After my first image host site went belly up and left me in a similar situation, (about 10 years of online photos sharing and nothing but dead links to show for it) I spent a lot of time researching and deciding where to go next.

I have been with Zenfolio since.
They have never bugged me for anything, not changed the look or feel,. though the behind the scenes mechanics have improved. It is a VERY scale-able system, with options for marketing and selling should I need them.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,815 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Jul 03, 2017 14:19 |  #73

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18393344 (external link)
With Zenfolio, you can make "hidden galleries " that you can link to or embed the images as you see fit, or provide the link to others,. but they don't show up in the front page. for you to get access to them you need to log into the admin "dashboard"

Just fyi,. it's where I keep my "for sale" pics etc.

Thanks. I was wondering about that and I was going to check it out.

Image Editing OK

Websiteexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Sibil
Goldmember
4,902 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Sibil.
Jul 03, 2017 15:28 |  #74

OhLook wrote in post #18393239 (external link)

I have all my pictures. The originals, as well as the edited and downsized ones which I stored on PB and linked to in POTN.
When this first happened to me, I searched up and down the POTN and noticed, at that time, nobody's PB links were restricted. I felt singled out by PB and the hideous logo appearing under my user name, all over POTN, caused me great embarrassment. That's when I deleted all my photos and closed my account in the hopes that the repulsive logo would go away, which it did.
Ironically, as I was deleting my photos on PB, I became somewhat disappointed by what I had been posting on POTN; lots of snapshots without much photographic merit. So I need to rethink where I want to take my photography hobby; how and where I need to improve (if I can at all); finding a vision for myself, before being concerned with re-uploading my images. Thanks for the tips on how to do it, though.

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,460 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Southern Nevada and Idaho
Jul 03, 2017 16:20 |  #75

Sibil wrote in post #18393436 (external link)
I have all my pictures. The originals, as well as the edited and downsized ones which I stored on PB and linked to in POTN.
When this first happened to me, I searched up and down the POTN and noticed, at that time, nobody's PB links was restricted. I felt singled out by PB and the hideous logo appearing under my user name, all over POTN, caused me great embarrassment. That's when I deleted all my photos and closed my account in the hopes that the repulsive logo would go away, which it did.
Ironically, as I was deleting my photos on PB, I became somewhat disappointed by what I had been posting on POTN; lots of snapshots without much photographic merit. So I need to rethink where I want to take my photography hobby; how and where I need to improve (if I can at all); finding a vision for myself, before being concerned with re-uploading my images. Thanks for the tips on how to do it, though.

Just as the Phoenix rose from the ashes. A new start. :-)

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

sponsored links

24,485 views & 122 likes for this thread
Photobucket Goes Rogue
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.