Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 20 Feb 2015 (Friday) 15:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, reviewed by CyberDyneSystems

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND CyberDyneSystems (showing now: CyberDyneSystems)
Overall Rating9.5
Overall Image Quality9.5
Value for Money9
Must Have10
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance9.5
Handling and Ergonomics9.5
User-interface9.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 1D Mark IV

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,815 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Jul 03, 2017 14:45 |  #16

From an AF POV and an IQ POV I found the 1D4 / 5D3 to be very similar quality.
So it's a tough question. When you say "night photography" are you talking about astro? If so you might want to ask the astro shooters,.

Also if you really like wide angle lenses, go for the FF 5D3. Unlike APS-C sensor bodies,. the APS-H sensor size in the 1D4 means you can not take advantage of low cost high quality EF-S lenses. Your FF lenses will not be as wide angle.

for bird photography, I would chose the 1D4.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Magnus3D
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Gothenburg, Sweden
Nov 06, 2017 16:52 |  #17

Is anyone still using this old workhorse anymore or have you all upgraded to the latest and greatest Canon has to offer ?

/ Magnus

| Lots of cheap camera gear |

CH_Devin
Joined Sep 2009
San Francisco, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by CH_Devin.
Nov 06, 2017 20:39 |  #18

Great review. It still rings true, years later. I just picked up a used 1D4 with 30k on the shutter for $1195 to photograph sports. I find it much more efficient than a full frame cameras.

80mm ish

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,815 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Nov 06, 2017 21:05 |  #19

Magnus, I still dust mine off every now and then.

Myself and Dave both used mine in Botswana this past August,. and I use it alongside my 5D4 for portrait and group senior photos for my Wife's school.

There is a thread that remains pretty active here on POTN as well.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=809332

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,768 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 06, 2017 23:58 |  #20

I sold mine. Wrecked my motorcycle and my arm. Needed something lighter. Iloved that body, fantastically customizable.

Tom

CH_Devin
Joined Sep 2009
San Francisco, CA
Nov 07, 2017 01:22 |  #21

Bassat wrote in post #18490491 (external link)
I sold mine. Wrecked my motorcycle and my arm. Needed something lighter. Iloved that body, fantastically customizable.

that sucks. i hope you feel better and make a full recovery.

80mm ish

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Nov 07, 2017 02:11 |  #22

I have 2 1D4 cameras. One I bought new ($5k) the other used from a POTN member. Bought mainly for aviation photography.

About a year ago I added the 80D to my gear collection. I wanted to see how the 1.6 crop, 24mp sensor would benefit over 1D4. I was not disappointed, especially when capturing those little aerobatic planes high in the sky. And IQ between the two cameras is very close.

The most important benefit to me is how my keeper rate increased when using the 300 f2.8 IS II and 2xIII on the 80D. AF at 600 mm seems much improved over the 1D4. My current air show setup is the 300/2x/80D and Sigma 150-600 /1D4. This makes a pretty good pair.

Sadly, my other 1D4 doesn't see much use. I might have to find a new home for him.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Bassat
6,768 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 07, 2017 03:24 |  #23

CH_Devin wrote in post #18490527 (external link)
that sucks. i hope you feel better and make a full recovery.

Thanks. Working on it.

Tom

Bassat
6,768 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 07, 2017 03:26 as a reply to Perfectly Frank's post |  #24

Agreed. My80 has AF asGood as 1d4.

Tom

CH_Devin
Joined Sep 2009
San Francisco, CA
Nov 07, 2017 04:17 |  #25

The main reason I got the 1D4 is that, when paired with the 24-70mm, or a lens like the 17-40mm, it gives me a range that I can't get on another body.

80mm ish

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Nov 07, 2017 11:45 |  #26

I'll probably pick up an 80D refurb for my wife in the not to distant future, so I'll be able to compare it first hand with my 1D IV's.

I went the opposite direction for now... bought a pristine 1D IV as a back up for now (come to think of it, I guess I did a parallel move instead). Man, I was shocked... it's like new.. not a scratch on it and it came packaged just like it was new as well. I still have to do the micro focusing adjustments on it, but I suspect, it won't need much unless I have the 1.4x teleconverter on.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,815 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Nov 07, 2017 11:57 |  #27

CH_Devin wrote in post #18490599 (external link)
The main reason I got the 1D4 is that, when paired with the 24-70mm, or a lens like the 17-40mm, it gives me a range that I can't get on another body.

When I first went DSLR, APS-C was all that was available really, then I got my first 1D, and THAT was the "ff" option. (Of course 1Ds came along, but at $8K and slow frame rates, I was not interested.)

So the 1D 1.3x on all the 1D bodies up to the MkIV was THE sensor size for me from 2003 up to 2013 or so when I finally got a 5D3.

I still love the field of view ranges I get when I use the 1D4,. my widest remain wide enough, and my teles feel a bit longer. Both 5D3 and 7D2 were Canon's first real options in affordable FF and APS-C respectively that could compare favorably in performance to a 1D body. However, neither of those really left me feeling that the 1D4 was lacking. It was not until I traded the 5D3 for the 5D4 that I finally had a camera that left the 1D4 looking a little long in the tooth.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Phoenixkh.
Nov 07, 2017 12:00 |  #28

It would be fun if Canon brought back the APS-H with the current technologies available.... with 1DX 2 and 5D IV sensor improvements... but APS-H. Of course, this isn't likely but it would still be fun.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Magnus3D
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Gothenburg, Sweden
Nov 07, 2017 13:43 |  #29

Thank you very much guys for all your replies, i appreciate it! after spending all day browsing trough the entire photo thread linked above i'm now convinced it performs very well. Sure it's no 1DX or 1DX2 but those cameras costs a lot more than this puppy. So i caved and placed my order on a used one in mint condition. It should be here on Thursday or Friday if all goes well with the lousy postal service.

/ Magnus

| Lots of cheap camera gear |

CH_Devin
Joined Sep 2009
San Francisco, CA
Nov 07, 2017 17:35 |  #30

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18490902 (external link)
When I first went DSLR, APS-C was all that was available really, then I got my first 1D, and THAT was the "ff" option. (Of course 1Ds came along, but at $8K and slow frame rates, I was not interested.)

So the 1D 1.3x on all the 1D bodies up to the MkIV was THE sensor size for me from 2003 up to 2013 or so when I finally got a 5D3.

I still love the field of view ranges I get when I use the 1D4,. my widest remain wide enough, and my teles feel a bit longer. Both 5D3 and 7D2 were Canon's first real options in affordable FF and APS-C respectively that could compare favorably in performance to a 1D body. However, neither of those really left me feeling that the 1D4 was lacking. It was not until I traded the 5D3 for the 5D4 that I finally had a camera that left the 1D4 looking a little long in the tooth.

Fascinating.

80mm ish

sponsored links

8,905 views & 23 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, reviewed by CyberDyneSystems
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.