Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 01 Jul 2017 (Saturday) 07:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A favour for friends in a sticky situation.

rob28
Joined May 2012
Dryden, ON. Canada.
Jul 01, 2017 07:21 |  #1

Friends are getting married in 3 weeks time and they recently found out their photographer has double booked and is unable to do their wedding. No one else is available in the area for that date.
They know I'm into photography and made enquiries if I'd be willing take some photos. I've said yes as I want it to be one less thing for them to worry about - but I've made it perfectly clear that I'm not a 'people' photographer usually. I do landscape, wildlife, night sky etc. But I'll do research and try my best to make it work.
I'm not a pro, I've never made any money from my photos and have never wanted to. And I'm not asking anything for this.

So basically, I'm now panicing but also rather excited - and need advice.
I only have one body - the 6D. Should I try and borrow another body? It would probably be a crop sensor like a Rebel xx if I can borrow one.
What lenses are recommended. I have the 16-35 and 24-105 and I'm thinking they should cover most scenarios. Would a 70-200 f/2.8 be beneficial? The nifty 50 will be in the bag too.
I have my 100-400 but I'm thinking that may be overkill.

Need to practice with the 430EX flash so I'm more comfortable with that too.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Canon EOS 6D, Powershot G3 X | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

sponsored links
devin07
88 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Ft Frances, ON Canada
Jul 02, 2017 10:20 |  #2

I agree, the 100-400 would be too much. Definitely, the nifty fifty for low light. Do you have flash to boost natural?
Make sure you generate a list of 'must get' shots. Lots of lists available on internet & review with couple to help meet expectations.

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Sin City, Vegas
Jul 03, 2017 14:25 |  #3

See if you can't rent what you might need, call around .. I dunno about Canada, but when I fly to Hawaii, I rent what I can't bring ....
By looking at your Gallery alone, I have a lot of faith that you'll do well ... get an itinerary from the Bride and look at a lot of photos on the net lol!

G'luck man ... you got this .. :-D

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jul 03, 2017 14:39 |  #4

Plan, plan, plan.

Get the itinerary and plan out where you have to be and when. Make sure someone texts you when it changes at the last minute.

Have back-ups for everything.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,008 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Wilt. 5 edits done in total.
Jul 03, 2017 14:57 |  #5

As a wedding veteran, I offer the following bits of wisdom...

• 24-105mm will be just perfect for use to cover 90 to 95+% of FF format shots
  • Do not borrow or rent a camera model for which you are NOT already INTIMATELY FAMILIAR...a wedding is not the place to have the problem, "I wonder how I get this camera to do ...(whatever)"
  • You have one of the finest high-ISO low noise cameras, which makes up for not having f/2.8 lenses
  • DON"T get really close to individuals/groups and shoot at 24mm, it is far too prone to allowing you to induce perspective distortion, which exaggerates the size of the closest body parts

On the topic of induced perspective distortion...
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Principles/InducedPerspectiveDistortion_zpsghwc0i3p.jpg
...Ann and Andy are identical in size, but in this photo Ann looks to be twice as large (and 4X the bulk)...Imagine Ann is an amble-bodied lady next to her Jack Sprat husband, she would not be happy with the photo! Ann's right hand appears twice the bulk of her left hand...imagine how the exaggeration to busom size would look.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jul 03, 2017 14:58 |  #6

When I did weddings, it was with a Hasselblad and three lenses, the 50mm, 80mm and 150mm. Lessee - what's the crop factor for that? ;-)a Never mind, with your 6D you should be able to do most with a 50 and 80mm, and 28 to 35mm for tight shots inside. Of course if you want to get creative, there is no limit to what you might need. But for most shots, you are more than covered. Almost all my indoor shots were with flash, so I did not need fast lenses. The main exception was the shot of the bride at the window.

If you have any influence over timing, ask for there to be sufficient time for picture taking. Many weddings are rushed because of optimistic planning, and that stresses everybody out. Photos taken under stress won't be the best.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

rob28
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2012
Dryden, ON. Canada.
Jul 03, 2017 16:55 |  #7

Thank you so much for all the replies - you're helping to ease my tension slightly..

Canon EOS 6D, Powershot G3 X | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

sponsored links

1,586 views & 3 likes for this thread
A favour for friends in a sticky situation.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.