Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 03 Jun 2017 (Saturday) 12:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Moon with new Olympus Camera

mjcarson
176 posts
Joined Apr 2009
SF Bay Area, CA USA
Jun 03, 2017 12:31 |  #1

The new Olympus E-M1 Mark II can fire off up to 60 fps with its 20mp sensor. The catch is, auto-focus is disabled at that speed. So many asked, what is the point to that speed without focus. Well, I thought it may work great for hi rez shots with a telescope and stacking images. Typically I have experimented with moon or planet images with web cams or dedicated planetary imagers, with good results, but nothing with the resolution of the Olympus. So, for the first time I tested the theory, good seeing last night. Slapped the camera onto my 90mm scope (630 FL) and focused fairly easily with live view and fired off 80 shots in about 1.5 seconds (basically until the buffer started slowing down.) Kept the best 60% in Registax, so about 50 images. Entire time, including scope set up and processing, maybe 25-30 minutes, magnitudes less time than previous endeavors of a similar target where I have to set up laptops, focus is much more difficult, setting up the imagers is more difficult, wiring it all together, etc. Can't wait to try it with my 777 FL scope and an 11-inch SCT, but those take a lot longer to set up, but will see how it works on planetary with the SCT.

Anyway, just sharing my findings to any interested. Not claiming to be an expert at this photography, but this was both the easiest to take and best moon image I have taken to date so maybe some good info for a beginner.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Matt
Stellarvue 90mm Fluorite, AstroTech 111mm and 72mm, Celestron CPS 1100, Losmandy GM-8, Olympus EM1.2, Modified Canon 450D and modified Olympus EM5. Obviously more gear than talent.

sponsored links
-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Post has been edited 4 months ago by -Duck-.
Jun 03, 2017 12:38 |  #2

My first reaction was, "are you nuts? Using a moon image to discuss high frame rates? That's ridiculous!"

Then I read the rest of the post and it all made sense. I am not an astrophotographer so I can honestly say, "I learned something new today."

Thanks for this info. Great stuff and really impressive image.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

jgoetz4
Joined Dec 2005
Hanover, Pa-Baltimore, Md
Jun 03, 2017 18:39 |  #3

Nice shot :-)

6D, SL1, 10-22 (modified for the 6D) 50 1.8 STM, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, 70-300L IS, Da Bigma, Kenko Pro 1.4x tc
Fuji X-E1 and a bunch of glass
Fuji X100
Sky-Watcher 8'' Dobsonian

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,855 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jun 03, 2017 19:01 |  #4

Results look great, to me!

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Jun 25, 2017 04:51 |  #5

ohhhh that is crisp !!

very well done

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

gguy123
42 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Jun 25, 2017 08:54 |  #6

great moon shot

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,657 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Jun 26, 2017 08:23 |  #7

Very neat and sharp image of the moon.

I am really trying to learn about how to do an image of the moon with stacking method, i did shoot a video for about 30 seconds, but i didn't know how to process the frames, and the moon was moving in every second of the frames, so i am not sure if it will work or not, the sensor of the camera is very very small so even with my 80mm [400mm] achro scope the moon filled the frame and in very few seconds i managed to keep the full circle in the frame before it is moving and cutting the moon slightly, i did use SharpCap for capturing and RegiStax but didn't success.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Jun 26, 2017 08:36 |  #8

Davenn wrote in post #18386416 (external link)
ohhhh that is crisp !!

very well done

Dave

I agree , actually too crisp .

DLafon
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2017
Jun 27, 2017 14:19 |  #9

Wonderful, thanks for sharing!

stronics
54 posts
Joined Sep 2013
NE Ohio
Jul 03, 2017 18:04 |  #10

Now that is awesome, great thinking going on.
David

sponsored links

1,055 views & 10 likes for this thread
Moon with new Olympus Camera
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.