Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 01 Jul 2017 (Saturday) 13:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro Compatibility

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by TreeburnerCT.
Jul 01, 2017 13:02 |  #1

I have a Tamron 90mm VC Macro and it does not operate properly in Live View on my 80D so I'm selling it (check the for sale forum if you're interested).

I'm considering the Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro, but can anyone confirm it will work in Live View on my 80D? Tamron didn't list this lens with the others with compatibility issues, but would like some confirmation before I shell out any more money for lenses that won't work on my 80D.

Thanks,
Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,260 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jul 01, 2017 15:50 |  #2

I recommend contacting Tamron, both about your present lens with problem, and about any new Tamron lenses you are considering!!!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,018 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Jul 01, 2017 15:57 |  #3

Wilt wrote in post #18391900 (external link)
I recommend contacting Tamron, both about your present lens with problem, and about any new Tamron lenses you are considering!!!

Yup... ^^^^ What he said ^^^

My 24-70 would not work in live view on a 5D4. Sent it in to Tamron for a free firmware update.

They updated it, cleaned and inspected everything and sent it back.

TreeburnerCT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jul 01, 2017 20:04 |  #4

I bought the lens used off eBay so I don't have the original receipt or even know if it was grey market or not, so I doubt I'll be able to get any help from Tamron unless I want to shell out $250 for a firmware upgrade. I will contact them though and see what they say.

As far as the original question, does anyone have any experience using the Tamron 60mm f/2 with an 80D in Live View?

Thanks,
Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,018 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Scoobert. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 01, 2017 20:16 |  #5

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18392067 (external link)
I bought the lens used off eBay so I don't have the original receipt or even know if it was grey market or not, so I doubt I'll be able to get any help from Tamron unless I want to shell out $250 for a firmware upgrade. I will contact them though and see what they say.

As far as the original question, does anyone have any experience using the Tamron 60mm f/2 with an 80D in Live View?

Thanks,
Joe

Definitely contact tamron. The lens I sent in was used (purchased here on the forums), all they cared about was that it was a US model and inside the 6 year warranty. Both things they can tell by the SN#.
But from my dealings with them they dont charge for firmware updates even for out of warranty lenses, unless they are import models.

Dont underestimate Tamrons customer support. I have found them to be excellent and do anything to help.

Here is my last exchange with them.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Custserv <custserv@tamron.com> wrote:
Hello Mr. Alter,

Thank you for contacting Tamron. I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having with your lens. We do indeed have a firmware update that will make this compatible. There is no charge for the update.

If you would like to send it in for the update, please fill out the attached service form, and include a copy of your proof of purchase OR your warranty confirmation number.

Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:31 PM
To: Custserv
Subject: Re: Warranty

Thank you Brian, I bought this used and have receipts of the original owner and of other times it has been to Tamron for warranty repair​. Will that be sufficient?

Thanks for you help

Hello,

Yes, that should be fine. Typically we would not charge for the update regardless but it would be good to have the purchase date on file (If we don't already.)

Kind regards,

Customer Service Supervisor
Tamron USA, INC

TreeburnerCT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by TreeburnerCT. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 03, 2017 18:25 |  #6

I heard back from Tamron today after giving them the serial number off the lens, and unfortunately it's a grey market lens so they won't touch it. Fortunately I didn't pay too much for it and it's in great condition, so I'm sure it will find a new home.

Also, they would not give me a straight answer about the 60mm macro and wanted the serial number on that lens before they would give me an answer.

-Joe

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,678 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2005
silicon valley
Jul 12, 2017 02:23 |  #7

maybe it's time to consider the 60mm canon, or do you thrive on the stress and intrigue :-P?

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 430exII, gitzo 3542, markins Q10, kirk, really right stuff

TreeburnerCT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jul 12, 2017 06:56 |  #8

I ended up ordering a used Tamron 60mm Macro off eBay, and found it is NOT fully compatible with the 80D, failing to lock focus in Live View but rather just continually searching for focus. Fortunately this one is a US model as confirmed by the serial number, and Tamron is going to update the firmware free of charge. Everything else works properly so I could have used it with the viewfinder if I needed AF and just used MF in Live View, but since the update is free I'm taking advantage and sending my lens in - it's only going one state over, so it should be back in my hands in no time.

-Joe

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,018 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Jul 12, 2017 07:03 |  #9

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18400168 (external link)
I ended up ordering a used Tamron 60mm Macro off eBay, and found it is NOT fully compatible with the 80D, failing to lock focus in Live View but rather just continually searching for focus. Fortunately this one is a US model as confirmed by the serial number, and Tamron is going to update the firmware free of charge. Everything else works properly so I could have used it with the viewfinder if I needed AF and just used MF in Live View, but since the update is free I'm taking advantage and sending my lens in - it's only going one state over, so it should be back in my hands in no time.

-Joe

Thats awesome, Says a lot about tamron to me.

TreeburnerCT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jul 12, 2017 09:10 |  #10

The problem with Tamron is they will not touch grey market lenses for any cost, and with so many of their older but great lenses having firmware issues with newer bodies if you can't get a firmware update you're screwed. I would think it would be better business strategy to service grey market lenses, but charge a significant fee where grey market lens + repair cost always comes to more than the cost of a US model. I think this would allow them to continue to take a harsh stand against unauthorized imports, but not alienate potential customers who would then be more likely to purchase the US model the next time around. Just my $0.02.

-Joe

TreeburnerCT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jul 20, 2017 06:55 |  #11

After sending my Tamron 60mm f/2 macro in for a free firmware update it still isn't functioning properly in Live View on my 80D. The work order said "fix Live View function for 80D compatibility", but unfortunately it seems as though nothing was actually done to the lens because it still doesn't lock focus and instead hunts repeatedly. In the future I'll stick with Sigma and Canon lenses.

-Joe

sponsored links

2,323 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro Compatibility
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.