Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 01 Apr 2017 (Saturday) 18:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New Foundland ?

Dean ­ Humphrey
547 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Oklahoma City Ok.
Apr 01, 2017 18:33 |  #1

I've seen a lot of the US, including Hawaii, with retirement coming in the next few years and the reality of a fixed income, I would like one last epic photo expedition. My Wife would love Hawaii again and so would I, but I was trying to think of an awesome alternative. New Foundland and Nova Scotia come to mind. Has anyone here tried the sightseeing tours available in New Foundland? Was it good? Have you gone and explored on your own perhaps?
Thanks

My Stuff 1D MK IV, 5D MK II,1D MK II, 100-400L, 28-70 2.8L, 580EX II, 70-200 2.8L IS,17-40 f4L. www.humphreyimages.netexternal link

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,611 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Apr 01, 2017 18:56 |  #2

Places I love in Newfoundland,

- Cape St. Marys: Amazing scenic landscape, and Gannets nesting. A nice motel with a water view minutes away.

- Avalon / Ferry land: A great lighthouse,. and wonderful walking trails. View of a sea cave mouth.

- Cape Bona Vista: Whales, Puffins and more almost always in sight from shore, where again amazing landscapes will tempt you. Beautiful lighthouse etc.

- Trinity: A good place to eat well, and even see theatre. Whale watches,. (though Bona Vista likely better for that) Beautiful bay and scenery. (seeing a theme here) Rocky's bar!

- Tickle Cove, Red cliff: Not on many lists, but a sweet community, and the red cliff is amazing with a natural arch/tunnel over the water.

- Gros Morne national park: Western Brook pond fjord etc.

With the exception of Gros Morne, this is all relatively nearby and easily gotten too via rental car. Gros Morne is on the Western Coast, so a bit of a trip to get to. The rest is all quite near St. Johns

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Bsmooth
853 posts
Joined Feb 2005
New England
Apr 02, 2017 06:36 |  #3

A few years ago we did the whole of Nova Scotia. Yes squeezed in all into about a week. Not enough time for sure, but the scenery and people were fantastic. I am also getting ready for retirement and have not seem much of the US at all, so not sure of how or what to comapre it to.
Coming from New England i thought we had it down as far as seafood, but the scallops up there or beyond comparison, as is what they call ice wine. All I can say is just try it.
Yes and also its one of the cleanest places I've ever seen. The thing I can't stress enough is the people themselves, there very friendly indeed. Just take your time(I wish we could have) and take it all in. Hopefully you also get to see Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island as well.

Bruce

Dean ­ Humphrey
THREAD ­ STARTER
547 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Oklahoma City Ok.
Apr 02, 2017 14:12 |  #4

thanks Guys awesome info, just what I wanted to hear. Bsmooth, if you haven't explored the west cost, you really should try to take in Oregon and California (places I've been) and Yosemite, all amazing.

My Stuff 1D MK IV, 5D MK II,1D MK II, 100-400L, 28-70 2.8L, 580EX II, 70-200 2.8L IS,17-40 f4L. www.humphreyimages.netexternal link

Dean ­ Humphrey
THREAD ­ STARTER
547 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Oklahoma City Ok.
Apr 02, 2017 21:24 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #5

All I can say is WOW, I googled images of these places, so amazing.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Apr 03, 2017 16:08 |  #6

Dean Humphrey wrote in post #18317659 (external link)
thanks Guys awesome info, just what I wanted to hear. Bsmooth, if you haven't explored the west cost, you really should try to take in Oregon and California (places I've been) and Yosemite, all amazing.

...and the Grand Tetons should also not be missed. Suggested timing is to include July 4th at which time the place goes crazy patriotic in a fun way.

...also Glacier National Park. The suggested timing is again early July because after leaving the park at the Northeast corner it is about a three hour drive to Calgary. Allow about three days for the Calgary Stampede and local events, then head west for Lake Louise, Banff, etc., then drive south to Kalispel MT to fly home

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,611 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 6 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Apr 03, 2017 16:28 |  #7

Dean Humphrey wrote in post #18317952 (external link)
All I can say is WOW, I googled images of these places, so amazing.

Indeed, here's some from my trip in 2005;
http://jakehegnauer.ze​nfolio.com/p192229757/​slideshow (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

shane_c
607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Halifax, NS, Canada
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by shane_c. 3 edits done in total.
Apr 04, 2017 14:21 |  #8

There is certainly a lot to see and photograph. I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Some of the touristy spots around here are Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Chester and Annapolis Royal. Halifax is an interesting city too with a nice waterfront and lots of History. The Halifax Citadel, Pier 21 and Maritime Museum of the Atlantic are pretty cool.

A few hours NE of Halifax is Cape Breton Island. I'd recommend driving the Cabot Trail if you'd like to see some great scenery. Also if you are a history buff a visit to Fortress Louisburg on Cape Breton should be on your list. The Alexander Graham Bell museum and village of Baddeck are nice too.

As for Newfoundland, I've only been there once but it was an amazing place. We spent a week hiking/camping in Gros Morne.

It's pretty easy to get around up here so personally I'd go on my own instead of a tour so you don't have time restrictions. But it really depends on your comfort level I guess.

Let me know if you have any questions about NS.

Canon 60D - Sigma 17-50 (2.8), Tamron 90 macro, Canon 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 1.4x II
My Instagram (external link)

flyfisher
Goldmember
1,038 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2004
Ma, USA
Apr 05, 2017 05:47 |  #9

My wife and I went to Newfoundland a couple of years ago it was not your typical tourist destination but it's photographers paradice its got some of everything from grand landscapes to quaint fishing viiages. St Johns is is nice with goods views from Signal Hill and Cape Spear lighthouse just outside of St Johns is nice. Western brook pond in Gos Morne National Park has a boat tour that we thought was worth taking for the views. All of the Places that Jake listed are worth visiting. If your driving from Nova Scotia when you book the ferry a private cabin is well worth the extra money. We came in to Port aux Basque and left from Argentia, the Argentia ferry was an overnight trip.

Steve

NCSA197
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Western NY State
Jul 04, 2017 17:50 |  #10

I've been to Newfoundland a couple times for hunting, and it is on the short-list for a photo trip for my wife and I. A little difficult to get there, at least from Western New York state, but worth it!

Flickrexternal link

sponsored links

1,176 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Foundland ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.