Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 05 Jul 2017 (Wednesday) 17:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Elvīra

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Jul 05, 2017 17:20 |  #1

A portrait of a friend of mine. She works in the museum and now literally sitting on quotes :]

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

sponsored links
Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Jul 06, 2017 06:01 |  #2

I like the leading lines.

Nitpick: There is a strange glitch in the window frame.

flickrexternal link Editing OKexternal link

Qbx
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Jul 06, 2017 16:02 |  #3

I like the use of rectangular shadows in this portrait. However her right arm vanishes into a dark shadow on her lap that seems to wrap around her arm, then there are two dimly lit areas that look like they may be her knees forward and also wrapped by the dark shadow. That interrupts the composition; I think it should be completely dark there - or the lower part of her body should be more illuminated and distinct.

-- Image Editing OK --

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Jul 07, 2017 04:19 |  #4

I hear ya... I don't know. I did hide it at first [knees, I mean], but it disbalaced the whole image quite a lot. Try it out at your end and tell me what you think :]

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 07, 2017 04:27 |  #5

the knee thing definitely throws off the whole image.

I would probably process two images, one as you want it and the other much brighter to only use that part of her knee/leg. Put the two on separate layers and then mask everything but the black hole of a leg. Pure black easily disconnects one area from the other but if there is even just a hint of detail the brain will reconnect the disconnected parts of her leg.

also, she's sexy.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Qbx
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Jul 07, 2017 13:34 as a reply to olafs osh's post |  #6

I'd like to play with it. In the past we could do a right-click then "save image as" and get a copy of a photo, but now that option is not available - the "save as" just saves HTML stuff. How can I get a copy to work with?

-- Image Editing OK --

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,241 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Pekka.
Jul 07, 2017 13:45 |  #7

Qbx wrote in post #18396407 (external link)
I'd like to play with it. In the past we could do a right-click then "save image as" and get a copy of a photo, but now that option is not available - the "save as" just saves HTML stuff. How can I get a copy to work with?

Click the glasses icon, then right click the image in lightbox view -> "save image as..".
Rename the image extension to .jpg (you can do it on save dialog).

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Qbx
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Jul 07, 2017 13:48 as a reply to Pekka's post |  #8

Ah so.... Thanks

-- Image Editing OK --

Qbx
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Jul 07, 2017 14:29 as a reply to olafs osh's post |  #9

By brightening, I see that what I thought were 2 knees were one knee and a hand (I didn't see her left knee in the original). But the thing that bothers me is the dark band around her right knee. At first, it looks like a shadow, but then it looks like a black scarf wrapped around her leg. Neither makes sense. I'd be more inclined to brighten the leg area but that black shadow still bugs me.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-- Image Editing OK --

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Post has been edited 5 months ago by olafs osh.
Jul 07, 2017 14:54 as a reply to Qbx's post |  #10

Ah, I see. I understood you wrong... I can understand, why you would want to see all parts of the body clearly. I just went to oposite side and hid them /by having only one light ourside of the window/. I think them knees and hands are more distracting and not complimenting, but them being almost hidden, we see just the lines complimenting her. I even darken the shadows completely, but that created bochiness /is that a word?/. Sooo, I have to disagree here. It could work in colour, though!

- Olafs Osh

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Jul 18, 2017 23:01 |  #11

I prefer, the original

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Jul 18, 2017 23:31 |  #12

The knee on the new version is not at all helpful. I'd vote for #1 too.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links

1,103 views & 6 likes for this thread
Elvīra
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.