Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 06 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 10:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Please help me choose a camera for portraits of kids with 85mm lens

marmatt1218
269 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Jul 06, 2017 10:26 |  #1

Hello! I don't have a DSLR at the moment. I used to have a 40D until it died on me last year. I liked the camera, with the exception of the low ISO capabilities.

Anyway, I am looking to get a camera in the next 6 months or so. I mainly use my Canon 85mm for portraits of my kids. I don't really care much for anything other than portraits, really. I use my cell phone for daily stuff and my little G15 for travel. I love what I can get out of the 85mm, though I do have to stand further back than I'd prefer to get the shot I want.

Here's a couple examples of the pics I take of my kids, to give you an idea of what I like:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

So, here's my question. I am looking at the 80D and the 6D (first version). Do you think there's going to be a noticeable difference in using my 85m on the 6D, compared to the 80D? I would like that I don't have to stand so far back to frame my shots with the 6D. But would my pictures look essentially the same? I know there is a difference with the autofocus between the two, but I never was bothered with the minimal points on the 40D. I was pretty quick with selecting different ones as needed, but mostly used the center point.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Marilyn

sponsored links
TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by TreeburnerCT.
Jul 06, 2017 10:49 |  #2

If all you plan to shoot is portraits I think you'd be much better off with the 6D. 85mm on a crop puts you so far away for full body portraits, and you'll get thinner DOF and less distance to subject with a FF sensor. I have and love the 80D and don't plan to move to full frame anytime soon, but for your shooting the 6D would be the best option. Plus the 6D is on sale through Canon Refurbished for the 4th of July, ending 7/8.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Jul 06, 2017 10:59 |  #3

My first dSLR was the 40D (and I still have it) so I feel your pain about the low light issue. From there I got into the 7D and that was a fantastic step up but it was still a crop sensor. I needed a full frame and invested in the 6D. Performance-wise the two run close (with the 6D hedging a bit better if you discount the sensor size). For events I'll use my 24-70mm on the 6D and my 70-200mm on the 7D (for reach) and switch back and forth as needed.

If you have the spending cash I'd say go with the 6D or even a 5D. If you want to save some money you can find the 7D used at a great deal. Functionality alone (over the 40D) will impress you. The ergonomics are great and the added function buttons make shooting so much easier.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

EricaC
33 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Jul 06, 2017 11:22 |  #4

I moved from a 40D to a 6D two years ago. You will definitely notice the difference in focal length. You will be able to be much closer to your subject while getting the same amount in the photo.

Remember, when moving from crop to full frame, the effect the "look" of the aperture has for depth of field changes by about one stop. This means that when you use the widest aperture setting, the background will look even more blurred out with the 6D than it did with the 40D. (Generally, this is a positive thing that people want for portraits.) ---ex. F4 on a full frame sensor will look similar depth of field wise to F2.8 on a crop sensor.

The ONLY thing I like less about the 6D than my old 40D is that the 6D doesn't have the joystick thing for changing focus points (you use the circle pad buttons to change instead). I don't know if the 80D has it or not. I've gotten used to it though and am quite fast at it now, and all the other improvements of the 6D over the 40D make me love the 6D!

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,284 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 06, 2017 11:27 |  #5

I am currently using a 6D and an 80D. For your stated goals, the 6D would be my preferred body.

Tom

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jul 06, 2017 12:13 |  #6

The 80D does not have the AF joystick.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

marmatt1218
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Jul 06, 2017 12:25 |  #7

According to your feedback, I see the the 6D is a smart choice for what I am after. Anybody have ideas about pricing for this camera, since the new version will be out soon? Will it hold steady until it goes out of stock or do you think once the new one is out, there will be a price drop?

Marilyn

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 3 months ago by MalVeauX.
Jul 06, 2017 12:29 |  #8

Heya,

Go with the cheapest full frame you can; you clearly like close proximity and shallow depth of field if this is what you're liking. You already have the lens. So you're set.

I would take a 6D over an 80D for portrait all day, every day.

A used 6D will run some where around $800ish maybe on a good day. Don't expect it's price to drop much. Your best bet will be on the used market. A 5D2 could be had around $700ish, but it's not worth it, the 6D is better for this. You could also just get a used 5D classic (MK I) for around $300ish, which will also produce really great portraits like you're doing. Really great value there for portrait. Further alt, move to Sony with an EF adapter, like a used A7 or A7S, again with an EF adapter so you can keep using your lens with AF and IBIS (body imaging stabilization).

From there, add a speedlite with ETTL&HSS and you're set.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,447 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jul 06, 2017 12:38 |  #9

FF camera and 50mm

You dont need an 85 for kids.

6D + 50 stm.

The smaller the kid, the tougher the working distance, so dont get something too long.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

Bassat
6,284 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 06, 2017 12:52 |  #10

marmatt1218 wrote in post #18395475 (external link)
According to your feedback, I see the the 6D is a smart choice for what I am after. Anybody have ideas about pricing for this camera, since the new version will be out soon? Will it hold steady until it goes out of stock or do you think once the new one is out, there will be a price drop?

I don't see Canon dropping the price of the 6Dc. It is already $500 below the 6D2. The 6D2 won't affect the 6D used market too much. Happy 6D users have been happily getting by w/o the 6D2's trinkets for 3 or 4 years.

Tom

Bassat
6,284 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Bassat.
Jul 06, 2017 13:01 |  #11

Charlie wrote in post #18395484 (external link)
FF camera and 50mm

You dont need an 85 for kids.

6D + 50 stm.

The smaller the kid, the tougher the working distance, so dont get something too long.

Says the guy with neither (gear, not kids). I find that more than a tad curious. The 50 STM, while a sharp lens, neither focuses all that quickly, nor works a ton better than the 50II in crappy or low light. While the 50 will allow the OP to get closer to the kids, I can use a 135L indoors for tight(er) head and shoulders shots.

These are full frame, indoors, 135L. I'd consider a 50mm on full frame way too short for this kind of stuff. You'd have to be in their faces with an 85mm lens.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Tom

Charlie
13,447 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Jul 06, 2017 13:16 |  #12

Bassat wrote in post #18395513 (external link)
Says the guy with neither (gear, not kids). I find that more than a tad curious. The 50 STM, while a sharp lens, neither focuses all that quickly, nor works a ton better than the 50II in crappy or low light. While the 50 will allow the OP to get closer to the kids, I can use a 135L indoors for tight(er) head and shoulders shots.

These are full frame, indoors, 135L. I'd consider a 50mm on full frame way to short for this kind of stuff. You'd have to be in their faces with an 85mm lens.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Bassat in
./showthread.php?p=183​95513&i=i118573443
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Bassat in
./showthread.php?p=183​95513&i=i26210463
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

kids are an exception to the rules, especially small kids. Older kids like 5+ 85mm is fine, but the younger ones have a mind of their own, you just capture what you can.

even large aperture 35 is ok

35/50 attached

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jul 06, 2017 13:49 |  #13

17mm on a full frame.

There are no rules.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4235/34937790193_294d990261_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Veki​NZ] (external link)IMG_6124 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Charlie
13,447 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Jul 06, 2017 14:04 |  #14

MalVeauX wrote in post #18395563 (external link)
17mm on a full frame.

There are no rules.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Veki​NZ] (external link)IMG_6124 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

If I shoot 17mm that close with my wife in frame, I'de get an earful :-P

generally speaking, with smaller kids, there are no rules. If you want bokeh, 135 can certainly do it, works great for adults too, but it can be tough having a little distance with kids

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

marmatt1218
THREAD ­ STARTER
269 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Jul 06, 2017 14:56 |  #15

I already have the 85mm lens, but thanks for the thoughts about other focal lengths.

I appreciate your feedback, everyone. Thank you!

Marilyn

sponsored links

1,278 views & 2 likes for this thread
Please help me choose a camera for portraits of kids with 85mm lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.