Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 08 Jul 2017 (Saturday) 13:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

7D Mark III and 90D in early 2018?

mcoren
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Jul 08, 2017 13:24 |  #1

That’s technology for you. The 6D Mark II hasn’t even shipped and already Canon Rumors has a note up about a 7D Mark III and 90D expected in the first half of 2018. Here is the link:

http://www.canonrumors​.com ...g-first-half-of-2018-cr2/ (external link)

It’s listed as [CR2], which means “good information from a known source”. There aren’t a lot of specifics, but it mentions video enhancements and it uses the number “4” and the letter “K” (and not as in “this DSLR is brought to you by...”).

According to Wikipedia, the original 7D was announced in September 2009. The Mk II was announced in September 2014, five years later. If the Mk III is announced in the first half of 2018, that will be only 3-1/2 years since the Mk II.

Similarly, the 70D was announced in July 2013. The 80D was announced in February 2016, just 2-1/2 years later. A 90D announcement in early 2018 would be just over two years since the 80D.

Previously, it seemed that Rebels/xxxD’s were on a 2-year refresh cycle, xxD’s were on a 3-year cycle, and xD’s were on a 4-5 year cycle. It’s well known that the low-end of the DSLR market is being eroded by high quality cell phone cameras. My guess is that Canon is trying to compensate by accelerating their refresh cycles in the enthusiast and pro lines, where buyers would be more inclined to upgrade when something newer and shinier comes along.

Mike

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jul 08, 2017 13:39 |  #2

It's just a rumor... but a 7D3 would be welcome, and maybe it is time considering the recent sensor technology improvements, increases in resolution, and the need for built-in WiFi.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

PJJ205
192 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Jul 08, 2017 19:57 |  #3

I wouldn't hesitate to replace my 7DII if theres an increase in FPS and MP, touch screen, and built in WIFI. I hope theres some truth to the rumor!

lowrider
758 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Tucson
Jul 08, 2017 22:24 |  #4

Two threads with the same rumor:

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​483290

This one posted before the OP.

Lou

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Jul 09, 2017 05:53 |  #5

lowrider wrote in post #18397536 (external link)
Two threads with the same rumor:

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​483290

This one posted before the OP.

Lou

Yeah that was my bad. I didn't realize there was a rumors forum. I originally started this thread in the main Canon EOS Digital Cameras forum and the mods moved it.

Mike

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Jul 09, 2017 06:06 |  #6

I have a 70D that I got about 2-1/2 years ago, so I've been thinking the 7D3 or 90D might be upgrade time. The question is, what would be the killer feature(s) to compel me to upgrade? From what I hear, the 7D2 and 80D AF systems are great, so combining them plus normal technology improvements could be amazing. That would certainly be a factor for me. More MP is always helpful for cropability, but that in itself wouldn't compel me to upgrade. I rarely shoot video so 4K doesn't excite me. Beyond that I haven't given much thought to what my next generation "dream camera" would have.

Not that I have any major complaints about the 70D, in fact I love it. I'm just a gearhead doing what gearheads do.

Mike

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Jul 09, 2017 08:02 |  #7

mcoren wrote in post #18397189 (external link)
According to Wikipedia, the original 7D was announced in September 2009. The Mk II was announced in September 2014, five years later. If the Mk III is announced in the first half of 2018, that will be only 3-1/2 years since the Mk II.

Similarly, the 70D was announced in July 2013. The 80D was announced in February 2016, just 2-1/2 years later. A 90D announcement in early 2018 would be just over two years since the 80D.

Previously, it seemed that Rebels/xxxD’s were on a 2-year refresh cycle, xxD’s were on a 3-year cycle, and xD’s were on a 4-5 year cycle. It’s well known that the low-end of the DSLR market is being eroded by high quality cell phone cameras. My guess is that Canon is trying to compensate by accelerating their refresh cycles in the enthusiast and pro lines, where buyers would be more inclined to upgrade when something newer and shinier comes along.

Maybe they're feeling pressure from the Sony sensors too.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Jul 09, 2017 12:22 |  #8

joedlh wrote in post #18397712 (external link)
Maybe they're feeling pressure from the Sony sensors too.

Good point. Sony is definitely pushing the envelope with their sensors.

There's a forum thread over at CanonRumors.com connected with this rumor. It's 9 pages already. I only skimmed the first couple, but there's a lot of conjecture that 7D2 sales are getting spanked by the Nikon D500. I don't know enough about the Nikon line to comment in depth, but superficially the D500 looks impressive. 10 FPS, 4K video, 153 AF points (99 cross type and 15 that support f/8), tilting touch screen, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC... I hope Canon has their sights set on beating that across the board. About the only thing I don't see that the 7D2 has is GPS.

Mike

carpenter
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Green Bay, WI
Post has been edited 5 months ago by carpenter.
Jul 12, 2017 00:10 |  #9

I'd love to see a 7d3 as I'm very happy with the 7D2. If Canon can get 24mp and a slight bump in iso performance I'd be a launch day buyer for the first time ever in 15 years of dslr shooting. Oh and bring back my light meter on the bottom in manual mode.

5D Mk IV | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L MkII

sjnovakovich
Joined Aug 2007
Central PA
Jul 19, 2017 07:44 as a reply to carpenter's post |  #10

I have no idea why the light meter is missing now. So very useful for manual shots, and for producing some creative effects.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,013 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Christiansburg, VA
Jul 20, 2017 09:01 |  #11

I have a 7D. I like most things about it, and overall I think I like it more than my 1Ds iii especially for everyday shooting. However, the AF is just not that accurate. It's better than many cameras but it misses more shots than I feel it should.

7D ii looks like an amazing camera and almost has enough features to warrant the upgrade for me. The 1Dx AF systems is especially tempting and the dual card slots are in second place. But when the dust settles there just wasn't quite enough to justify the price.

I believe the 7D iii will have enough to justify the upgrade for me. I'm hoping it will have:
--- a new sensor, not the 24.6 mp from the 80D. I hope the DR is bigger and the noise is cleaner at higher ISOs... two areas where canon has been getting their butt kicked.
--- The current FPS is fine but faster is always welcome.
--- DPAF would be even better if you could use it in conjunction with the optical view finder, maybe use the pellicle mirrors from the 1v HS or the sony A99.
--- Touch screen seems like a no-brainer.
--- Dual card slots is a must for me; that feature, along with the improved AF, almost made me upgrade to the mark ii.
--- Canons 1080p video quality gets spanked by every other brand out there. They NEED to fix this or they will be in trouble. And Canon, its 2017; 4K is a MUST ADD feature. Seriously, how can they not have this on most of their cameras by now?!?! I've used the 4K video on a 5D mark IV and its super lame how it is cropped to basically an APS-C size.
--- Articulated screen. I have heard it said that this feature is not included on 7D/5D/1D because it would make the bodies less rugged/more fragile. Soooooo... find a way to beef it up and include it on the 7D. *Especially if* they include the 4K feature
--- I didn't realize the light meter was missing from the mark ii. Yeah, bring that back! I can't believe they left that off.

And that's my wish list.

The way I see it, Canon is getting stomped by Sony and they really need to step up their game. Most of the Canon camera bodies come soooooo close to being awesome but then there is one or two features that make them "merely great" instead of awesome. I'd love to see Canon hit this one out of the ballpark.

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Jul 20, 2017 09:03 |  #12

Cash ready for 6D3 and 7D3!!

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,013 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Christiansburg, VA
Jul 20, 2017 09:05 as a reply to Ascenta's post |  #13

LOL @ 6Diii when 6Dii hasn't even shipped  :p

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Ascenta. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 20, 2017 09:07 |  #14

Marm O. Set wrote in post #18406665 (external link)
LOL @ 6Diii when 6Dii hasn't even shipped  :p

You betch'ya!

(just in case it's too early in the morning for anyone, this was sarcasm so thick you'd need a putty knife to scrape it off)

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,013 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Christiansburg, VA
Jul 20, 2017 09:09 |  #15

how about the Canon 3D?
I heard it will capture holographic images :-P

sponsored links

5,564 views & 30 likes for this thread
7D Mark III and 90D in early 2018?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.