Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 08 Jul 2017 (Saturday) 20:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Windows 10 - Best Photo Viewer?

ukfalc
Joined Apr 2012
Jul 08, 2017 20:09 |  #1

I have recently purchased a new PC and "upgraded" to windows 10 after my old machine began to struggle running Lightroom and Photoshop.

Using Lightroom for the first time on the new machine tonight, I noticed that there was a huge difference is sharpness between my developed RAW files in lightroom and my exported JPEG viewed through the Photos App in windows 10. The JPEGs were often very blurry in the Photos App. When I exported several copies of the same photo at 100% file size with very different sharpening settings applied, they often look identical when viewed in the Photos App - lacking sharpness and not reflecting the changes makes in LR. I've looked online, and see that the Photos App in Win 10 seems to have a major flaw that causes pictures to often not render sharply - making it totally useless as a viewer for checking the quality of JPEGs and comparing them.

I am wondering what windows 10 software others use to display and check their exported JPEGs? All I want, is a simple picture viewer than quickly and accurately displays photos resized to fit full height and or width of the screen, preferably with buttons to quickly and easily move on to the next/previous photo in the folder (to allow easy comparison between different versions of the same photo). I would like a viewer that shows them with dark background preferably, but this is not essential. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

On my old HP windows 7 machine I used a simple program called HP Photo Viewer - which did the job absolutely perfectly, but sadly doesn't seem to work in windows 10.

Canon 5D Mk IV; Canon 7D Mk II.
EF 16-35mm F2.8 L II USM; EF 24-70mm F2.8 L II USM; EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 L IS USM; EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 IS L II USM.
http://www.alan-evans-photography.com (external link)

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,021 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Jul 08, 2017 23:18 |  #2

FASTSTONE IMAGE VIEWER (external link) is excellent.

Mark

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,969 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Jul 09, 2017 01:44 |  #3

ukfalc wrote in post #18397468 (external link)
I have recently purchased a new PC and "upgraded" to windows 10 after my old machine began to struggle running Lightroom and Photoshop.

Using Lightroom for the first time on the new machine tonight, I noticed that there was a huge difference is sharpness between my developed RAW files in lightroom and my exported JPEG viewed through the Photos App in windows 10. The JPEGs were often very blurry in the Photos App. When I exported several copies of the same photo at 100% file size with very different sharpening settings applied, they often look identical when viewed in the Photos App - lacking sharpness and not reflecting the changes makes in LR. I've looked online, and see that the Photos App in Win 10 seems to have a major flaw that causes pictures to often not render sharply - making it totally useless as a viewer for checking the quality of JPEGs and comparing them.

I am wondering what windows 10 software others use to display and check their exported JPEGs? All I want, is a simple picture viewer than quickly and accurately displays photos resized to fit full height and or width of the screen, preferably with buttons to quickly and easily move on to the next/previous photo in the folder (to allow easy comparison between different versions of the same photo). I would like a viewer that shows them with dark background preferably, but this is not essential. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

On my old HP windows 7 machine I used a simple program called HP Photo Viewer - which did the job absolutely perfectly, but sadly doesn't seem to work in windows 10.

Lightroom.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,435 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Slovenia
Post has been edited 3 months ago by agedbriar.
Jul 09, 2017 07:04 |  #4

+1 for FastStone Image Viewer !

In Full Screen view, jab the cursor into each monitor border for a quick overview of features.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jul 09, 2017 08:02 |  #5

As a Lightroom user I don't actually keep JPEG files around on my PC, I just use LR to view the RAW images locally. Since you are using Adobe products anyway you know that you got Bridge with PS, and now you can install and run Bridge CC simply by creating a free Adobe account, if you don't have one already.

Bridge is a very good image orientated file manager program, and if you export the .xmp files from LR you can see all of your LR edits in Bridge. Simply hitting the spacebar gives you a full screen view, on black and scrolling the mouse wheel zooms in/out, the arrow keys move you to next/last image in that situation. If I need to export an image, and want to check it before I send it to wherever it's going I just use Bridge. Once the JPEG file is sent to it's final destination it is deleted from my local drive.

The only thing with Bridge with LR is that Bridge can only see the master version of any image, it can't see LR Virtual Copies. It's not like it would be very difficult to implement VC's with Bridge, you would simply need a second .xmp file, with the copy name appended to the xmp's filename.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

lacogada
Joined May 2015
Jul 09, 2017 10:51 |  #6

rrblint wrote in post #18397555 (external link)
FASTSTONE IMAGE VIEWER (external link) is excellent.

+1 ... many helpful features.

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,465 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles
Jul 09, 2017 11:28 |  #7

Another +1 ... it has a lot of capability, plus you can import other software for "All folder" actions. Works for me.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Jul 09, 2017 12:10 |  #8

Faststone :-) :lol:

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

philodelphi
Joined May 2008
King of Prussia PA USA
Jul 09, 2017 12:14 |  #9

Yeah, FastStone!

Canon EOS 6D | Sony α6300 / ILCE-6300, DSC-RX100M2 |

King ­ Kenny
Joined Dec 2016
La Haye du Puits: Normandy, France.
Jul 09, 2017 13:14 |  #10

Thanks UKFALK for asking the question. I am not happy with the image viewers that came with my Windows 10 laptop. I have just downloaded Faststone and had a quick look. It is fast and clear and I will be using it from now on. Thanks guys for sharing.

"I don't Know where I am but I'm having a lovely time."

Kenny

pcunite
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Jul 14, 2017 08:50 |  #11

Note that you can use the picture viewer that shipped with Windows 7, the default one, by applying the following registry values to Windows 10.

Create a blank text file and add paste the following text into it. Change the text file's extension to be .REG, then double click the file. The next time you attempt to open a jpg file, you'll have the option to set the viewer.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Change Extension's File Type
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.jpg]
@="PhotoViewer.FileAss​oc.Tiff"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.jpeg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.gif]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.png]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.bmp]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.tiff]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.ico]

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Jul 14, 2017 08:52 |  #12

Another vote for Faststone. Here's a recent thread with plenty more recommendations for it.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​482829

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jul 14, 2017 20:32 |  #13

pcunite wrote in post #18401848 (external link)
Note that you can use the picture viewer that shipped with Windows 7, the default one, by applying the following registry values to Windows 10.

Create a blank text file and add paste the following text into it. Change the text file's extension to be .REG, then double click the file. The next time you attempt to open a jpg file, you'll have the option to set the viewer.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.jpg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.jpeg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.gif]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.png]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.bmp]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.tiff]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Sof​tware\Classes\.ico]

I don't see why you would want to do this though. Since one of the recent Win 10 updates, I'm not sure which one mind as I don't normally use it, Photos the Win 10 default viewer has at least been colour managed. AFAIK this is the first time that a Windows default image viewing program has actually been colour managed. It still doesn't make it an image viewer that I would want to use. Even before they updated Photos to be colour managed I did still think that it was marginally better than the next best, which probably was the Win 7 viewer.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

1,979 views & 13 likes for this thread
Windows 10 - Best Photo Viewer?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.