Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 07 Jul 2017 (Friday) 20:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How many here have 2 - 3 camera's and not even a professional photographer ?

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,353 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 08, 2017 08:33 |  #16

PrinceAbubu wrote in post #18396883 (external link)
7 cameras and not even a pro? thats committment! lol

Not 7 currently in use SLRs. IIRC, it was 6D, 5Dc (selling), 60D, G15, SX260HS, Elan 7, and maybe the 7D. I buy and sell lots of older cameras just to play with them for a week, maybe a month. For example, the 7D was 'King of Crops' when it was new. I picked up a used one for $325, I think. I put the 7D's AF up against the 6D & 70D. The 7D was clearly showing its age. I think I had that body for about 2 weeks. I sold it for the same $325 I paid for it.

Tom

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,353 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 08, 2017 08:39 |  #17

I agree with Malveax and saea501, mostly. Sometime new gear CAN allow you to acquire shots you couldn't get with old gear. Before I got my 1DIV, I used a 60D/70D for sports/action work. Killer AF and 10 fps allowed me to get shots that I could not get with my previous body. To be sure, the camera didn't get the shots. The shooter still has to know how to deploy the gear. I am the poster child for TMG.NET (too much gear.not enough talent).

Tom

KeithS
Joined Jul 2009
Arizona
Jul 08, 2017 12:35 |  #18

Four DSLRs (one IR converted), three point and shoots (one IR converted), 5D3 and Sony DSC-RX100 being the most recent of the respective categories. A few more, mostly older that I have retired (including one that used an 8 MB CF card). Highest shutter count is just under 7,000 on two. I don't know of any new camera that would enable me to do anything better that what I now have.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Post has been edited 3 months ago by BigAl007.
Jul 08, 2017 18:45 |  #19

Unless there is something particularly important that will help you in a specific way on a new body, you are always much better off buying better quality lenses, of suitable focal lengths for the subjects that you are shooting. I'm still shooting a 50D, but still have the olde 20D as a backup/second camera, and my lens lineup is not something to brag about either.

Personally a body with decent f/8 AF, preferably able to use multi points with non Canon lenses like the Sigma 150-600C, or simply just a 5DIV AND BOTH the 600 and 800 Ls would probably do it :p. Oh and must use CF card and have a PC socket.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jul 08, 2017 19:52 |  #20

BigAl007 wrote in post #18397425 (external link)
Unless there is something particularly important that will help you in a specific way on a new body, you are always much better off buying better quality lenses, of suitable focal lengths for the subjects that you are shooting. I'm still shooting a 50D, but still have the olde 20D as a backup/second camera, and my lens lineup is not something to brag about either.

Personally a body with decent f/8 AF, preferably able to use multi points with non Canon lenses like the Sigma 150-600C, or simply just a 5DIV AND BOTH the 600 and 800 Ls would probably do it :p. Oh and must use CF card and have a PC socket.

Alan

What kind of enlarger do you use? ;-)a

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jul 09, 2017 07:45 |  #21

Archibald wrote in post #18397456 (external link)
What kind of enlarger do you use? ;-)a

Well back when I had a darkroom I started out with an old Gnome/Wray enlarger, which was given to me by a friend of my dad, when I was about 10 years old or so. I finally ended up with an LPL C7700 and Nikkor EL 50 f/2.8 lens for 35mm work. I did start by adding a filter holder to the Gome, and using the Cokin like square filters for Ilford MG IV papers, and then a two bath dish developed colour process from Agfa for prints from slides. Again I used it with the filter holder and a set of square filters. A friends dad worked at Agfa UK and got me the sample kit, with the filters, that they made. That made me want to move to a full colour darkroom when I had the chance.

I had to get rid of the darkroom kit when I split with the Mrs, and my film cameras were with my slides/negs when my flat got flooded and I lost the lot. Since I had already felt that 6 MP CMOS digital sensors were a specific advantage over film, especially when I needed to end up with digital files. I went with just staying digital, and didn't replace the uninsured film kit.

So now it's Lightroom and Photoshop CC, coupled to a Canon Pixma MG 5150 printer, and the ability to upload my images directly to devices I could never afford to have at home, via the two pro labs that I use. It's a much improved environment too, although I do miss the intangibles of working in a darkroom under safelights, with the smalls of the chemicals etc.

Actually you bring up a good point, in that improvements to image processing software over the years has also helped older bodies remain relevant, certainly if you shoot RAW. If you are only going to shoot in camera JPEGs, then you may find a newer body has more advantages as the improvements to processing are applied to the camera. But that is one of the things that would be covered by specific features that will help you in your photography.

If I had the money to do it then I would quite like to try out shooting with large format film, and working with it in the darkroom. Are you still wet printing at home, or are you using digital output for your film work?

I'd still generally rather improve glass first though.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Jul 09, 2017 07:56 |  #22

40D, 7Dii, Olympus XZ-1 for the walkabout. I seldom have the need for the wider field of view of a 135 sensor. But when I do, I wish I had one. It's not often enough to be worth the expense though. I buy a new camera when the need arises. I used to have a 20D, but decided to pass it on when Canon stopped repairing them and a friend begged me to shoot her wedding. That's when I got the 7Dii. Although being my backup, the 40D still gets a lot of work.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
9,968 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jul 09, 2017 20:12 |  #23

Having more won't make you a pro either...:) I normally shoot with one camera. If I need a second one for a gig and an assignment, I would rent and buy an used one. Camera technology changes too much and too expensive to own 2 or 3 bodies and knowing that they would become obsolete in few years. :) :)

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Las Vegas
Jul 09, 2017 20:33 |  #24

my current sets, the Canon 5D2 and 7Dfor airshows, moon and eclipse shots and cooncerts, Sony A7R and A6000 for walk around, with

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/July-2017/i-RNSB8wr/0/dbffdf8c/XL/IMG_1587-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com .../IMG_1587-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug A7r as back up to Leica M10 for travel

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jul 10, 2017 00:41 |  #25

I've got 4/5...use my 70D, 5Dc, and eosM... in that order mostly- but I still have my 40D, and an older eos film camera

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Tessa
Playing with fire
Joined Sep 2008
Estonia
Jul 10, 2017 01:32 |  #26

I have a pair of 7D bodies - because I like using two identical cameras with different lenses when shooting racing.

Gallery (external link)

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
239 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Australia
Jul 10, 2017 04:39 |  #27

Although I have 7, I really only use 2 as I just don't have enough time to enjoy the others anymore.
Kids have that effect.

Leica M3 & iiif, Bronica ETRS, Canon 1V HS, 1DsMkIII, 7D, G1X MKII

JoeLopez
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Detroit, MI
Jul 10, 2017 06:54 |  #28

PrinceAbubu wrote in post #18396701 (external link)
just thinking if its me all the time thinking i want another camera because i want something different? or is everyone on the same boat?

photography for me is like an escape from doing repetitive worklife. So going out taking photos coming back and having a look at my shots keeps me sane!

what are you thoughts? who has multiple camera's and not even a pro?

My main digital is a D7100. I also shoot a few 35mm film cameras and a Fuji X100.
Same boat as you, more recreational for me for sure.

D7100 | 35/50/85 1.8G | Tamron 17-50 2.8 & 70-200 2.8 VC | Tokina 11-16 f2.8 DX II
Fujifilm X100T | Nikon F3/T, FE2 | Minolta XG1 | Yashica Electro 35 GSN
Gear List
Detroit Imagery (external link) - Detroit area event photographer : Flickr (external link)

DarenM
659 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Theresa, NY
Jul 10, 2017 07:37 |  #29

!D MK IV, 1D MK III, 5D classic, yashica twin lens, Canon AE2 (film), too many for what i really need

Canon 1D MK IV, Canon 1D MK III, Canon 5D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS MK II, 17-40 F4 Canon, 430 EX, Canon A2E, 530EX Canon 1.4 Extender, 580 II, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, (Way too much stuff for an amateur)

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jul 10, 2017 08:03 |  #30

I'm a hobbyist and I do some photography for work, however I'd love to turn it into a side gig eventually as well. I had three camera bodies for a while, a Rebel T6s, 7D2, and a M3. Then I sold the M3 and T6s and upgraded to an 80D, so currently I'm using two bodies - the 7D2 for wildlife, BIF and other action, and the 80D for portraits, landscape and anything else. Currently in recovery from GAS now that I've got the bodies and lenses that I want.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

4,154 views & 28 likes for this thread
How many here have 2 - 3 camera's and not even a professional photographer ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.