Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 11 Jul 2017 (Tuesday) 10:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Calling all Bluebird Nest Monitors

WGregge
Joined Jun 2017
Jul 11, 2017 10:22 |  #1

I have recently set up some bluebird nest boxes and have been monitoring them and entering data into NestWatch. I started out on wooden fence posts (horrible idea). The bluebirds nested instantly and lost 2 clutches to a raccoon. I trapped the coon and relocated him and now have the boxes on metal round posts, one has a guard (need to buy another for the second one), and I'm planning on greasing the poles. The bluebirds instantly took to the boxes again. Hopefully this time with success! Anyone else like to monitor nest boxes? On average what is your success rate? Any tips for me?

The air is crowded with birds -- beautiful, tender, intelligent birds -- to whom life is a song. -GEORGE HENRY LEWES

sponsored links
Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 11, 2017 12:16 |  #2

You do realize that you actually just set loose a terror into another wildlife neighborhood, don't you? Do not relocate captured wild animals. They will either devastate the local small creature population in the new area and all the bluebirds (and other easy prey) that managed to find natural nesting cavities will be slaughtered. Or, the raccoon will starve to death due several factors. If you're going to capture be prepared to euthanize.

Greased poles will only result in greasy creatures...raccoons, snakes, etc.,. Be sure the guard is high off the ground.

www.beeweather.comexternal link

WGregge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2017
Jul 11, 2017 12:31 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #3

Check Pms, I know what I'm doing as far as the coon goes. I've been told by several Bluebirders that greasing the pole under the guard will help. The guard is pretty high off the ground.

The air is crowded with birds -- beautiful, tender, intelligent birds -- to whom life is a song. -GEORGE HENRY LEWES

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 11, 2017 12:42 as a reply to WGregge's post |  #4

I'm glad to hear you know what you're doing. Maybe the greased pole will help with coons, but snakes I'm *positive* it will not help protect against.

Best wishes.

www.beeweather.comexternal link

WGregge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2017
Jul 11, 2017 13:03 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #5

Yes the snakes will be a problem if they start. I've heard several people having success with the kreuger guard so may have to invest in that. The fact is that Mother Nature has her ways of Doug things and sometimes we can't always stop them but I'd like to at least try.

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
Chesapeake, VA USA
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Duane N. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 11, 2017 17:16 |  #6

My yard has hosted nesting Bluebirds for 5 years now and this is what my Bluebird Boxes are mounted on. 3" PVC pipe, 8" metal ductwork suspended above the ground on 4 screws drilled into the PVC at 90 degrees of each other and 1/2 wire mesh covering the entrance hole to the box. I have never had to use grease on the pole and I have frequent visits by Raccoons and Possums in my yard...also an occasional Gray and Red Foxes and of course snakes.

My Bluebirds alternate between each box and will nest 3 times a year....Carolina Chickadees will use the box the Bluebirds aren't using but only nest once in early spring and I sometimes have House Wrens use the boxes.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.3rdicreations.comexternal link

sponsored links

1,714 views & 1 like for this thread
Calling all Bluebird Nest Monitors
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.