Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 30 Jun 2017 (Friday) 11:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photobucket Goes Rogue

markeb
143 posts
Joined May 2010
NoVA
Jul 11, 2017 17:16 |  #151

I've been following this thread, and Photobucket threads everywhere on the web!

FWIW, someone on another, not exclusively photography, site, did apparently get a reply from Photobucket. "Apparently", existing "Plus" accounts (mine is apparently a Plus 20; it used to be a "Pro" account for bandwidth use on some other collector/hobby sites) are grandfathered for third party hosting until the end of 2018 if they stay paid up.

I eventually found this on their Blog

"What users are affected by the changes to our 3rd Party Hosting
policies?

Moving forward, new and legacy free account users will NOT have third party
hosting available.

If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017,
you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rd
Party Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your
subscription.

Non Plus 500 Account subscribers that purchased after June 1, 2017 will not
have access to 3rd Party Hosting."

Which explains why some posters who clearly have low cost "Plus" accounts still have photos showing up in their posts. They are spinning this as a benefit for large commercial accounts versus a hit on small users...

T2i 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 30 mm f/1.4, Canon 60 mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 15-85 IS USM, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX HSM OS, 430EX II S95 G7X

sponsored links
iazybandit
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Jul 11, 2017 17:54 |  #152

markeb wrote in post #18399804 (external link)

FWIW, someone on another, not exclusively photography, site, did apparently get a reply from Photobucket. "Apparently", existing "Plus" accounts (mine is apparently a Plus 20; it used to be a "Pro" account for bandwidth use on some other collector/hobby sites) are grandfathered for third party hosting until the end of 2018 if they stay paid up.

policies?

hosting available.

subscription.

Which explains why some posters who clearly have low cost "Plus" accounts still have photos showing up in their posts. They are spinning this as a benefit for large commercial accounts versus a hit on small users...

Thanks for this. I saw this too and was a little confused as to who was grandfathered in. I also have the Plus 20 and I'm due for renewal. I would of probably done it but since I already purchased a web host and transferred all my images and relinked everything, no point in renewing for another year.

Either way, they lost my business. I've also been getting emails for "discounts" if I renew.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Peak Design Capture Clip, Slide Sling, Slide Lite Strap | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,269 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jul 11, 2017 23:43 |  #153

scriveyn wrote in post #18391862 (external link)
I have restored most of my affected images here on POTN, except for those where I had included more than 2 in one post.

Several of your posts still have the gray PB blob in the thread Birds w/ 200mm or less. I went through it today to find mine. Searches of the Birds forum and then of just that thread failed to identify all my posts there. The only sure-fire way I know of is to scroll through all the pages.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,269 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Jul 11, 2017 23:57 |  #154

Pekka wrote in post #18392330 (external link)
if photobucket does not revert the decision and lift their embed ban and ad delivery system soon I'll do this

------------

- all photobucket images will get "banned" from being embedded: they will instead display a text and a link to the image. Something like:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Pekka in
./showthread.php?p=183​92330&i=i130162494
forum: Photography Industry News
The effect would be instant over the whole forum. The ban is only "virtual" which means the actual embed codes are not touched, because:

- all members who have functional photobucket embedding (i.e a paid account there) will be
added to a "white list" which allows normal embedded image display from photobucket.

If you do this, will the name of the link still show when a member hits EDIT? To find the image to restore within a post (not on a gallery page), I need its name. I definitely do not intend to have a paid PB account, never ever.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

scriveyn
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Jul 12, 2017 07:21 |  #155

OhLook wrote in post #18400001 (external link)
Several of your posts still have the gray PB blob in the thread Birds w/ 200mm or less.

Thanks OhLook, I've now fixed a few more.

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,241 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Pekka. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 12, 2017 08:36 |  #156

OhLook wrote in post #18400006 (external link)
If you do this, will the name of the link still show when a member hits EDIT? To find the image to restore within a post (not on a gallery page), I need its name. I definitely do not intend to have a paid PB account, never ever.

Yes, the bbcode stays intact and you can see in edit mode, the message is shown only in rendered post. I will do it this way as there is always a chance those accounts can share once again.

I intend to release AMASS 2.0 in couple of weeks time, and it will have above PB ban feature. I will add a personal message to the OP next to the PB error message which explains how to "release" the image embedding prevention from his/her PB images here (most likely it will be a simple "yes/no" setting in FYEO).

I feel that PB make a seriously wrong decision to prevent embedding. Even sites like PB, 500px and Flickr can not stay on top of Google without being linked to by millions of sites. When the embedding stops, the traffic there stops, no more tons of visible links to advertise that service in forums/blogs/articles. Less visibility to public, strong negative vibes, greed --> interest stops. Sharing only by "linked visiting" does not work very far, great images call people to see a gallery, not just mere links.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,268 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Wilt. 11 edits done in total.
Jul 12, 2017 09:18 |  #157

markeb wrote in post #18399804 (external link)

policies?

hosting available.

subscription.

Interesting to see this new twist...it does leave me a bit perplexed, however. So 'paid' accounts pre-existing June 1, 2017 continue to work fine with 3rd party hosting until Dec 31, 2018.
I have a 'free' account (only 2GB) but with the ad-free paid option...so I wonder if I technically fall into the 'paid' accounts pre-existing June 1, 2017 category; as of now my links still work fine!

Pekka wrote in post #18392330 (external link)
I have done some tests and there can be a simple code solution in AMASS to all those forced ads replacing pb images. There are over 400,000 posts which have some photobucket images embedded.

if photobucket does not revert the decision and lift their embed ban and ad delivery system soon I'll do this

------------

- all photobucket images will get "banned" from being embedded: they will instead display a text and a link to the image. Something like:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Pekka in
./showthread.php?p=183​92330&i=i130162494
forum: Photography Industry News
The effect would be instant over the whole forum. The ban is only "virtual" which means the actual embed codes are not touched, because:

- all members who have functional photobucket embedding (i.e a paid account there) will be
added to a "white list" which allows normal embedded image display from photobucket.

------------

I'll do now some work to find those members who have functional pb accounts, if you have one please reply to this post.

ABOVE POLICY IS NOT ACTIVE YET. It will be activated if photobucket keeps the embed ban policy. We'll wait few days to see about that.

Pekka, I am trying to understand the implications of such an action (above) upon folks like me...I have a free PB account with the no-ads paid option, and all of my links appear to still remain functional on the various forums in which I participate. So after your next POTN software release, what happens to MY still-functioning links to PB...do they stop working by virtue of the POTN software new 'PB ban'? and what happens if I 'release'

And in seeking alternative hosting sites to use, I am considering Google Photos, but only if you can provide instructions to how the Google "https:" link to a photo can be parsed by POTN as a hot link (that is, one which does not have to be clicked on by a post reader to see the linked image)...instructions from anyone on how to do that?

Google Photos link ...what changes to parse this to a hot link? "https://photos.google​.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipP​RMW2XuJ5gAhcZ4Ue_4MPam​US4a_Z2iTxIy_JE"

(Like some other folks, I only seek a site to host images intended for forum posts on various web forums, and am not seeking 'photo storage' but merely a place for selected copies to reside. Sometimes the limit of images stored in POTN and used within a thread/post on POTN does not work for me.)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Jul 12, 2017 09:35 |  #158

I've been a pay customer at Photobucket for 12 years. I'm told I have until the end of 2018 to continue 3rd party sharing but right now I'm getting "Image Failed to Load" icons in my posts here. They may have a server problem, not sure but I have a request in to support at PB. Things have worsened over the past few years there but this is likely the final straw. I'm a hobbyist and there's no way I'm paying $400 a year for hosting, especially at a site with such poor customer service and site stability. I have an extensive gallery here at POTN that I may repopulate with my images by hosting them here. Honestly I don't know how long that will take to complete, seems monumental. I'm not clear on how to relink each image into its original post but I feel confident with some assistance I can get at least most of my gallery set up here.

Alternatively I've started to research a new hosting site as a possibility, so I appreciate all the input given here. If I get a new host site set up I'm sure I'll have questions on how to best restore the images I've posted here over the years.

It really is mind boggling how Photobucket would build a business plan that breaks all the rules of marketing 101. I've been in advertising as a creative for almost 40 years and I've never seen anything quite like it.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
My Astro Gallery http://s3.photobucket.​com ...7/Nighthd/POTN%20Ga​llery/external link

Wilt
39,268 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Jul 12, 2017 10:14 |  #159

Someone in this thread had posted a link to a PB support series of messages, and my reading this seems to provide some insight into the motivations at PB and the reasons behind the non-functioning 3rd party hosting links...excessive use of bandwidth. This reply quoted by someone as the PB response to his inquiry:

"Thanks for emailing us. Your images have been replaced with the “Look who’s popular” icon because you have used 100% of your bandwidth. Your account has been restricted for excessive usage and 3rd party hosting. In order to restore your account, please upgrade to a Plus 500 subscription.

"Please note that your bandwidth limit is not related to your photo storage limit – they are two different things. Your storage limit is related to how many images/videos you’re uploading to Photobucket.com. Your bandwidth limit gauges how many times someone has viewed your image.

"Click here to learn more about bandwidth.

"You can remove this bandwidth cap by subscribing to a Plus 500 subscription. Plus 500 users get 500 GB of storage, unlimited linking, and unlimited 3rd party hosting benefits. To upgrade to a Plus 500 account, click your username and click on ‘Get More’ above your storage limit bar. Once you’ve completed your purchase, please email us back so we can update your account."

So perhaps some folks like me, who do not use PB in any commercial manner and do not show lots of images to lots of 'clients' (consuming bandwidth), still have functioning links as a result.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PhotosGuy
74,864 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jul 12, 2017 10:20 |  #160

Wilt wrote in post #18400272 (external link)
To upgrade to a Plus 500 account, click your username and click on ‘Get More’ above your storage limit bar. Once you’ve completed your purchase, please email us back so we can update your account."

Geeez! They're going to do that one at a time? I suppose it doesn't matter with the number of people who aren't going to do it.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Wilt
39,268 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Wilt.
Jul 12, 2017 10:22 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post |  #161

We already see that place is not well managed by rational folks

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by PineBomb.
Jul 12, 2017 10:47 |  #162

Wilt wrote in post #18400278 (external link)
We already see that place is not well managed by rational folks

We know that management is scuttling its original business plan and its rapport with its historic customer base. That doesn't mean they don't have a strategic business rationale for doing so.

EDIT: or as you've suggested they've lost their damned minds.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,269 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Jul 12, 2017 11:11 |  #163

Pekka wrote in post #18400223 (external link)
Yes, the bbcode stays intact and you can see in edit mode, the message is shown only in rendered post. I will do it this way as there is always a chance those accounts can share once again.

Thank you!

Nighthound wrote in post #18400251 (external link)
I've been a pay customer at Photobucket for 12 years. I'm told I have until the end of 2018 to continue 3rd party sharing but right now I'm getting "Image Failed to Load" icons in my posts here.

For old posts, or when you link to a new PB image? Occasionally I get that icon when I upload to POTN's server, and refreshing the page brings forth the image.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Jul 12, 2017 11:29 |  #164

Nighthound wrote in post #18400251 (external link)
I've been a pay customer at Photobucket for 12 years. I'm told I have until the end of 2018 to continue 3rd party sharing but right now I'm getting "Image Failed to Load" icons in my posts here. They may have a server problem, not sure but I have a request in to support at PB. Things have worsened over the past few years there but this is likely the final straw. I'm a hobbyist and there's no way I'm paying $400 a year for hosting, especially at a site with such poor customer service and site stability. I have an extensive gallery here at POTN that I may repopulate with my images by hosting them here. Honestly I don't know how long that will take to complete, seems monumental. I'm not clear on how to relink each image into its original post but I feel confident with some assistance I can get at least most of my gallery set up here.

Alternatively I've started to research a new hosting site as a possibility, so I appreciate all the input given here. If I get a new host site set up I'm sure I'll have questions on how to best restore the images I've posted here over the years.

It really is mind boggling how Photobucket would build a business plan that breaks all the rules of marketing 101. I've been in advertising as a creative for almost 40 years and I've never seen anything quite like it.

Here is a link to someone here offering web host for POTN members - http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​394992

A few members have been using it. I just signed up and so far, I'm very satisfied. I downloaded all my PB images and uploaded it to the new web host.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Peak Design Capture Clip, Slide Sling, Slide Lite Strap | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,391 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Pekka with reason 'deleted part referring to a deleted post'. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 12, 2017 12:52 |  #165

Good rates, this will cost you around $40 a year, but you also get your own email farm, etc. This way, you can start to use email addresses for signing up for things, etc and keep your real personal email just for friends/family. Once you have used up an email address, just delete the account.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

34,735 views & 125 likes for this thread
Photobucket Goes Rogue
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.